Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tomtom needed in oz

tomtom needed in oz

Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:55 pm
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about
Default tomtom needed in oz

Where are these purchased from in oz, more specifically melbourne, as i will defo need one.
Which are the reasonably priced stores that sell them?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:14 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tomtom needed in oz

Got ours from www.dicksmith.com.au. Not sure about prices, it was just the first shop we went in on our arrival, having got lost trying to find the shopping mall.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Not that much of a requirement where I am... I can take THE road North or THE road South... or if I am feeling particularly adventurous THE road inland.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Looking at the prices on the site you may be cheaper to buy one here.

Either purchase the the go730 and buy the Australian maps from tomtom or I believe that the top of the range 930 comes with worldwide maps.

May be even cheaper going for the superceded models 720 or 920.

I got my 720 6 months ago off ebay for £190
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Dont think you will have a problem any of the elec retailers have them, they start at about $250 dont forget to ask for discount if you are paying cash the norm is 10/15% off, good luck Gary
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:18 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

just had a look at the link above and a tomtom xl only costs $286! I wonder if it is loaded with the oz map? Sorry don't know anything about sat navs.
Is the xl an older one then.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:30 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

I have a Garmin Nuvi 250 but with Europe maps in. Does anyone know where in Perth I could get the info to change the maps to those in Australia?
I have no clue when it comes to these sorts of things either!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dick Smith is as good as any, or Harvey Norman or JB HiFi, they are all much of a muchness.

Mind you, I dont see any need for one in Australia either, there arent that many roads
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:49 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

A very sound investment in Sydney, I assure you.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by di90
Where are these purchased from in oz, more specifically melbourne, as i will defo need one.
Which are the reasonably priced stores that sell them?
Was looking at the Australia maps last night on the web. Official ones are about 150 bucks.

I then looked at the rrp price of a basic unit and they are about 300.

Wish we had ours when we did our reckie trip. Got the maps for coming over though and its been fantastic.

When we were looking for our hotel and rentals I just put the addresses in and off I went for a drive. Very helpful when looking for a new house to.

Had to find a repair centre recently. I wouldn't have had a clue without having to look up and print on google maps. Was brilliant and hassle free. A friend had to go to a funeral miles away and just gave her the tomtom and off she went.

I will never be without a tomtom again. I won't bother updating maps though instead probably buy a new one every five years or something like that. I have UK maps that should be good enough for when we travel back. They are the only ones I might update perhaps in about 3 or 4 years.

Just want to add that these are brilliant even if you can map read. They aren't just for people who have no sense of direction!!!!

Last edited by PoppetUK; Nov 2nd 2008 at 1:24 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tawkins1
I have a Garmin Nuvi 250 but with Europe maps in. Does anyone know where in Perth I could get the info to change the maps to those in Australia?
I have no clue when it comes to these sorts of things either!
go here if you want to buy new maps or look at mininova to learn how to do it yourself
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

We had a TomTom One that we bought from the UK & bought the Oz maps for. We bought a 2nd One (cos we have two cars now) whilst we were in Canberra. I shopped around at the time& JB-Hifi was the cheapest. Can't remember how much we paid now. They have been well worth the investment!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Was looking at the Australia maps last night on the web. Official ones are about 150 bucks.

I then looked at the rrp price of a basic unit and they are about 300.

Wish we had ours when we did our reckie trip. Got the maps for coming over though and its been fantastic.

When we were looking for our hotel and rentals I just put the addresses in and off I went for a drive. Very helpful when looking for a new house to.

Had to find a repair centre recently. I wouldn't have had a clue without having to look up and print on google maps. Was brilliant and hassle free. A friend had to go to a funeral miles away and just gave her the tomtom and off she went.

I will never be without a tomtom again. I won't bother updating maps though instead probably buy a new one every five years or something like that. I have UK maps that should be good enough for when we travel back. They are the only ones I might update perhaps in about 3 or 4 years.

Just want to add that these are brilliant even if you can map read. They aren't just for people who have no sense of direction!!!!

Before leaving the UK, I bought a 720 map off ebay from an official re-seller......
£54 and it works fine when first turned on....update the maps etc online....no work again...error message says...map cannot be used on this device.... so far the seller has not responded to emails!

Anybody in Oz looking for a genuine..UK map!

Last edited by mi5agent; Nov 2nd 2008 at 5:39 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cj321
go here if you want to buy new maps or look at mininova to learn how to do it yourself
dont suppose you have the info for |Tom Tom Aussie maps?????
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would not have one. Book of maps works fine. There have been cases here in Aus where sat nav have taken people off the beaten track and they get lost and have to be rescued. Not favourite of country people.

The problem is people put in direct route to whereever and often this is over dirt roads and fire tracks etc and they get lost.

They also do not show the road works and road changes so in my view they are not worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.