Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfer money from UK

Transfer money from UK

Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all
Default Transfer money from UK

Hi All

Was wondering if anyone has transfered money form UK to Australia.
If so was it easy and how much does it cost.

Thanks Beth
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Transfer money from UK

Originally Posted by zbettyboop
Hi All

Thanks Beth
We use www.hifx.com, they were great you just phone them up and ask to open a account, they send you paperwork which you can mail or fax back.Once your account is up and =running you phone and ask to speak to a trader who will explain all your different options (spot rate, forward rate etc.....) and how they work, they give you the rate and the total amount you receive there is no charge as they lump loads of peoples money together and this is how they make there money (I think) we kept an eye on the rate at www.xe.com and we reckon you get 2-3 cents less than the rate there and remember don't be afraid to barter for more as this may get you an extra 1/2 - 1 cent more per pound
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:12 am
ABCDiamond

I used HSBC UK to HSBC AU, and negotiated a very good rate with them. Cost £10

But the rate is more important than any charges. eg:
£50,000 at 2.401 = $120,050
£50,000 at 2.400 = $120,000

.001 = $50 difference on that sum. .01 = $500 etc

My saving was in the $'000's region, so I didn't worry about £10

Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:17 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

We did all of ours with the Commonwealth.

Opened a London bank account with them. Put all of our dosh into it, they transfered it.... free of charge and they also matched the rate Hifx were offering!

Went into the Commonwealth in Perth City, got all of our cards etc, drew all of the money out by cheque and bunged it into a bank account with a bank that don't charge silly money every time you so much as fart in the direction of an ATM!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:11 am
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I used HSBC UK to HSBC AU, and negotiated a very good rate with them. Cost £10

But the rate is more important than any charges. eg:
£50,000 at 2.401 = $120,050
£50,000 at 2.400 = $120,000

.001 = $50 difference on that sum. .01 = $500 etc

My saving was in the $'000's region, so I didn't worry about £10

how long had you banked with HSBC in the uk before you made the money transfer.I use another bank here at the minute, but went to see HSBC about an aussie account. They were really helpfull, so I might try the same route as you.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by stutess
how long had you banked with HSBC in the uk before you made the money transfer.I use another bank here at the minute, but went to see HSBC about an aussie account. They were really helpfull, so I might try the same route as you.
About 5-6 years I think.

Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Originally Posted by zbettyboop
Hi All

Thanks Beth
You can transfer your sterling to any bank in Aus. Just need to go into your bank over here and ask for that bank's swift code and GBP settlement instructions. Most will accept GBP and often offer a better rate in Aus than in UK even HIFX. I work in International banking here in Brisbane and a customer of ours just made an extra $8000 on £100K transfer using bank here to convert rather than HSBC in UK. She was emmigrating - made me a bit nostalgic. Always worth doing your homework and comparing rates on offer over the course of a week. As Diamond says it is the rate that you need to worry about not the fees.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

Key thing is to get comparitive quotes at the same time from different places.

I used hifx after getting 3 quotes from other banks.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:16 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We use Custom House in the UK to do all our money transfers and they are very good and very competitive.

Lorraine