Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tools to Australia

Tools to Australia

Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tools to Australia

Looking for advice from tradesmen who've made the move to Oz. We will be heading to Brisbane in June / July 08 and planned to ship our container on ahead of our arrival so that hopefully it will be there or thereabouts by the time we arrive (I know, the best laid plans and all that).

The problem that I have is that being a self employed Carpenter / Builder I will still need to work up until we're ready to leave and therefore will require tools etc. On arrival in Australia I will also need tools!

I was thinking of sending most of my tools and equipment on in advance with the shippers and keeping a selection of tools to carry on working. I have about at least 2 of everything.

Do I air freight the one's that I keep in the UK when making permanent move to Oz? Is it expensive to do this?

Do I just sell the one's that I keep back in the UK and hope that my container will be waiting for me in Oz? Or is it best just to buy new in Oz rather than working around a shipping timetable?

Your advice is welcomed.

Thanks Lone Ranger
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:19 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tools to Australia

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Looking for advice from tradesmen who've made the move to Oz. We will be heading to Brisbane in June / July 08 and planned to ship our container on ahead of our arrival so that hopefully it will be there or thereabouts by the time we arrive (I know, the best laid plans and all that).

The problem that I have is that being a self employed Carpenter / Builder I will still need to work up until we're ready to leave and therefore will require tools etc. On arrival in Australia I will also need tools!

I was thinking of sending most of my tools and equipment on in advance with the shippers and keeping a selection of tools to carry on working. I have about at least 2 of everything.

Do I air freight the one's that I keep in the UK when making permanent move to Oz? Is it expensive to do this?

Do I just sell the one's that I keep back in the UK and hope that my container will be waiting for me in Oz? Or is it best just to buy new in Oz rather than working around a shipping timetable?

Your advice is welcomed.

Thanks Lone Ranger
theres quite a few 'Tools" in Oz..just look at the election campaign hehe
Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

if the weight of the tools are below 25 kg use excess baggage who will fly boxes out for approx £160 per 25kg, and will arrive 2-4 days later
Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Your advice is welcomed.

Thanks Lone Ranger
Be careful who you ship your tools with. Alot of ours went missing, Snap-on tools which cost a fortune.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Be careful who you ship your tools with. Alot of ours went missing, Snap-on tools which cost a fortune.
OMG Really My OH wants to send over all his snap on tools!
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute

Your advice is welcomed.

Thanks Lone Ranger
OH is a plumber - shipped some of his more technical expensive equipment and sold or gave away the rest of his.
Seriously regrets this as the quality tools he had are had to come by here - would consider boxing up spare set of tools ahead as you planned.
Same with household stuff - if theres room for it, and its good stuff, ship it. We wish we had packed a couple more boxes.
Paula
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mumfords
if the weight of the tools are below 25 kg use excess baggage who will fly boxes out for approx £160 per 25kg, and will arrive 2-4 days later
Thanks for the info, I will look into it and to whether it will be worth it?

I may be cheaper just selling off the tools that I keep back from the shippers.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Downies
OH is a plumber - shipped some of his more technical expensive equipment and sold or gave away the rest of his.
Seriously regrets this as the quality tools he had are had to come by here - would consider boxing up spare set of tools ahead as you planned.
Same with household stuff - if theres room for it, and its good stuff, ship it. We wish we had packed a couple more boxes.
Paula
Thanks Paula.

We kinda thought that and most of the stuff we have (houshold items) will be shipped.

Lone Ranger
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Sorry to hear that! Who did you send your stuff with and did insurance cover your loss?