British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   It took 3 months but ........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/took-3-months-but-358786/)

Bert'n'Stella Mar 3rd 2006 4:54 am

It took 3 months but ........

Saw my first snake today!

Just got home and as I walked up the 3 stairs to the porch I heard a rustling.... then I see this glossy black snake, about a metre long, slithering over to the backyard! He must have been sunning by the pool. I think it was a red-bellied black snake, even though I didnt get to see the underside.....

Called Bert - told him the news.... emailed the agents we rent through. I doubt they will do anything but obviously we have to be a lot more careful in the garden mowing etc..... bit scary!

I shouldn't have looked them up - the bad news is they give birth to up to 40 live young between Jan and March - good news is they eat cane toads but in doing so they get poisoned themselves and usually die.... two birds with one stone? :D

Must tell the neighbours as they have 3 teenagers who love playing cricket in the backyard...

It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Am more nervous of going near the pool or garden without knee high boots on now though! :eek:

Anyone know if they are territorial?

S.

Clippy Mar 3rd 2006 6:49 am

Re: It took 3 months but ........

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
Saw my first snake today!

Just got home and as I walked up the 3 stairs to the porch I heard a rustling.... then I see this glossy black snake, about a metre long, slithering over to the backyard! He must have been sunning by the pool. I think it was a red-bellied black snake, even though I didnt get to see the underside.....

Called Bert - told him the news.... emailed the agents we rent through. I doubt they will do anything but obviously we have to be a lot more careful in the garden mowing etc..... bit scary!

I shouldn't have looked them up - the bad news is they give birth to up to 40 live young between Jan and March - good news is they eat cane toads but in doing so they get poisoned themselves and usually die.... two birds with one stone? :D

Must tell the neighbours as they have 3 teenagers who love playing cricket in the backyard...

It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Am more nervous of going near the pool or garden without knee high boots on now though! :eek:

Anyone know if they are territorial?

S.

Oh dear, I hope Denise doesn't read this!

You're not in WA are you?

cranni Mar 3rd 2006 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Clippies
Oh dear, I hope Denise doesn't read this!

You're not in WA are you?

YES I HAVE READ IT :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Clippy Mar 3rd 2006 7:16 am

Originally Posted by cranni
YES I HAVE READ IT :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Oh no sorry Denise, I was hoping you'd miss it

cranni Mar 3rd 2006 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Clippies
Oh no sorry Denise, I was hoping you'd miss it

i CAREFULLY SCROLLED DOWN AS I READ IT JUST IN CASE THERE WAS A PICTURE. :scared:

Bert'n'Stella Mar 3rd 2006 7:51 am

No, no pictures - not quick enough with the camera. And we're in Qld, so pretty far from WA! - as I understand these snakes are only on the eastern side of Oz?

Apparently they are the snake to have if you must have a snake (so to speak) as they will scare off browns and tiger snakes and are not agressive - choose to run away unless you corner them (which we don't plan to do!). Neighbours have chickens and guinea pigs, so if it wants to stay there is not a lot we can do. But there are so many toads around I think the odds are it'll eat one soon ;)

I know snakes seem scary but it wasn't so bad really. I think more people die of bee stings? I don't like bees - they can gang up on you :p