Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transferring funds -Capital Gains Tax

Transferring funds -Capital Gains Tax

Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

TraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the rough
Default Transferring funds -Capital Gains Tax

Hi Everyone,
Have come across a thread on another site where a person stated that if you transfer funds initially and then later transfer the rest of your cash when the exchange rate has increased you pay CGT on the increase!!!! :scared: :scared:

Please someone tell me this isn't true....

Tracey
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

TraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Transferring funds -Capital Gains Tax

Originally Posted by TraceyandPeter
Hi Everyone,
Have come across a thread on another site where a person stated that if you transfer funds initially and then later transfer the rest of your cash when the exchange rate has increased you pay CGT on the increase!!!! :scared: :scared:

Tracey
Am answering my own question, have found a thread, but anybody know any more?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223052
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:57 pm
off to Byron Bay....

loidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the rough

hi tracey and peter, just read that other thread now i am totally confused, hope someone out there understands it all x loidy
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyandPeter
Hi Everyone,

Tracey
It was me who answered the thread on the other site.

Seems I was wrong on the 6 month 'window'.

Looks like You pay CGT on Forex gains whenever you move your money.

If anyone know different perhaps they will let us know

G
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:40 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

As I understand it there are two elements, interest and capital gain.

You will only be liable to tax on interest earned outside Aus once you are resident in Aus.

You will be liable to any capital gain - through currency appreciation - on currency held not in AUD that appreciates vs the AUD and that you then convert to AUD, once you are Aus resident. Dated from the value at the time you became resident.

In practice, there is no earthly way the Aus tax people will ever know you have made a capital gain on currency transfer unless you tell them.

Which of course you rightfully should.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Don
As I understand it there are two elements, interest and capital gain.

You will only be liable to tax on interest earned outside Aus once you are resident in Aus.

You will be liable to any capital gain - through currency appreciation - on currency held not in AUD that appreciates vs the AUD and that you then convert to AUD, once you are Aus resident. Dated from the value at the time you became resident.

In practice, there is no earthly way the Aus tax people will ever know you have made a capital gain on currency transfer unless you tell them.

Which of course you rightfully should.
Aah, Don...Don, you are the one...Karma coming your way for your very valuable information.
Thanks
Tracey