Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Townhouse vs House

Townhouse vs House

Old Dec 18th 2007, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Jessy69 is on a distinguished road
Default Townhouse vs House

Is it just a matter of two floors vs one?
Old Dec 18th 2007, 3:05 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Townhouse vs House

Originally Posted by Jessy69
No
Old Dec 18th 2007, 3:25 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
No

Quite right. The phrase Townhouse is usually used to describe a house that is held on a strata title - i.e. one that has all the nonsense of the body corporate or owners committee that goes along with it.

S
Old Dec 18th 2007, 4:36 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite often they are attached and have tiny backyards, if any at all.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 4:40 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

As Swervo said they will have strata fees associated with them which can vary from maybe $250 a quarter to well over $1000 so definitely something to think about and ask about straight away when buying. The good thing about strata fees (I guess) is that they will include buildings insurance in the cost and if anything needs repairing etc to the outside of the house it will normally come out of the owners pocket and not yours.

We looked at quite a few and came across a couple of nice ones with low strata fees (this is in Sydney) but at the end of the day we decided that we prefer the older style houses anyway - Australians seem to love the brand new stuff with no character...

And yes they generally will have 2 floors and almost always be part of a block - whether that be a 'duplex' (semi) or a terrace.

Graham
Old Dec 18th 2007, 4:41 am

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
No
By the way, love the comprehensive reply woodcutter!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:40 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
As Swervo said they will have strata fees associated with them which can vary from maybe $250 a quarter to well over $1000 so definitely something to think about and ask about straight away when buying. The good thing about strata fees (I guess) is that they will include buildings insurance in the cost and if anything needs repairing etc to the outside of the house it will normally come out of the owners pocket and not yours.

We looked at quite a few and came across a couple of nice ones with low strata fees (this is in Sydney) but at the end of the day we decided that we prefer the older style houses anyway - Australians seem to love the brand new stuff with no character...

And yes they generally will have 2 floors and almost always be part of a block - whether that be a 'duplex' (semi) or a terrace.

Graham

there are also Villas, which are strata titled, but detached and standing alone on the strata plot. These offer a bit more flexibility in terms of ownership, as they don't have any shared walls, so you have more power over what you can do to the internals of the walls apparently.

S
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Or a matter of price?!

Debbie
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:53 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

We're renting a three storey town house, the body corp fees are included in the rent and all we pay for is a few bucks for grass cutting and it's ideal - everything gets taken care of, the development is kept very clean and tidy and it's quite quiet.

Not sure I'd want to buy one to live in though, I think the body corp thing would get to me after a while - rules and regs .
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:00 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

A highset is a 2 floor house and a lowset is a single floor house fyi.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 11:21 pm
Dan&Bex

danbex85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Townhouse- hmmmmmmmm not the best due to body corp that you need to pay. I am a real estate agent and townhouses are good for those who cant afford to buy a house as they are often a bit cheaper than a house. You will also often also get facilities within the communal grounds such as bbq's and maybe a pool if your lucky.
If you can afford to buy a house then buy a house as you wont have to pay the body corp. The body corporate is basically the management of the communal areas, buildings insurance and they sort problems out when they go wrong (not inside your house though) etc etc.

Someone said that they are renting a townhouse and that its great. True! if you rent a townhouse all that you pay is your rent as in australia the owner has to pay all other costs such as body corp and rates, but if you buy you pay the lot!

Dan

P.S- You also have to pay body corp if you buy a unit
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Jessy69 is on a distinguished road

whats a unit?
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:14 am
has lost The Game

whats a unit?
An apartment or flat. Christ knows why they call them units.

S
Old Dec 19th 2007, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
An apartment or flat. Christ knows why they call them units.

S
I thought a unit was someone who was heavy set - you know, 'big boned'
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:15 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by northerner
I thought a unit was someone who was heavy set - you know, 'big boned'

When I was at school 'The Unit' was where the 'special' kids went. Whenever I hear people talking about buying a unit or inspecting a unit, I always imagine the place to be full of 'special' kids.

Strange how early life experiences linger on into adulthood...

S