Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The true picture

The true picture

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

alibaba1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The true picture

Let me start by saying hello to everyone ,now let me bore you with probably something that's been asked a million times on here ,i have been thinking of moving to Australia from Scotland .just now its just that thinking, my partner is a plasterer and has been doing his job for 18 years i have filled in a couple of those online visa forms i know they are just a rough guide to what your score will be but we scored 120 i,m all for trying for a visa if we get it selling our house and using that money to move ,live of ,and rent thats me!! my hubby likes the idea but is far more cautious his main worry is finding work as a plasterer so my question to the good people on here is is there alot of work for plasterers and what sort of weekly wage can he expect to earn would you recommend the move and where sorry alot of questions but i would be grateful for some answers xx
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

mark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The true picture

Hi Ali,

Outside Rendering is much more in demand in Oz than the UK, inside plastering is not so common especially on new builds.(Generally speaking)

There is always heaps of work in Sydney for plasterers, as there are a lot of traditional built propeties., I know a few plasteres in Sydney, and they have never been short of work.
Wages.....Not sure but it will be in the reigion of $200-$300 per day...most trades earn good money and there is very little down time...as the weather is much better.

Hows that for starters ??
Cheers,
Mark
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mark1963
Hi Ali,

Outside Rendering is much more in demand in Oz than the UK, inside plastering is not so common especially on new builds.(Generally speaking)

There is always heaps of work in Sydney for plasterers, as there are a lot of traditional built propeties., I know a few plasteres in Sydney, and they have never been short of work.
Wages.....Not sure but it will be in the reigion of $200-$300 per day...most trades earn good money and there is very little down time...as the weather is much better.

Hows that for starters ??
Cheers,
Mark
fantastic me and the kids really do have our hearts set on the idea which i want to make reality its just getting him to relax a little i understand the last thing he wants is to move to the other side of the world only for us to struggle to find work thank you xx
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alibaba1977
fantastic me and the kids really do have our hearts set on the idea which i want to make reality its just getting him to relax a little i understand the last thing he wants is to move to the other side of the world only for us to struggle to find work thank you xx
Well it might sound great but $300 a day, five days a week, 52 weeks a year comes out at $78,000. That will look great from the UK but its NOT massive wages for Sydney. It's OK, but don't expect it to be easy on that money.

What I mean is that if you are sitting in the UK and someone says you can earn $80k a year, you plug that into www.xe.com and it comes out and says thats over 46 thousand pounds a year.... and you go whoa, that's bloody good money... and in the UK it most certainly is... but that $80k a year here in Australia will NOT buy you the same lifestyle that 46 grand a year in the UK would.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jul 23rd 2010 at 11:05 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
but that $80k a year here in Australia will NOT buy you the same lifestyle that 46 grand a year in the UK would.
£46,000 is about 1.67 x the median UK wage.
So for comparision: 1.67 x the Australian Median wage is about $100,000

Old Jul 24th 2010, 5:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Let me start by saying hello to everyone ,now let me bore you with probably something that's been asked a million times on here ,i have been thinking of moving to Australia from Scotland .just now its just that thinking, my partner is a plasterer and has been doing his job for 18 years i have filled in a couple of those online visa forms i know they are just a rough guide to what your score will be but we scored 120 i,m all for trying for a visa if we get it selling our house and using that money to move ,live of ,and rent thats me!! my hubby likes the idea but is far more cautious his main worry is finding work as a plasterer so my question to the good people on here is is there alot of work for plasterers and what sort of weekly wage can he expect to earn would you recommend the move and where sorry alot of questions but i would be grateful for some answers xx
Can I suggest you PM member "Robert Cowan" who emigrated 4 years ago and is a plasterer in Melbourne. He will give you the good news that it's a very different trade here to what it is in the UK.

BB
Old Jul 25th 2010, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well it might sound great but $300 a day, five days a week, 52 weeks a year comes out at $78,000. That will look great from the UK but its NOT massive wages for Sydney. It's OK, but don't expect it to be easy on that money.

What I mean is that if you are sitting in the UK and someone says you can earn $80k a year, you plug that into www.xe.com and it comes out and says thats over 46 thousand pounds a year.... and you go whoa, that's bloody good money... and in the UK it most certainly is... but that $80k a year here in Australia will NOT buy you the same lifestyle that 46 grand a year in the UK would.
Absolutely correct, $78K wage in Sydney/Perth/Melboune is nowhere near enough for comfortable lifestyle unless partner is working full time as well. If you are doing OK in UK its a no brainer at the moment. And forget about better lifestyle, it doesn't happen for tradies. Beaches are really unimportant when you can't pay the mortgage.
Just my opinion, leaving a secure job in UK to come here without at least equivelant paying one lined up nowadays is financial illiteracy and stupidity.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:08 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I know people who wouldn't even get out of bed for that kind of money. People earn $150 a day working at McDonalds. It's not a bad wage though in general but You would need your partner to work as well or after tax your looking at a dangerous outer suburb for rent and little money left over for anything but it's doable

Last edited by Weebie; Jul 25th 2010 at 5:15 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:43 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark1963
Not sure but it will be in the reigion of $200-$300 per day...
I reckon $250 australian dollars has about the same purchasing power as GBP100 in Sydney.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:47 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The true picture

Originally Posted by asprilla
I reckon $250 australian dollars has about the same purchasing power as GBP100 in Sydney.
I reckon in Melbourne that would be right too. And that would apply to earnings too. So for every £10,000 you earn in the UK, you should be looking for an income of $25,000 here. Otherwise you will not have as much spending power from your income.

BB

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Jul 25th 2010 at 10:50 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I reckon in Melbourne that would be right too. And that would apply to earnings too. So for every £10,000 you earn in the UK, you should be looking for an income of $25,000 here. Otherwise you will not have as much spending power from your income.

BB
cheers BB i have been told to stop ranting on by my other half he has two cousins in melbourn one in a bit called mooroolbark[ i think its called ]who moved from our town a few years ago he is a carpenter so we are waiting to get his email addy and will contact him and see how he compares life there to life here once again thanks to everyone
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

stevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nice

cheers BB i have been told to stop ranting on by my other half he has two cousins in melbourn one in a bit called mooroolbark[ i think its called ]who moved from our town a few years ago he is a carpenter so we are waiting to get his email addy and will contact him and see how he compares life there to life here once again thanks to everyone
Hi I AM IN THE SAME POSITION 2 ALSO FROM SCOTLAND EXCEPT I AM A JOINER/CARPENTER AND I HAVE MY HEART SET ON A MOVE AS WELL! I ALSO AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING INFORMATION ON HOW IN DEMAND MY JOB IS TO. AS FOR THE COMMENT PLACED EARLIER ABOUT IF YOUR JOB IS SAFE IN THE UK LOL WHAT A JOKE THERE IS NO WORK HERE SO MUCH FOR THE ECONOMY GETTING BETTER BRITAIN IS REALLY REALLY BAD AT THE MOMENT. SORRY NO DISRESPECT TO YOUR COMMENT ITS JUST THAT IT IS REALLY SERIOUSLY BAD.. I NO HUNDREDS OF TRADESMEN THAT HAVE BEEN SAT IN THERE HOUSE FOR THE LAST YEAR BEING GOOD HOUSE HUSBANDS LOL.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevie87db
Hi I AM IN THE SAME POSITION 2 ALSO FROM SCOTLAND EXCEPT I AM A JOINER/CARPENTER AND I HAVE MY HEART SET ON A MOVE AS WELL! I ALSO AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING INFORMATION ON HOW IN DEMAND MY JOB IS TO. AS FOR THE COMMENT PLACED EARLIER ABOUT IF YOUR JOB IS SAFE IN THE UK LOL WHAT A JOKE THERE IS NO WORK HERE SO MUCH FOR THE ECONOMY GETTING BETTER BRITAIN IS REALLY REALLY BAD AT THE MOMENT. SORRY NO DISRESPECT TO YOUR COMMENT ITS JUST THAT IT IS REALLY SERIOUSLY BAD.. I NO HUNDREDS OF TRADESMEN THAT HAVE BEEN SAT IN THERE HOUSE FOR THE LAST YEAR BEING GOOD HOUSE HUSBANDS LOL.
Blimey, I couldn't get a tradesperson in UK for love nor money quite recently, all booked out solid for weeks.

By the way, your caps lock key apears to be stuck in the on position.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

stevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Blimey, I couldn't get a tradesperson in UK for love nor money quite recently, all booked out solid for weeks.

By the way, your caps lock key apears to be stuck in the on position.
I know just couldn't be bothered switching them off lol. It must have been the only place in Britain then. I am not exaggerating when I said. You will have to let me no where you where!!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stevie87db
I know just couldn't be bothered switching them off lol. It must have been the only place in Britain then. I am not exaggerating when I said. You will have to let me no where you where!!
hey your talking the truth i know firms who had 30-40 lads working for them now down to 3 and if this government gets its way it will get worse if all the council refurbs are cut and new houses stop getting built

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.