Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trouble making friends

Trouble making friends

Old May 5th 2011, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trouble making friends

Hi there!

I'm currently in Calgary, Canada and I have noticed on the Canadian forum site that a number of BE'rs complain that it is very difficult to make friends with the local population (terms like stand-offish and boring are being bandied-about). So just out of curiosity, do British expats in Aus. have the same problems, or is it just that Canadians are really not that friendly?
Old May 5th 2011, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trouble making friends

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Hi there!

I'm currently in Calgary, Canada and I have noticed on the Canadian forum site that a number of BE'rs complain that it is very difficult to make friends with the local population (terms like stand-offish and boring are being bandied-about). So just out of curiosity, do British expats in Aus. have the same problems, or is it just that Canadians are really not that friendly?
British Expats in Australia make hundreds of fantastic, lifelong friends the moment they land in the country...

Stand offish and boring is a term bandied about here, but its usually applied to the poms...

Hope that helps
Eds
Old May 5th 2011, 11:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

All us Canadians are a bunch of boring, unfriendly tossers. All 30 million of us.

All Australians are friendly, outgoing and welcoming. As Ed says, the moment you step off the plane you're besties.
Old May 6th 2011, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

Plenty of comments on the Australian Forum would suggest to you that it is very similar here in Australia.

Can be rather hard to engage here and rather cliquey as well.

Last edited by the troubadour; May 6th 2011 at 12:57 am.
Old May 6th 2011, 1:20 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

During my 4 years in Canada and my 6 years here I have made some good friends and some people I have met I haven't bothered trying to meet again. This is the same the world over. If I had moved within the UK to a different area I would have found exactly the same thing. People are a weird bunch and making friends is down to individual personalities, not the nationality IMO.
Old May 6th 2011, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
During my 4 years in Canada and my 6 years here I have made some good friends and some people I have met I haven't bothered trying to meet again. This is the same the world over. If I had moved within the UK to a different area I would have found exactly the same thing. People are a weird bunch and making friends is down to individual personalities, not the nationality IMO.
Mostly beg to differ though of course being human makes as only so much difference.Example moving from France,(where i lived a few years) to Australia,quickly noticed have much discomfort folk felt here when i invaded their personal space.
In France,one tends to shake hands every first meeting of the day and for opposite genders kiss on the cheek.This involves closeness and regarded as strange here.
Of course the Anglo Saxon countries are going to have marked similarities being culturally much the same.
Hence the comments on Canada and Australia appear not to express too dissimilar critique.
An out going personality profits more in a receptive enviroment than in a reserved more inward focusing one i feel.
Old May 6th 2011, 10:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Trouble making friends

Most people have a large circle of friends they've built up over several decades. This is usually achieved through an extended network of social connections with other friends and family.

You can't expect to replace all of this within a couple of short years in a foreign country. You're literally starting from scratch, without the advantage of the extended family and social connections you enjoyed back home. Naturally it will take longer, and people will seem more distant.

I found it easy to make friends in the UK, but only because I already had friends and family there before I arrived. I noticed it was much harder to make friends with people from scratch.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 6th 2011 at 10:27 am.
Old May 6th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Most people have a large circle of friends they've built up over several decades. This is usually achieved through an extended network of social connections with other friends and family.

You can't expect to replace all of this within a couple of short years in a foreign country. You're literally starting from scratch, without the advantage of the extended family and social connections you enjoyed back home. Naturally it will take longer, and people will seem more distant.

I found it easy to make friends in the UK, but only because I already had friends and family there before I arrived. I noticed it was much harder to make friends with people from scratch.
I think having children really helps - you make friends (or not) with the parents of their friends - you are coerced almost but it can work brilliantly. I have a few very close friends from this method and a few more distant, but certainly more than if I had been part of a couple or single.
Old May 6th 2011, 3:03 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Trouble making friends

Originally Posted by itigo
I think having children really helps - you make friends (or not) with the parents of their friends - you are coerced almost but it can work brilliantly. I have a few very close friends from this method and a few more distant, but certainly more than if I had been part of a couple or single.
Yep, it makes a huge difference if you have kids.
Old May 6th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I found that, at least when my daughter was very young. However, when she moved on to junior high, the old friendships tended to whither away and new friends were made. Being teenagers, they do not want their parents too involved in their social life, so the opportunity to meet the parents of the new kids does not arise as much, and because they not mixing with their old elementary school friends as much, you do tend to lose contact with the people you met through those contacts.
Old May 6th 2011, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I have found friendships here to be very situation specific - kids' schools, hobby activities, work etc and not that difficult to establish but not very persistent once the situation changes. I have very few long term friends here even after more than 3 decades - part of this is probably due to the itinerant nature of ACT, people tend to come and go quite a lot.

I dont much encounter the general "friendliness" of the community that I came from where you can have a chat with the person standing next to you in the queue for the supermarket and people rarely look you in the eye and say "good morning" when you walk past them in the street - not even in suburbia.
Old May 7th 2011, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I have found friendships here to be very situation specific - kids' schools, hobby activities, work etc and not that difficult to establish but not very persistent once the situation changes. I have very few long term friends here even after more than 3 decades - part of this is probably due to the itinerant nature of ACT, people tend to come and go quite a lot.

I dont much encounter the general "friendliness" of the community that I came from where you can have a chat with the person standing next to you in the queue for the supermarket and people rarely look you in the eye and say "good morning" when you walk past them in the street - not even in suburbia.
To experience friendliness you have to display friendliness inviting behaviour, smile as you approach, people reflect that back to you, say goodmorning first...most people can't help but mumble some greeting in response... As you cross paths more often they learn to expect some kind of interaction with you, that develops and eventually you'll notice more friendly people... You get back what you put in.... Talk to the person in the queue behind you, its REALLLLY hard not to respond
Old May 7th 2011, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Learn from the dog whisperer... No look, no talk, no touch makes dogs respond in a certain way... People are the same
Old May 7th 2011, 2:39 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
To experience friendliness you have to display friendliness inviting behaviour, smile as you approach, people reflect that back to you, say goodmorning first...most people can't help but mumble some greeting in response... As you cross paths more often they learn to expect some kind of interaction with you, that develops and eventually you'll notice more friendly people... You get back what you put in.... Talk to the person in the queue behind you, its REALLLLY hard not to respond
Sounds like an entertaining experiment
Old May 7th 2011, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Sounds like an entertaining experiment
Like...

"I can't believe the price of lettuce these days!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.