Too old at 39?

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Brummie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Too old at 39?

Am I really too old to be considered to start a new life for myself and my family in Oz?

With all this interest in the new SIR visa I have just reassessed my points score and come out with a lowly 95!! Here's how it breaks down:

Occupation - Graphic Designer - 50 points
Age - 39 - 20 points
English speaking - 20 points
Work experience - 5 points

... and yet I have nearly 20 years continuous experience in the Graphic/Advertising business and see myself potentially starting my own business in the next 5 years. My wife is a police officer, so no points there then!!

You'd think that we would be a 'catch' to these areas of Oz that are desperate for people, but it appears that unless you're under 30 then they don't want to know.

Not wishing to invest in the Oz Bond, have I missed a load of extra points somewhere or is the dream now finally buried? Any advice or words of comfort would be appreciated!!

Cheers
Paul
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:14 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

why only 5 points for "nearly 20 years continuous experience in the Graphic/Advertising business" ? I'm not an expert but surely there's something wrong there ?
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Too old at 39?

[i]
......You'd think that we would be a 'catch' to these areas of Oz that are desperate for people, but it appears that unless you're under 30 then they don't want to know.

Cheers
Paul
Yeah we all think we would be a catch and someone would appreciate our skills/experience, but alas no.

You mentioned you reassessed yourself after the hullabalou about the SIR, what score did you get before then?

Try different online assessments, some ask more questions about experience than others, maybe this will help you find those extra 'hidden' points

I was given some advice as my score was low too, basically they said if you are determined then get your skills assessed by VETASSESS or some other skills assessment department, if you pass their criteria, go into the pool BUT actively seek work from here and contact companies that have vacancies to see if they would be interested in your skills.

I am re-thinking my approach as I have another skill on the SOL list which should give me more points but I need clarification on whether my work experience is still valid as I havent done it on a daily basis for the last 3 years

Chin up tho, I saw a motto on one migration agents site (cant remember which company as I have looked at so many) which says 'There are no shortcuts to something that is worth having'
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
why only 5 points for "nearly 20 years continuous experience in the Graphic/Advertising business" ? I'm not an expert but surely there's something wrong there ?
This is from the points assessment on the Oz Government Immigration site

Work Experience 5 points for
'If your nominated occupation is worth 40, 50 or 60 points under Skill, and you have worked in any occupation on the Skilled Occupations List for at least 3 or the 4_years immediately before you apply'

seems that youth(!) is worth more than experience!
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:56 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
can only get 10 points for experience if the skills are worth 60 points.

btw the bond only requires the money to be invested for 1 yr and you get it back plus interest. If you have a house to sell surely to could raise the $100k?

The fact that you skills attract 50 and not 60 points would reflect that your skills are not in high demand as others. That is not meant to be a personal insult as you say you have lengthy experienced in your area. The truth is that oz can be fussy on who they want and for some that can be bad news, however I hope you find a way.

Maybe involving an agent maybe a good idea before you lose more points once you reach the young age of 40. I think the main crux will be seeing if it is at all possible to classify your skills as 60 points.

good luck
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:58 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Brummie
Am I really too old to be considered to start a new life for myself and my family in Oz?

With all this interest in the new SIR visa I have just reassessed my points score and come out with a lowly 95!! Here's how it breaks down:

Occupation - Graphic Designer - 50 points
Age - 39 - 20 points
English speaking - 20 points
Work experience - 5 points

... and yet I have nearly 20 years continuous experience in the Graphic/Advertising business and see myself potentially starting my own business in the next 5 years. My wife is a police officer, so no points there then!!

You'd think that we would be a 'catch' to these areas of Oz that are desperate for people, but it appears that unless you're under 30 then they don't want to know.

Not wishing to invest in the Oz Bond, have I missed a load of extra points somewhere or is the dream now finally buried? Any advice or words of comfort would be appreciated!!

Cheers
Paul
Have you checked out the options for state sponsorship - aka STNI (for VIC, TAS and SA, I think)?

You have to be under 45, have an occupation on that state's list of 'wanted skills' and meet the pool mark (about 70, ISTR).

Worth a look, anyway......

Good luck!

Anya.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by trainee_pilot
Yeah we all think we would be a catch and someone would appreciate our skills/experience, but alas no.

You mentioned you reassessed yourself after the hullabalou about the SIR, what score did you get before then?

Try different online assessments, some ask more questions about experience than others, maybe this will help you find those extra 'hidden' points

I was given some advice as my score was low too, basically they said if you are determined then get your skills assessed by VETASSESS or some other skills assessment department, if you pass their criteria, go into the pool BUT actively seek work from here and contact companies that have vacancies to see if they would be interested in your skills.

I am re-thinking my approach as I have another skill on the SOL list which should give me more points but I need clarification on whether my work experience is still valid as I havent done it on a daily basis for the last 3 years

Chin up tho, I saw a motto on one migration agents site (cant remember which company as I have looked at so many) which says 'There are no shortcuts to something that is worth having'
I have always had the 95 points, just got excited when I heard about the new visa opportunity and thought it would actually benefit people like us.

I have contacted companies and recruitment agencies, but it's always the same response - 'come and see us when you get here...'

It all becomes very demoralising and I can't see a way out of here...
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough

I have always had the 95 points, just got excited when I heard about the new visa opportunity and thought it would actually benefit people like us.

I have contacted companies and recruitment agencies, but it's always the same response - 'come and see us when you get here...'

It all becomes very demoralising and I can't see a way out of here...
You are where I was about 3 months ago mate, I dont want to sound like a 'know-it-all' but I do understand how you feel, just keep trying every avenue that presents itself to you. It all depends on how much you want it in the end.

Get your skills recognised by TRA/VETASSESS or which ever body is responsible for your skills (about A$300), once you have that then go into the pool, if it's not in the pool then nobody is going to contact you as they don't even know you exist.

If you don't do it, you will regret it later I'm sure.

The people on here are great and quite a few have been in our position. I got loads of support and suggestions on what to do next, keep going and keep the faith

TP
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by anya4oz
Have you checked out the options for state sponsorship - aka STNI (for VIC, TAS and SA, I think)?

You have to be under 45, have an occupation on that state's list of 'wanted skills' and meet the pool mark (about 70, ISTR).

Worth a look, anyway......

Good luck!

Anya.

Hi Anya
Yep looked into STNI before but my occupation is not listed on the Employment Opportunities for STNI...
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:52 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Paul
Paul
I "was" in the same boat as you! Not enough points esp. as I am over 40 and my job (sales and marekting mngr) not exactly in demand!
The only advice I can give you is to do what I did and network like hell and find an ozzie co. to sponsor you in. Took me a couple of years and my new "employer" is more like a close friend now. I will be getting there within a few months, I hope.
I never knew of this forum at that time but maybe ask around and see if anyone can introduce you. Failing that, take a holiday there and go to whatever expo's, trade shows, etc., you may find ozzie colleagues.
Warning - this approach tends to involve drinking lots of ozzie beer!
Worked for me!

Andrew