Trouser Snakes

Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trouser Snakes

Traveller carried eight snakes in his trousers, customs say
September 25, 2003

These four emerald tree boas survived a nine-hour flight from Thailand, strapped to a man's legs, before being rescued by customs.

An alleged wildlife smuggler tried to enter Australia with eight snakes, including four highly venomous king cobras, strapped to his legs.

The man was stopped by customs officials at Sydney Airport after arriving from Thailand.

The cobras are believed to have died during the nine-hour flight but four non-venomous emerald tree boas survived.

Swedish national Per Johann Adolfsson, 28, was arrested on Monday night and was refused bail in Sydney's Central Local Court yesterday after being charged under the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Act.

Customs officials said the snakes had been stuffed into socks, then put into stocking-style bags, which were then strapped to the man's calves.

Federal Customs Minister Chris Ellison said the maximum penalty was a $110,000 fine and/or 10 years' jail.

"We've seen a prevalence of smuggling in relation to exotic animals, and reptiles particularly, and that is why this is of concern," Senator Ellison said.

Reptile experts said it was believed the deadly king cobras were babies or hatchlings that might have died of dehydration.

King cobras, which can grow up to five metres and are capable of killing an elephant, are found across Asia, including India, eastward to southern China, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia.

The surviving tree boas were given a clear bill of health by veterinarians at Taronga Zoo.

Veterinary officer Frances Hulst said on first examination that the boas consisted of two females, one male and one unknown. They appeared to be in good condition. Their fate rests with the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service.

The brilliant leaf green tree boas are usually found in the lower Amazon basin, Brazil and Guyana, and range from 71 to 94 centimetres in length.

Adolfsson was charged with importing a regulated live specimen and making a false or misleading statement to an officer. He was remanded to face court next Wednesday. AAP
Old Sep 25th 2003, 12:38 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

prefer the justin timberlake kind myself.

bondipom, are you bored?

ttfn
sue
Old Sep 25th 2003, 12:43 am

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
prefer the justin timberlake kind myself.

bondipom, are you bored?

ttfn
sue
In the last couple of weeks work has been getting to me. Time for new job I feel but the market out there is tough.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 12:51 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
In the last couple of weeks work has been getting to me. Time for new job I feel but the market out there is tough.

what would you like to do for a living? if you didnt do whatever it is you do now?

sue
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:00 am

what would you like to do for a living? if you didnt do whatever it is you do now?

sue
I enjoy my line of work however I have run out of challenges and I am not learning anymore. In IT I find that means get out time get new job and move up a level.

If I was to leave IT I have no idea what I would retrain as. I enjoy a complicated challenge and I get pride from completing a job. The most satisfying work (for me) is project work so I wouldn't mind moving into project management.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 7:58 am

I enjoy my line of work however I have run out of challenges and I am not learning anymore. In IT I find that means get out time get new job and move up a level.

If I was to leave IT I have no idea what I would retrain as. I enjoy a complicated challenge and I get pride from completing a job. The most satisfying work (for me) is project work so I wouldn't mind moving into project management.

no urges to open up a backpackers hostel/start a vineyard/go intoi the cut and thrust of property management then!!??
ooops, you said move UP a level didnt you!?
life has a way of popping up challenges when you least expect it!!

sue
Old Sep 25th 2003, 8:04 am

no urges to open up a backpackers hostel/start a vineyard/go intoi the cut and thrust of property management then!!??
ooops, you said move UP a level didnt you!?
life has a way of popping up challenges when you least expect it!!

sue
A scuzzpackers hostel is not a bad idea as you can just employ the dirty scum on slave labour wages. Not sure if I could get the cleaners though. Vineyards are currently a guaranteed way of losing money. I don't know about property.

2 years ago I was thrown a challenge (imminent company closure) which is why I came here. The same might happen next year.

I have 2 choices
1 get more IT training
2 get retrained.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 8:14 am

A scuzzpackers hostel is not a bad idea as you can just employ the dirty scum on slave labour wages. Not sure if I could get the cleaners though. Vineyards are currently a guaranteed way of losing money. I don't know about property.

2 years ago I was thrown a challenge (imminent company closure) which is why I came here. The same might happen next year.

I have 2 choices
1 get more IT training
2 get retrained.

re 2 get retrained - but what as!!!???!!!!????
a nurse? an electrician? (thinking of that one meself, I'm fed up of wiping arses for a living!) an accountant? how about a migration agent!? the worlds your oyster.............

sue