visa's

Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Question visa's

Hi,
We're considering moving to Australia and are a bit confused(already!!!) about the visa system.We won't be going until my husband has a firm job offer so,when he does,will this mean that the company will then sponsor him to enable him to get a visa or are we more or less on our own with visa's??
The companies he'll be looking for employment with are big ones like BP so do they tend to give you help??
Any info/advice would be appreciated!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa's

What job does your husband do?

Originally Posted by bushy
Hi,
We're considering moving to Australia and are a bit confused(already!!!) about the visa system.We won't be going until my husband has a firm job offer so,when he does,will this mean that the company will then sponsor him to enable him to get a visa or are we more or less on our own with visa's??
The companies he'll be looking for employment with are big ones like BP so do they tend to give you help??
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
It depends on the company really I think - and also the type of work you do.

My DH is an electrical engineer and apparently there is a serious lack of them in Oz. So, we got in on a 457 visa - 4yr work sponsored employee visa.

His company paid for the visas, for return flights, for the first 4 weeks of accommodation and they will be reimbursing us for the medical fees once DH gets his backside into gear Ooh, and they're also paying the relocation fees, ie, shipping all our stuff out (I almost forget to say that, which is crazy as I'm sat here in the UK at the moment and Pickfords come tomorrow to start the packing up lol)

Also, if an Aussie company is sponsoring you, you may find your visas come through quicker than normal. DH was offered the job at the start of December. We had our medicals/xrays mid-January. The visa was approved 2 Feb and we flew out on 12 Feb.

So less than 3 months start to finish
Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
It depends on the company really I think - and also the type of work you do.

My DH is an electrical engineer and apparently there is a serious lack of them in Oz. So, we got in on a 457 visa - 4yr work sponsored employee visa.

The thing you have to bear in mind is that you can't really "get in" to Australia on a 457 visa. When your job is finished, DIMA will expect you to go home unless you have obtained permanent residence in the meantime:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357804
Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
The thing you have to bear in mind is that you can't really "get in" to Australia on a 457 visa. When your job is finished, DIMA will expect you to go home unless you have obtained permanent residence in the meantime:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357804
That's what I counting on

We know that should DH quit the job, then we have 1 month to get out of Oz. If the company fires DH, then we have 2 months.

I guess when it gets near the end of the 4yrs & we are still there, we will go for permanent residency or whatever it's called... we'll see...
Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Luma
What job does your husband do?
At the moment he is a shift manager of a process plant with Shell and is looking to do the same work in australia.
He would really like to re-locate with Shell but the situation where he works is such that his manager will not let him apply for any other jobs!!This is another reason why he wants to leave as he doesn't want to stay in this job forever.

Last edited by bushy; Mar 21st 2006 at 7:36 am.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:49 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

This link might help ...
Shell Geelong

Best regards.

At the moment he is a shift manager of a process plant with Shell and is looking to do the same work in australia.
He would really like to re-locate with Shell but the situation where he works is such that his manager will not let him apply for any other jobs!!This is another reason why he wants to leave as he doesn't want to stay in this job forever.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 2:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I guess when it gets near the end of the 4yrs & we are still there, we will go for permanent residency or whatever it's called... we'll see...

Why not get a permanent visa at the outset?

Employers can sponsor for permanent visas in many situations (problem is that many employers refuse to sponsor) and there are also points tested or state sponsored visa options that might work for you.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 3:33 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I counting on

We know that should DH quit the job, then we have 1 month to get out of Oz. If the company fires DH, then we have 2 months.

wouldn't you be better to apply for PR before the 4 years is up as it still takes quite a long time to get, also it means if he does get sick of the job he can look for another with no hassles.

Lynn
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why not get a permanent visa at the outset?
Because the employer chose the 457 one. We had no say in the matter.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by movetoperth
wouldn't you be better to apply for PR before the 4 years is up as it still takes quite a long time to get, also it means if he does get sick of the job he can look for another with no hassles.

Lynn
To be honest, if we're still there after 18mth/2yrs, we'll look into PR. I just need to get through the first 6-12mths though before I can consider it

Also, I think you need a full medical for the PR - we only had to have chest x-rays for the 457 - and I'm hideously overweight at the moment (lost 1st 9lb in the 4 weeks in Oz, though, as I was so stressed and ill - bonus!)
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Cool Re: visa's

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
This link might help ...
Shell Geelong

Best regards.
Thanks for the link.My husband has been to Geelong with Shell and has a contact there.The trouble is if his manager won't release him from his current role he can't apply for an overseas posting and his manager is not prepared to do this.We would love to live in Victoria as he said it was great when he was there,and he was very impressed with Melbourne.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:34 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link.My husband has been to Geelong with Shell and has a contact there.The trouble is if his manager won't release him from his current role he can't apply for an overseas posting and his manager is not prepared to do this.We would love to live in Victoria as he said it was great when he was there,and he was very impressed with Melbourne.
Cant your husband go over his managers head, he sounds like a nasty little man who needs to be stamped on.

Lynn
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Cant your husband go over his managers head, he sounds like a nasty little man who needs to be stamped on.

Lynn
Ha Ha !!!I think he'd love to stamp on him!!!and so would I.When he gets another job and leaves he'll be sorely tempted! Unfortunately the idea of not releasing people goes right to the top of Shell Stanlow.my husband has several fairly senoir people in other parts of the Shell group in other countries but even they probably won't have much luck in changing things.It.s such a shame cos he's a good guy and a hard worker(I know I would say that!),all he wants is a job with a challenge that he enjoys.He can't stand the tought of being in this same position for another 20 years.Sorry,going on a bit now!! anyway,thanks,you made me laugh!!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:34 am
JAJ
Retired

Because the employer chose the 457 one. We had no say in the matter.

Did you not negotiate? You got to think of your own interests, not just the employer's.

And are there any options to get a permanent visa without employer sponsorship?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.