Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Top priorities in Perth!

Top priorities in Perth!

Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top priorities in Perth!

Originally Posted by dave99
3 years in perth and i have never experienced that, in fact out of all the places i have lived around perth i think i spoke to the neighbours for about 5minutes once, the houses are so big you never hear or see them
You definately need a big house here because after you've done all the usual, beach, picnics in the parks, BBQ's etc, there isn't much else to do so you spend more time at home than you would in UK. Travel is expensive and out of the question. Going out to restaurants/bars is expensive and pretty much everything else. The shops in all the Perth suburbs are samey and dull, The City is better, but again, very expensive.

Perth is an ace place for young kids but for adults who are used to a more stimulating environment, it lacks. Depends what you are used to and what you want out of life.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:23 am
dys
Just Joined

dys is an unknown quantity at this point

This is slightly worrying, I'm moving to Perth in a couple of months. Is it that bad there? I'm definitely someone that's used to the buzz of a big city. Do you think I'll find it that boring there?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dys
This is slightly worrying, I'm moving to Perth in a couple of months. Is it that bad there? I'm definitely someone that's used to the buzz of a big city. Do you think I'll find it that boring there?
I've been in Perth for nearly 2 years now after living in London all my life, and desperately miss that 'buzz'. Don't get me wrong, Perth has plenty of positives. But its 'close up early' attitude and isolation are big minuses for me. Really miss having Europe and it's cultures on the doorstep.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:35 am
dys
Just Joined

Not too bothered about having Europe on my doorstep. Am not someone that flies off to Europe for a weekend. It's more the buzz of a big city that I'm worried I may miss - you know just walking around and being surrounded by people.........(nerves starting to set in)
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dys
you know just walking around and being surrounded by people.........(nerves starting to set in)
You could go to the Lakeside shopping centre in Joondalup, you'll be surrounded by fat poms in Newcastle United shirts, fat bogan Aussie families, little boys with ratstails and aborigines.

Is that the sort of buzz you were after?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I've been in Perth for nearly 2 years now after living in London all my life, and desperately miss that 'buzz'. Don't get me wrong, Perth has plenty of positives. But its 'close up early' attitude and isolation are big minuses for me. Really miss having Europe and it's cultures on the doorstep.
I agree 100%.

I could actually put up with the isolation and attitudes here in Perth but seeing you have to pay top dollar for living here now, it's becoming less and less attractive.

It's like living on a beautiful deserted island, great at first, then reality and boredom sets in.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:56 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
I agree 100%.

I could actually put up with the isolation and attitudes here in Perth but seeing you have to pay top dollar for living here now, it's becoming less and less attractive.

It's like living on a beautiful deserted island, great at first, then reality and boredom sets in.
I love it here, but if I were coming now and not 7 years ago like I did, I'd be heading over east. Perth is too expensive for what it is.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth
I love it here, but if I were coming now and not 7 years ago like I did, I'd be heading over east. Perth is too expensive for what it is.
True, many families coming over here now 'for a better life' are finding themselves working longer hours, having less disposable income than they had in UK from what I'm seeing and hearing. Lucky we came when we did, no way would we'd be able to afford to get in now.

I love it here for my young kids sake and having family over here but if I didn't I'd be off to Melbourne or Sydney in a flash.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

You definately need a big house here because after you've done all the usual, beach, picnics in the parks, BBQ's etc, there isn't much else to do so you spend more time at home than you would in UK. Travel is expensive and out of the question. Going out to restaurants/bars is expensive and pretty much everything else. The shops in all the Perth suburbs are samey and dull, The City is better, but again, very expensive.

Perth is an ace place for young kids but for adults who are used to a more stimulating environment, it lacks. Depends what you are used to and what you want out of life.
How true. Can not recall ever having lived in a place where so many folk spend so much time at home or go to bed so early.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dys
Afraid so..big time. There is no vibe to speak of in Perth....a very straight and conservative town that rather difficult to connect with it's inhabitants.
Sydney or Melbourne would perhaps be more to your taste. Also as others have alsc commented Perth is way too expensive,especially for what is on offer. I came here in 97 and it annoys me no end the rip off that this place has become.
Supposed to be a boom but where is the social dividend? So little on offer in the way of things to do,so constained in social relationships. Social isolation is a factor here which to my mind at least contributes to any number of mental health issues.
Would never in todays conditions ever contemplate moving to Perth personly, but we're all different. Best of luck and anyhow you will see Perth through fresh eyes.....
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dys
Not too bothered about having Europe on my doorstep. Am not someone that flies off to Europe for a weekend. It's more the buzz of a big city that I'm worried I may miss - you know just walking around and being surrounded by people.........(nerves starting to set in)
Walking..??? Not a lot of that here i am afraid. Leg it myself and more often than not am the only soul on the streets...see lots of tv screens flickering though.....
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

True, many families coming over here now 'for a better life' are finding themselves working longer hours, having less disposable income than they had in UK from what I'm seeing and hearing. Lucky we came when we did, no way would we'd be able to afford to get in now.

I love it here for my young kids sake and having family over here but if I didn't I'd be off to Melbourne or Sydney in a flash.
Would suggest that these days folk may wish to consider exactly what they wish to obtain by a better life.
In many cases life in a lot of the UK is far in advance of Australia...not all but many.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:24 am
dys
Just Joined

better than the UK? Have you been back recently? It's terrible here these days!!! Care to elaborate why you think that?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dys
better than the UK? Have you been back recently? It's terrible here these days!!! Care to elaborate why you think that?
Perhaps a matter of opinion just how terrible it is. As for Australia without getting into a elaborate discussion about what may or may not be good or bad about it ,how about we focus on a rather poor value for money in general for so many essentials here.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:22 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dys
People who come from big cities will never adjust in Perth you're kidding yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.