Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Try another state, Work in mines, or return to UK ?!

Try another state, Work in mines, or return to UK ?!

Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:48 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default Re: Try another state, Work in mines, or return to UK ?!

But of course please bear in mind that if you can get a mining job, in many (though not all) of the mining areas the accomodation provided is very poor and there are areas of little or no facilities (although I hear exotic dancing pulls in quite a bit of cash in those areas!) the accom when found is usually exorbitant as not much choice up there so you can spend a fair bit of your money on accom or find yourself sharing....
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:53 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Paul, you guys have been through so much, maybe now is the time when things are actually a bit settled and thats why areas such as disliking workplace etc have risen.
Maybe Nic needs to stop and take stock of where shes at, what she wants to do for her future career.
The kids are going to flee the nest at some point - you are just preparing them...its tough for kids to chose what they want to do as careers, maybe your daughter should look at any job, admin jobs are so highly in demand, but any job would do whilst she got more life experience.

At least the sun is shining there, its raining here....
keep looking at options mate and hang in there xxxx
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:35 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh well, cards marked now!

Turned up for work today and was took straight into a meeting with the boss.

My supervisor was told by a fellow collegue that I was gonna chuck a sicky (oooo, an australian grass someone up? ... nooooooo!) and as a result I've been given my first warning. 2 and I'm out, so don't need to be a rocket scientist to see where this is goin!

2 (TWO) people I told. TWO so called friends! ... but I think I'm learning about 'friends' here ...

Oh someone please get me out of here!!!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boobops
I know exactly what you mean about jobs here. I've been struggling to get admin work for the last six months and the replies I did get stated that they'd had over 150 applicants per job! Like you say how do you compete? The chances of landing an interview are near on impossible!

My teen is currently trying to get part time work, he must have applied to every big name co in australia plus dropped 100 odd flipping resume off in the local area.

Nothing, thats for a kid whos wages will be about $9 an hour. There is hardly anything right now.

On a different note, these threads often mention the 100k mark as 'big bucks ' retire at 50 if you earn that as if you earn that staying in OZ will be worth it/wonderful.

It really isnt that much after tax medicare private health cover.

It isnt enough to set you up let alone make you happy in the raining cash sense, in fact throw in a couple of hungry teens and you need a second income, i cant see how a few years on that would set you up for life, maybe if your some 23 year old single bloke who wouldnt blow it, but for a family its peanuts.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:51 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

My supervisor was told by a fellow collegue that I was gonna chuck a sicky (oooo, an australian grass someone up? ... nooooooo!) and as a result I've been given my first warning. 2 and I'm out, so don't need to be a rocket scientist to see where this is goin!

2 (TWO) people I told. TWO so called friends! ... but I think I'm learning about 'friends' here ...

In my office people let on they are going to chuck sickies all the time, they are open about it.

I am having something delivered on Monday and needed the time off, my colleague said 'throw a sickie'. Mr PP got the time off in the end but I cant believe how open they are about doing it.

What are you going to do? I guess keep your head down till it all blows over but dont trust your colleagues which is a shame. But I suppose if you can prove your supervisor wrong and not take any time off then it should all smooth over.

Then I would piss in your colleagues tea for being a snake in the grass.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
In my office people let on they are going to chuck sickies all the time, they are open about it.

I am having something delivered on Monday and needed the time off, my colleague said 'throw a sickie'. Mr PP got the time off in the end but I cant believe how open they are about doing it.

What are you going to do? I guess keep your head down till it all blows over but dont trust your colleagues which is a shame. But I suppose if you can prove your supervisor wrong and not take any time off then it should all smooth over.

Then I would piss in your colleagues tea for being a snake in the grass.
Cards marked Sam, seen it here before. If a certain person doesn't like you then you get moved on. All this 'warning' bollox is just to cover their back when they sack you (reasoning).

The last guy this mob did it to wasn't worried AS LONG AS HE WAS SACKED as you can't get dole otherwise!

That's what I've come to! ... sitting tight 'hoping' to get the sack! ... ****in bollox and am over it now.

Phone call tonight to see if I can get my licence back and depending on what's involved, I could be returning to the UK again soon ... lovely!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
thats for a kid whos wages will be about $9 an hour
and normally snapped up! Macca's and alike will employ a trillion of these type as it's often 2 or 3 for one!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I agree they are bad are dobbing here. Especially compared to Londoners at any rate.

Although those warning you get, from what I've seen they do carry credence and are usually bona fide. You can carry on past them if you want. Just means you cant take a Sickie without a doctors certificate as back up and the possibility of your employer phoning the doctors to check. The Warnings generally mean you cannot repeat the same behaviour twice... if your next discretion is different then it's the first warning for that kind of new behaviour.

I would be going for the Licence though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 11th 2010 at 4:26 am.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:21 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Cards marked Sam, seen it here before. If a certain person doesn't like you then you get moved on. All this 'warning' bollox is just to cover their back when they sack you (reasoning).

The last guy this mob did it to wasn't worried AS LONG AS HE WAS SACKED as you can't get dole otherwise!

That's what I've come to! ... sitting tight 'hoping' to get the sack! ... ****in bollox and am over it now.

Phone call tonight to see if I can get my licence back and depending on what's involved, I could be returning to the UK again soon ... lovely!
Will you rent your house out or sell it? Its a lovely house, you would have no probs selling that on.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I agree they are bad are dobbing here. Especially compared to Londoners at any rate.

Although those warning you get, from what I've seen they do carry credence and are usually bona fide. You can carry on past them if you want. Just means you cant take a Sickie without a doctors certificate as back up and the possibility of your employer phoning the doctors to check. The Warnings generally mean you cannot repeat the same behaviour twice... if your next discretion is different then it's the first warning for that kind of new behaviour.

I would be going for the Licence though.
I was bought up to NEVER grass on your own, NEVER!

Dirty lot of bastards if you ask me.

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Will you rent your house out or sell it? Its a lovely house, you would have no probs selling that on.
Pop the keys thru the letterbox on way out I reckon. I've paid almost $10k for some insurance policy to cover this.

****in gutted Sam! LOVE my house, love a lot of things here, but some of it stinks soooooooo bad ...

Beggars liars and thieves!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:01 am

I was bought up to NEVER grass on your own, NEVER!

Dirty lot of bastards if you ask me.

Pop the keys thru the letterbox on way out I reckon. I've paid almost $10k for some insurance policy to cover this.

****in gutted Sam! LOVE my house, love a lot of things here, but some of it stinks soooooooo bad ...

Beggars liars and thieves!
I was taught never to grass unless it was something really bad as in to do with kids, in which case if I knew a mate was a kiddy fiddler then his arse would be grassed with no hesitation..

Has your dog had his rabies shots to get him back to the UK?
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
But of course please bear in mind that if you can get a mining job, in many (though not all) of the mining areas the accomodation provided is very poor and there are areas of little or no facilities (although I hear exotic dancing pulls in quite a bit of cash in those areas!) the accom when found is usually exorbitant as not much choice up there so you can spend a fair bit of your money on accom or find yourself sharing....
From what I have seen you couldn't be further from the truth. The mine sites that I have been to are fantastic - great accomodation, facilities, food, electronic entertainment. In fact, the mine village we are designing at the moment will have 100Mb internet in every room - 4 times the speed that the rest of Australia gets! Sure, there is not much to do but then you are in the middle of a wilderness. There are some dodgy sites in Port Hedland, Karratha etc but there also some nice ones.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jun 11th 2010 at 5:07 am.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear about your situation but this has not been my experience here. I have had shit jobs in Australia but I had those in the UK and South Africa. If I don't like a job I move on - you should do the same. It's only a job.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm sorry to hear about your situation but this has not been my experience here. I have had shit jobs in Australia but I had those in the UK and South Africa. If I don't like a job I move on - you should do the same. It's only a job.
Am looking with open eyes. All I see is black tho!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:13 am

Am looking with open eyes. All I see is black tho!
Would you consider renting out your house, if it doesnt work out in the UK then you have the option of coming back here to your own property.

That would be harder if you just handed back the keys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.