Reload this Page >

Travel restrictions on 475 visa

Travel restrictions on 475 visa

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Addy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel restrictions on 475 visa

Hi,

This might be a stupid question, but can I go to other cities in Australia while living on a 475 visa in Adelaide. Would i be able to travel to let's say Sydney or Melbourne just for a short stay.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

roottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really nice
Default Re: Travel restrictions on 475 visa

yes you have to stay within a 250 yards of your workplace
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Addy_1
Hi,

This might be a stupid question, but can I go to other cities in Australia while living on a 475 visa in Adelaide. Would i be able to travel to let's say Sydney or Melbourne just for a short stay.
No, You will have a ankle tag on and only can go out between 8am and 6pm,

Yes it is a stupid question you are here on a visa not probation.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

themac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billymacker
That's pretty harsh, no stupid questions IMO, just stupid replies from time to time.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Seachanger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themac
That's pretty harsh, no stupid questions IMO, just stupid replies from time to time.
Don't worry about making trips to non-regional areas - the restrictions on the visa are that you are not permitted to live, work or study anywhere other than one of the specified regional areas. You are allowed to take holidays and even make short business trips to non-regional areas as long as you comply with the overall work and residence requirements until your PR is granted.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

1235 has a brilliant future1235 has a brilliant future1235 has a brilliant future1235 has a brilliant future1235 has a brilliant future1235 has a brilliant future

As far as I know 475 is a 3 year provisional visa (+1 year if immi allows). If you want to apply for permanent resident you must prove, that within this three year you lived for min. two years and worked for min. 1 yr in regional australia. This means, that on 475 you can live and work whenever you want in australia but only living and working in regional australia for certain period of time allows you to apply for permanent residency.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 3:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roottoot1981
yes you have to stay within a 250 yards of your workplace
Originally Posted by billymacker
No, You will have a ankle tag on and only can go out between 8am and 6pm,

Both of these answers are completely unnecessary. It's not a wonder new members feel picked on if this is the type of answer they can expect when they ask a perfectly reasonable question. Try taking a read of the site rules. Particularly rule 1. BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is "in it together", please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Seachanger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1235
This means, that on 475 you can live and work whenever you want in australia but only living and working in regional australia for certain period of time allows you to apply for permanent residency.
My understanding is that 475 visa holders are not permitted to live and work where they want. The conditions on the visa require the visa holder and secondary applicants to live and work in a specified regional area.

The DIAC website states:

"What does this visa let me do?

This visa:
  • allows you to remain in Australia for up to three (3) years and requires you to live and work in a Specified Regional Area in Australia
  • allows accompanying secondary applicants to work and study, but only in a Specified Regional Area of Australia
  • provides a pathway to permanent residence."

Full details at: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...migration/475/

If someone were to work/live/study in a non-regional area they would be in breach of the visa conditions.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to the OPs question, yes you can travel around. You are not tied to the area you are working in. You can go on holiday anywhere.

No such thing as a stupid question, it's just one you don't know the answer to. As has been proven on this thread alone, there is such a thing as a stupid answer though.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:25 am
Just Joined

1235 has a brilliant future1235 has a brilliant future1235 has a brilliant future1235 has a brilliant future1235 has a brilliant future1235 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Seachanger
My understanding is that 475 visa holders are not permitted to live and work where they want. The conditions on the visa require the visa holder and secondary applicants to live and work in a specified regional area.

The DIAC website states:

"What does this visa let me do?

This visa:
  • allows you to remain in Australia for up to three (3) years and requires you to live and work in a Specified Regional Area in Australia
  • allows accompanying secondary applicants to work and study, but only in a Specified Regional Area of Australia
  • provides a pathway to permanent residence."

Full details at: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...migration/475/

If someone were to work/live/study in a non-regional area they would be in breach of the visa conditions.
Generally I agree with you however it is also written on immi web pages:
"Note: If you need more time to meet the residence and/or employment criteria for a permanent visa, you may be eligible to apply to extend your visa."

If you lived/worked only in regional area for 3 yrs why would you need more time to fulfill requirements for permanent visa? The possible answers are:
- you didn't live/work in regional australia all the time.
- you didn't work in australia at all (for 3 yrs)

I understand, that this visa is designed to populate regional australia: Live in regional australia or leave australia.
In my opinion answer is not clear and some real expert (which I am not) should give the explanation.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

themac is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe/think the key is 'live and work', you can live and work somewhere while still taking a holiday, day trip etc somewhere else.