Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tin Roof's.........

Tin Roof's.........

Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:46 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tin Roof's.........

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I find them noisier than a tiled roof and you wait until you have a large hail storm on the metal roof.
Wait untill you have a hailstorm on a Tile roof
http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/ind...ED00C04FCF6B8F
.............. mm
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mog
We have been looking at houses on Realestate.com and have noticed that many of the houses have sheet metal roofs and the question is are they very noisy when it rains ?????

mog

Ours is tin with a tin veranda out the front, its quite noisy to start with but you soon get used to it and I quite like the sound of a heavy downpour.

I really like the colorbond roofs. A friend from golf works for the company that makes it and it lasts for years, he is in the warranty department and the have claims 25-30 years after the house was built and they still look into the claims and if they are justified they will payout.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice

I was told the the difference (when the are wet) is that a tiled roof weighs 4.5 tonnes more!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a tin roof and it doesn't bother us. In our main living area the ceilings are high, I'd say its a bit louder than the rest of the house....but its no big deal.

As someone else has said tiles can get really damaged in the hail storms over here

Sue x
Old Jul 10th 2006, 12:57 pm
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jensteve
Another plus point is you are less likely to be broken into through your roof, afterall we do live in the land of single story homes and it is so easy to whizz a few tiles out and gain entry.
Jenny

OMG does that happen much then ? Never really thought about that
Old Jul 10th 2006, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mog
We have been looking at houses on Realestate.com and have noticed that many of the houses have sheet metal roofs and the question is are they very noisy when it rains ?????

mog
not to noisy at all. (our tin roof)
Attached Thumbnails Tin Roof's.........-inside-house-105.jpg  
Old Jul 10th 2006, 1:54 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we had a tin roof in our rental...............it almost caused a divorce and my kids were shockers..........................just make sure there is plenty insulation and u should b right.............ours had none ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Jul 10th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pootle26
the roof spaces over here are very small & they are chokka with insulation sam
Do they insulate the walls in new houses over there? I'm sure I heard somewhere that they don't bother...
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
Do they insulate the walls in new houses over there? I'm sure I heard somewhere that they don't bother...
http://www.livingcolourstudio.com.au/arch_5Star.htm
Global Consciousness
The Victorian Government’s new 5 Star Energy Ratings mean we have come of age regarding our individual responsibility for the planet. Good design is no longer opinion, it’s common sense. The average energy efficiency rating of houses in Victoria is currently only 2 stars. Considering our current and future energy and water needs, it’s clearly not good enough.

With a few simple design and construction changes, plus the use of special water and energy saving features, we can make our new houses and apartments 50% more energy efficient while heating and cooling, and reduce water consumption by up to 25%. That’s what the 5 Star standard is all about. Water will be saved by recycling and using rainwater tanks. Better heating and cooling will be achieved through the building fabric, insulation, double glazing and solar hot water systems.

Benefits of a 5 Star House
Better comfort.
A 5 Star house will be up to five degrees warmer in winter and as much as 10 degrees cooler in summer, depending on construction materials and design.

Better value.
Living in a 5 Star house could save households up to $210 on energy bills and $50 on water bills every year, on average. If you have central heating and air conditioning, a large house, or if your house is heated and cooled during the day, your savings could be even greater.

A better place to live.
A 5 Star house will help create a cleaner, healthier environment. You’ll save water and use less energy – and reduce greenhouse gas pollution by up to 5 tonnes every year. This will help make Victoria a better place for us all to live in.

What makes a 5 Star House?
A new house must achieve a 5 Star level of energy efficiency. For any house type there will always be several different ways to achieve the 5 Star rating. Features such as house orientation, internal design, building materials, shading of windows, insulation, glazing, as well as water saving fixtures are all taken into account. However, there is a great deal of flexibility and trade-offs can be made between different elements to achieve the end result. For example a 5 Star house may also have other features such as a solar hot water system or a rainwater tank

Accredited computer programs are used to assess the impact of the combined effect of these different factors on the energy efficiency of the house. The software programs – FirstRate and NatHERS – also make it easy to measure different strategies for meeting the 5 Star standard.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:29 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan
not to noisy at all. (our tin roof)
Your house is huuuuge!!!! Looks lovely!!!!!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fnord
I grew up in a house with a tin roof. I missed that here in the UK until we had a loft conversion done. Helps me sleep better when it rains. But it's still not quite the same. Its close, but not quite load enough
Ditto. Can't be beaten.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Tin Roof's.........

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Ditto. Can't be beaten.
I couldn't agree more.

When my family moved to Tassie, we had an old-fashioned corrugated iron roof which was a bit creaky and loose at the edges here & there. I remember having to get up on the roof in the middle of a storm one night, to help nail the bugger down! :scared: Ah, the memories...

We eventually upgraded to colourbond, which was much tougher and still sounded fantastic during heavy rain or hail! It's something I miss now that I'm in the UK.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
We are building: The stud walls are lined with a reflectice covering, same with the underside of the colourbond roof. Then the loft floor is insulated with what they call batts, which is the wooly fibreglass that is the same as UK. There is also a thinner version that sits inbetween the stud on all external walls, before the plasterboard goes up. Personally, I'm going to be there when this bit happens as I want to make sure that it's done to ALL the external walls: I don't trust builders!

Can't wait to be in our own house, Rent and mortgage is killing us at the moment!

Tony
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

Originally Posted by biggy
we had a tin roof in our rental...............it almost caused a divorce and my kids were shockers..........................just make sure there is plenty insulation and u should b right.............ours had none ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
My friend uses a mooncup - she puts hers in the dishwasher at the end of each use
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:00 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southstander
My friend uses a mooncup - she puts hers in the dishwasher at the end of each use

????????was that in the wrong thread by any chance?????????????

xRachx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.