Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare/student visa question

Medicare/student visa question

Old Apr 4th 2009, 9:52 pm

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicare/student visa question

Hi I was just wondering once you have completed your studies and apply for PR you are on a bridging visa is that right?
Are you and your family entitled to medicare at this time or do you have to get private health insurance while you wait for your decision?
Thankyou to anyone who knows this x
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicare/student visa question

Originally Posted by Nat12
Hi I was just wondering once you have completed your studies and apply for PR you are on a bridging visa is that right?
Are you and your family entitled to medicare at this time or do you have to get private health insurance while you wait for your decision?
Thankyou to anyone who knows this x
I was eligible for Medicare once I went on a bridging visa ...
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

You are entitled to medicare while on a student visa anyway (this is fairly new). I have and have used my medicare card and I'm on a student visa.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:03 am

Thankyou for this information.
I had to go to the doctors yesterday and its costs a fortune
As my husband is the student would I also be entitled to medicare while on the student visa as his spouse and also my son who is three, or would it just be my husband who is entitled to it?
Does that make sense hope so x
Old Apr 5th 2009, 4:37 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for this information.
I had to go to the doctors yesterday and its costs a fortune
As my husband is the student would I also be entitled to medicare while on the student visa as his spouse and also my son who is three, or would it just be my husband who is entitled to it?
Does that make sense hope so x
Go visit Medicare on Monday is your best bet.

I'd guess if the student is intitled to Medicare, so is his or her spouse, but only way to find out for sure is the horses mouth!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you are all entitled to it. It will have all of your names on the card, but does say visitor on it, and it will run out when your visa runs out. We asked for an extra card so hubbie could carry one around too.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

canadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nice

about this medicare on student visa.... I had to pay for private health insurance as a student (OSHC?) as it is a requirement for the student visa.. Is the medicare only partial? And if so, is this only avaialble to Brits? (Some kind of agreement between the 2 countries?) I am from Canada but a non-resident at this time.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:58 am

Thankyou think I will go in on monday with visas etc. x
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

All students still have to buy the health care cover, but I found when I used it that it did not pay back everything I had spent, which if you find a bulk billing Dr your whole appointment is paid with medicare.

If you have a google for medicare there is a bit on the official page about people on student visas. It just says students from certain countries (not sure which off hand) are entitled to medicare to cover for needed medical care (so no boob implants for me).
Old Apr 5th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

canadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nice

No medicare for me...

Australia has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) operating with the following countries: Finland, Italy, Malta, New Zealand, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Sweden, The Netherlands and United Kingdom.

Oh well.. can't have everything in life I guess
Old Apr 5th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Thankyou think I will go in on monday with visas etc. x
Also take the receipt from the doctors bill and you can claim back what you paid at the same time, as long as you haven't already claimed through your OSHC.

cheers
Mandy