Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it too far for the OH to travel by car...

Is it too far for the OH to travel by car...

Old Jun 20th 2006, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it too far for the OH to travel by car...

Is it too far for the OH to travel from N.Melbourne to Ford in Geelong, cause he's working there for a week, and I was wondering as it is for only a week we might stay in Melbourne so I get to do the sightseeing with children while he's at work, I know it might be easier if we stayed somewhere closer to Geelong, but if its anything like Dagenham, or Detroit in USA, or Cologne in Germany, where there is nothing else to look at except for ford buildings.
any advice will be appreciated.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it too far for the OH to travel by car...

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Is it too far for the OH to travel from N.Melbourne to Ford in Geelong, cause he's working there for a week, and I was wondering as it is for only a week we might stay in Melbourne so I get to do the sightseeing with children while he's at work, I know it might be easier if we stayed somewhere closer to Geelong, but if its anything like Dagenham, or Detroit in USA, or Cologne in Germany, where there is nothing else to look at except for ford buildings.
any advice will be appreciated.
Don't know anything about Melbourne but done a google on driving distances and got approx. 53 mins (73 kilometers)

Ann
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BertieB
Don't know anything about Melbourne but done a google on driving distances and got approx. 53 mins (73 kilometers)

Ann
thanks for the reply Ann, I have also checked the distance, but I need to know is it difficult to get through N,Melbourne for him or would it take couple hours to get to Geelong.
Or should we just stay in Geelong and me kids just get bored for a week.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the reply Ann, I have also checked the distance, but I need to know is it difficult to get through N,Melbourne for him or would it take couple hours to get to Geelong.
Or should we just stay in Geelong and me kids just get bored for a week.
It depends exactly where in North Melbourne you are talking about. I drove Geelong to St Kilda every day to get to work for a month before we moved to Melbourne. And my partner did Geelong to Coburg for 3 months. It's definitely do-able, however it's a matter of being on the road for over 2 hours every day! We were both able to do our respective commutes in an hour. But we made sure we avoided the peak hours. Your husband would be travelling in the opposite direction to the traffic. So I wouldn't imagine it to be too bad at all. Also, Ford is on the Melbourne side of Geelong - so no need for him to get through the busy parts of town.

As for keeping the kids busy.....hopefully someone else will be able to help you out! I'm not sure about winter time. Summer would be an easy answer!!!
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nmccallum
It depends exactly where in North Melbourne you are talking about. I drove Geelong to St Kilda every day to get to work for a month before we moved to Melbourne. And my partner did Geelong to Coburg for 3 months. It's definitely do-able, however it's a matter of being on the road for over 2 hours every day! We were both able to do our respective commutes in an hour. But we made sure we avoided the peak hours. Your husband would be travelling in the opposite direction to the traffic. So I wouldn't imagine it to be too bad at all. Also, Ford is on the Melbourne side of Geelong - so no need for him to get through the busy parts of town.

As for keeping the kids busy.....hopefully someone else will be able to help you out! I'm not sure about winter time. Summer would be an easy answer!!!
it would be from coburg, now today I get another email, that there is 2 bed apartment going in Seddon, in victoria street, do you know much about this area at all, and journey wise which one is better to take. now I am very very confused.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

it would be from coburg, now today I get another email, that there is 2 bed apartment going in Seddon, in victoria street, do you know much about this area at all, and journey wise which one is better to take. now I am very very confused.
I don't know much about the different areas of melbourne, however I've just had a look at where Seddon is - and I wouldn't want to live there - but that's me. It's just on the side of melbourne that I don't like very much. I know that there are people on this forum that do live around there - so hopefully they'll be able to shed some light on it for you. It would definitely be an easy drive for your husband from there, coz it is right near the princes highway which goes all the way to Geelong.

Have you not arrived yet? If not - then I would suggest going to Geelong for a week - may as well take the opportunity to see a bit of Victoria. There are some nice areas around Geelong that you could visit,a few nice beaches, although I realise it's winter, along the GOR there are some lovely nature walks. Have a look at the GOR website http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/ it may give you a little more to think about.

I've been to Cologne in Germany and lived in Geelong and I would have to say that Geelong has certainly got more going for it than just the 'Industrial Town' label. As most places, there are some real dodgy areas and some nice areas!

Good Luck!!

Sorry forgot to add that Seddon would definitely be the quicker journey to Geelong, however from Coburg you head north on Sydney rd and get onto the ring road - that eventually meets up with Princes Hwy and goes to Geelong. That was the journey my boyfriend did to get to work while we were living in Geelong and it took him about 1hr 10mins. I would estimate the Seddon-Geelong to be about 50mins.

Last edited by nmccallum; Jun 22nd 2006 at 4:29 am.