Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It took 3 months but ........

It took 3 months but ........

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation It took 3 months but ........

Saw my first snake today!

Just got home and as I walked up the 3 stairs to the porch I heard a rustling.... then I see this glossy black snake, about a metre long, slithering over to the backyard! He must have been sunning by the pool. I think it was a red-bellied black snake, even though I didnt get to see the underside.....

Called Bert - told him the news.... emailed the agents we rent through. I doubt they will do anything but obviously we have to be a lot more careful in the garden mowing etc..... bit scary!

I shouldn't have looked them up - the bad news is they give birth to up to 40 live young between Jan and March - good news is they eat cane toads but in doing so they get poisoned themselves and usually die.... two birds with one stone?

Must tell the neighbours as they have 3 teenagers who love playing cricket in the backyard...

It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Am more nervous of going near the pool or garden without knee high boots on now though!

Anyone know if they are territorial?

S.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:49 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It took 3 months but ........

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
Saw my first snake today!

Just got home and as I walked up the 3 stairs to the porch I heard a rustling.... then I see this glossy black snake, about a metre long, slithering over to the backyard! He must have been sunning by the pool. I think it was a red-bellied black snake, even though I didnt get to see the underside.....

Called Bert - told him the news.... emailed the agents we rent through. I doubt they will do anything but obviously we have to be a lot more careful in the garden mowing etc..... bit scary!

I shouldn't have looked them up - the bad news is they give birth to up to 40 live young between Jan and March - good news is they eat cane toads but in doing so they get poisoned themselves and usually die.... two birds with one stone?

Must tell the neighbours as they have 3 teenagers who love playing cricket in the backyard...

It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Am more nervous of going near the pool or garden without knee high boots on now though!

Anyone know if they are territorial?

S.
Oh dear, I hope Denise doesn't read this!

You're not in WA are you?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Oh dear, I hope Denise doesn't read this!

You're not in WA are you?
YES I HAVE READ IT :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:16 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
YES I HAVE READ IT :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Oh no sorry Denise, I was hoping you'd miss it
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Oh no sorry Denise, I was hoping you'd miss it
i CAREFULLY SCROLLED DOWN AS I READ IT JUST IN CASE THERE WAS A PICTURE. :scared:
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

No, no pictures - not quick enough with the camera. And we're in Qld, so pretty far from WA! - as I understand these snakes are only on the eastern side of Oz?

Apparently they are the snake to have if you must have a snake (so to speak) as they will scare off browns and tiger snakes and are not agressive - choose to run away unless you corner them (which we don't plan to do!). Neighbours have chickens and guinea pigs, so if it wants to stay there is not a lot we can do. But there are so many toads around I think the odds are it'll eat one soon

I know snakes seem scary but it wasn't so bad really. I think more people die of bee stings? I don't like bees - they can gang up on you