Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tracing family in oz

Tracing family in oz

Old May 21st 2006, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Tracing family in oz

Could any one advise of the best way to find family members who emigrated to Australia in the 1950's?
My father is doing his family tree and has discovered that his uncle emigrated to Australia (the family disowned him) so have no details of which state or indeed which ship he sailed on. (He was not a convict)LOL
All he has is the blokes name and that he heard he died, possibly 10 years ago.
Any advice would be grate fully recieved as my father wants to fill in a lot of blanks in the tree.

Mandy

Last edited by geordie mandy; May 21st 2006 at 12:48 pm.
Old May 21st 2006, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

xshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tracing family in oz

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Could any one advise of the best way to find family members who emigrated to Australia in the 1950's?
My father is doing his family tree and has discovered that his uncle emigrated to Australia (the family disowned him) so have no details of which state or indeed which ship he sailed on. (He was not a convict)LOL
All he has is the blokes name and that he heard he died, possibly 10 years ago.
Any advice would be grate fully recieved as my father wants to fill in a lot of blanks in the tree.

Mandy
Have you tried doing a search on National Archives?

http://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/recordsearch.html

I found it quite helpful

Shirley
Old May 21st 2006, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xshirleyx
Have you tried doing a search on National Archives?

http://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/recordsearch.html

I found it quite helpful

Shirley

Thank you for that i shall pass the site on to my dad.
Im pretty sure he has not tried the national archives as most of hissearch was with the Uk.
K on its way as i was sure no one would be able to help.
Mandy
Old May 21st 2006, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

xshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Thank you for that i shall pass the site on to my dad.
Im pretty sure he has not tried the national archives as most of hissearch was with the Uk.
K on its way as i was sure no one would be able to help.
Mandy
Your welcome. My husband had to prove he had at least nine years residency for our class of visa - and voila! typed his name in and got the date and plane he arrived on! Hope it helps your dad!

Shirley