Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Try another state, Work in mines, or return to UK ?!

Try another state, Work in mines, or return to UK ?!

Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Try another state, Work in mines, or return to UK ?!

Oh I love these dilemma's ...

Just wondering if anyone had much info on these 'mines jobs' and are the stories of megabucks pw true? ...

Basically got 2 adults and 2 teen kids wondering is all the work ethic bollox here (Gold Coast) REALLY worth it for a bit of sunshine ?!

Currently 4 - 0 saying no ...

Any pointers on where I can find these $100 ph jobs just to drive trucks up and down mines in WA?

Cheers
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:52 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Try another state, Work in mines, or return to UK ?!

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Just wondering if anyone had much info on these 'mines jobs' and are the stories of megabucks pw true? ...

Basically got 2 adults and 2 teen kids wondering is all the work ethic bollox here (Gold Coast) REALLY worth it for a bit of sunshine ?!

Any pointers on where I can find these $100 ph jobs just to drive trucks up and down mines in WA?

Cheers
Oh Paul I thought you were settled - new home, PR, your new(ish) job

I think you can earn good money on the mines or on the oil rigs but its hard work, its time away from your family - I listen to the tales the boys at work tell me about working away from home and how hard it is to settle back into a routine once home from a stint away and it isnt easy - on both sides.

I thought you liked your new job,

Would you really go back to the UK?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Oh Paul I thought you were settled - new home, PR, your new(ish) job

I think you can earn good money on the mines or on the oil rigs but its hard work, its time away from your family - I listen to the tales the boys at work tell me about working away from home and how hard it is to settle back into a routine once home from a stint away and it isnt easy - on both sides.

I thought you liked your new job,

I did / do! ... but good ole office politics and one rule for one, one another is hard to deal with.

Nic's not been happy with admin work here as you know, and has more grit than me as she's stuck it with current employer for over a year cos she knows there's sweet FA else out there!

Ashley is now getting ****ed about with her work. Promised a week night off, then told she's GOTTA work em. No sight of a contract since going permanent 6 months ago! ... blah blah

The boy's happy as he went back to school, but see's the agg / stress we all go thru here and is batting for the same side anyway.

Still, at least the sun's out eh!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Oh and biggest regret we have is giving up my cab licence. Smart move that one eh!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
in engineering the work ethic here is no different from the UK - don't know about other industries.

FIFO pays big bucks but can be hard on family life - especially if you are a close family. Breaking into mining can be either very easy or extremely hard - if not impossible. If you get hired by a mining/mining supply company then they will sort you out. Try and do it off your own back and you will find many obstacles. Contacting some mining companies would be a good start to see where you stand.

The UK will sort itself out in the medium term - new government has made a good start anyway. In the short term, UK is going to go through a lot of pain and I think the worst is yet to come. It's not a place that I would want to live in the next 3-5 years.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:53 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I did / do! ... but good ole office politics and one rule for one, one another is hard to deal with.

Nic's not been happy with admin work here as you know, and has more grit than me as she's stuck it with current employer for over a year cos she knows there's sweet FA else out there!

Ashley is now getting ****ed about with her work. Promised a week night off, then told she's GOTTA work em. No sight of a contract since going permanent 6 months ago! ... blah blah

The boy's happy as he went back to school, but see's the agg / stress we all go thru here and is batting for the same side anyway.

Still, at least the sun's out eh!

In the UK I had so many crap jobs where I was treated badly I never thought I would find a job that I enjoyed.

Work is hard at the moment, pretty stressful but I work with good people, some days I dont want to go in due to work politics but Ive learned the hard way that its the same wherever you live.

There are nice jobs out there, my god ive had more jobs than bras but I have found that I work to earn the money to pay my mortage and I make my home life extra nice with my friends/husband so that whatever kind of shite day Ive had, I have nice stuff in my private life.

Hope you work it out Paul.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
in engineering the work ethic here is no different from the UK - don't know about other industries.

FIFO pays big bucks but can be hard on family life - especially if you are a close family. Breaking into mining can be either very easy or extremely hard - if not impossible. If you get hired by a mining/mining supply company then they will sort you out. Try and do it off your own back and you will find many obstacles. Contacting some mining companies would be a good start to see where you stand.

The UK will sort itself out in the medium term - new government has made a good start anyway. In the short term, UK is going to go through a lot of pain and I think the worst is yet to come. It's not a place that I would want to live in the next 3-5 years.
The UK is last resort, I admit to that, and prob just a dummy spit if I'm perfectly honest ... ... but ...

Oh I dunno! ...

Thanks for the input ...
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:00 am
Account Closed

In the UK I had so many crap jobs where I was treated badly I never thought I would find a job that I enjoyed.

Work is hard at the moment, pretty stressful but I work with good people, some days I dont want to go in due to work politics but Ive learned the hard way that its the same wherever you live.

There are nice jobs out there, my god ive had more jobs than bras but I have found that I work to earn the money to pay my mortage and I make my home life extra nice with my friends/husband so that whatever kind of shite day Ive had, I have nice stuff in my private life.

Hope you work it out Paul.
Well for me I've always been self employed so new grounds, but Nic says she's NEVER been treated / spoken to like she has here! ... and expected to keep her gob shut too. Answer back and you're a trouble maker or a whinging pom!

I dunno, only ever wanted a simple life. Earn / sleep / play etc but with your work time being such a big chuck of your day, it's hard when you're all basically unhappy with it!

Sun's still out tho!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is last resort, I admit to that, and prob just a dummy spit if I'm perfectly honest ... ... but ...

Oh I dunno! ...

Thanks for the input ...
My thoughts, mines, jobs often who you know, partner used to work in them, not really for those with young family, but your kids are like ours?? teens, older.

100 K a year is no escape from wanker bosses, wanker workmates, often the more they pay the more they expect.

Glad your boys gone back to school, you need quals to peel a banana here.

Other states offer different stuff, ( to some extent, its still australia ) job situation no different IME. Unless that state has some shortage of your skills probably the work thing will be the same.

Where do your kids look likely to end up, will they like many that age get bored rigid/lack a future in OZ and drift back, that side of it is worth a lot of thought too.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Paul, very sorry that you are all feeling the way you are right now. It is hard enough when one is down without you all feeding each other with your discontent. Try to keep some perspective & also remember just how much you have already been through to get this far. Perhaps you should re-read your thread from when you went back to the UK to do taxi work short term!

We have a couple of neighbours who do FIFO to the mines & my understanding is that it can be very hard to get in to unless you have contacts but it is not impossible. Do you have truck licences?

You also should not underestimate how hard it can be to be away from your family like that. My husband worked away for 5 months, coming home most weekends but it was a huge strain.

Thinking of you & hope that the feeling passes or you work something out
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Im in WA and have a lot of mine families in town.
Hubby is a teacher and noticed with most of the parents its Divorce city here!

You might get the big bucks, but it looks like you could have a higher chance of ending up in splitzville if fifo.

Gems
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Cheers
its sad to here but i feel the same at the minute. I am thinkin about going down the mines for a couple of years or going back to the uk. Gave up alot in the uk but i dont know if life is better here. All this talk of doom and gloom does not help either.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:48 am
Account Closed

To be honest 3 of us are thinking about it. My daughter reckons a friend is now in WA earning $140ph to drive trucks! Dunno if it's just 'one of them tales' or what, but heard many like it before! Apparently he does 2 weeks on, one week off! We'd fly over for the 2 and back here for the 1. The boy is 18 soon and capable of running this ship while we're away.

I dunno tho, and how easy is it to actually get these jobs?

Oh and the kids? Well our daughter has mentioned going back before. She's had serious issues with a boyfriend here and currently got a DVA out on him, poor girl! She's getting REALLY messed about at work now and been in tears a lot recently. Both me and Nic suffer with depression so are worried about possible tell tale signs ?! She's currently sitting next to me now looking on the wonderful SEEK for an admin role. She's been running a bar and they just can't let her off at weekends so is over it all now and just wants a 9 - 5 for a bit. Long term going back to study is probable.

The boy after a break from school seems quite motivated about his future. He's looking into a possible draughtsman type of career and got his head down at school so yeah, fingers crossed he'll be peeling nice banana's one day ...
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mark wool
its sad to here but i feel the same at the minute. I am thinkin about going down the mines for a couple of years or going back to the uk. Gave up alot in the uk but i dont know if life is better here. All this talk of doom and gloom does not help either.
Yeah I guess we all give up a lot, but we got we came for - PR, and can get citizenship now but simply can't afford it ...lol

If I still had me cab licence I'd be seriously thinking about a 6 month here 6 month there deal but, ...

Ahhh, that 'but' word again! ...

Damn I'm pissed off!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I guess we all give up a lot, but we got we came for - PR, and can get citizenship now but simply can't afford it ...lol

If I still had me cab licence I'd be seriously thinking about a 6 month here 6 month there deal but, ...

Ahhh, that 'but' word again! ...

Damn I'm pissed off!
I know we feel the same. we feel everything is expensive and my wife is strugglin for work and it looks like we have to put the kids in childcare. If a recession hits here i will be straight on the plane. I to have been self employed for the last 12 years and am finding that working for someone again is a real bummer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.