Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel before settling in australia?

Travel before settling in australia?

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

sarahandnick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel before settling in australia?

I applied in Jan 04 for skilled independant visa and have just arranged medicals and police checks (unrequested) - I know I'm impatient but I wanted to have everything done for when they are eventually requested.....

I was looking through these forms and noticed that one of the things checked for is tuberculosis. I also read somewhere that this is one of the vacinations required for travel to south east asia.

It was my plan to visit a few places before I got to Australia. Does anyone know if this is likely to be a problem?

Thanks very much

Sarah
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice
Default Re: Travel before settling in australia?

Originally posted by sarahandnick
I applied in Jan 04 for skilled independant visa and have just arranged medicals and police checks (unrequested) - I know I'm impatient but I wanted to have everything done for when they are eventually requested.....

I was looking through these forms and noticed that one of the things checked for is tuberculosis. I also read somewhere that this is one of the vacinations required for travel to south east asia.

It was my plan to visit a few places before I got to Australia. Does anyone know if this is likely to be a problem?

Thanks very much

Sarah
hi Sarah

No its not likely to be a problem. You will all have had a chest Xray which will show you are free from TB (or in exceptional cases that you have had TB and it ss now quiescent). You will probably have had Heaf testing and if vulnerable TB innoculation as a schoolchild.
TB is fairly hard to catch if you are healthy - so short term visits through TB endemic areas are most unlikely to give you TB and these visits are unlikely to be viewed with suspicion by the immigration desk on your arrival. Maybe an email to them would confirm this.
hope this helps

Peter
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 7:28 pm
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You must be pretty sure about your application to go for your meds and get PCCs before requested.
When do you plan on going?

Remember that your meds and PCCs only last for a year! So whichever is the sooner, say you get the meds done tomorrow, if you get your PR later this year, say November, you will have one year from tomorro to make entry that's only 6 months or until 3rd June05. If you have stuff to sort that can be a bit of a rush.
If you don't make entry your visa will become invalid!:lecture:
You can always get the meds done again but that's expensive!

We thought the same as you but decided it was more prudent to wait for 'that' letter, which did come! Thank Goodness!
Our meds are on Friday...EEEK!!:scared:

Good luck!
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 7:34 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by GillettFamily
Our meds are on Friday...EEEK!!:scared:
Good Luck - don't worry - the THOUGHT of them and all that hangs on the meds is worse than the event.

Afterwards =
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 11:07 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We went travelling for 3 1/2 months before arriving in Oz. Best thing we did by the way! We had no problems.

Enjoy your trip

Jo
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

sarahandnick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Paylia
hi Sarah

No its not likely to be a problem. You will all have had a chest Xray which will show you are free from TB (or in exceptional cases that you have had TB and it ss now quiescent). You will probably have had Heaf testing and if vulnerable TB innoculation as a schoolchild.
TB is fairly hard to catch if you are healthy - so short term visits through TB endemic areas are most unlikely to give you TB and these visits are unlikely to be viewed with suspicion by the immigration desk on your arrival. Maybe an email to them would confirm this.
hope this helps

Peter
Thanks everyone, thats put my mind at rest.

I hope to go out at the end of this year, but who knows when the paperwork will be sorted...

A friend got his med request about a month ago and he applied last october, so on that basis I thought I might get mine August time.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:22 am
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sarahandnick
Thanks everyone, thats put my mind at rest.

I hope to go out at the end of this year, but who knows when the paperwork will be sorted...

A friend got his med request about a month ago and he applied last october, so on that basis I thought I might get mine August time.

That sounds about right.
We applied last week of Oct03 and had our letter requesting Meds & PCCs on 23/4..St Georges Day!.. funny enough.
But the soonest we could get the Xrays & Meds at a centre near to us with out travelling was 4/6...tomorro!!

Not really worried about it but yu do don't ya!!!

It will certainly be afterwards!!!

All thats needed then will be trying to get my brother-in-law to pay the bond!!

3 months travelling is too long for us with 2 kids 15&11 when we go but a few weeks sounds good then a bit of a holiday while we sus out where exactly we want to plant ourselves..schools, jobs,houses, and the dog!..poor thing.

see ya!