Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tin Roof's.........

Tin Roof's.........

Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:31 pm
Mog
Forum Regular

Mog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud of
Default Tin Roof's.........

We have been looking at houses on Realestate.com and have noticed that many of the houses have sheet metal roofs and the question is are they very noisy when it rains ?????

mog
Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tin Roof's.........

Originally Posted by Mog
We have been looking at houses on Realestate.com and have noticed that many of the houses have sheet metal roofs and the question is are they very noisy when it rains ?????

mog
Considered by some to be part of the appeal.

Metal roofs with insulation to the underside are more liveable.

WW
Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:51 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

Metal roofs with insulation to the underside are more liveable.

WW
As long as they are insulated they are apparently fine. Another plus point is you are less likely to be broken into through your roof, afterall we do live in the land of single story homes and it is so easy to whizz a few tiles out and gain entry.
Jenny
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:14 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

They are quite loud but if you've got a nice heave rain storm, it can be quite cosy!

The material is called zinkerloom (or something like that) and it rebounds heat quite nicely.

I have lived in houses with both tiles and tin roof

Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:16 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mog

mog

Oh YES :scared:
The only bit of metal roofing on our house (According to the plans) is over the patio but I think that will be noisy enough.

Loz x
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:30 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mog

mog
Brought back memories of a holiday to France in a caravan in the middle of a thunderstorm. :scared: but still relaxing
Old Jul 9th 2006, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

i have a tin roof
you cannot hear the rain anymore than you can with a tiled roof - the roof spaces over here are very small & they are chokka with insulation so you cant hear the noise - i also have a 40ft x30 ft patio & the roof is made from zincalume - obviously you can hear that when you are outside - & it is NOISY! once indoors you cannot really hear it much at all - zincalume is good as a roof as it reflects the sun in the summer, good bonus as it cuts down on air con bills

hth

sam
Old Jul 9th 2006, 9:14 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mog

mog
If you have ever been through a "full on Aussie "hail storm you will know why we have steel roofs ,,they last longer................ mm
Old Jul 9th 2006, 9:27 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Colourbond roofing.

I must admit when I first saw it I thought it looked ugly but I'm warming to it now.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

Originally Posted by pootle26
zincalume is good as a roof as it reflects the sun in the summer, good bonus as it cuts down on air con bills

hth

sam

How is it in winter - does it keep the cold out/heat in? I really don't want to be cold!
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:47 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I find them noisier than a tiled roof and you wait until you have a large hail storm on the metal roof.

Originally Posted by Mog

mog
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mog

mog
Where we're building, one of the building covenants is that we have to have colourbond (tin roofs). At first, we didnt think much of them, but have warmed to them, and now much prefer them to tiles.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Where we're building, one of the building covenants is that we have to have colourbond (tin roofs). At first, we didnt think much of them, but have warmed to them, and now much prefer them to tiles.
I'd choose tin over tiles anyday.

We have tiles, and some are broken. Tiles also absorb water. Infact, I can't really see any benefit to them. New tin looks great as well.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:20 am
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
I grew up in a house with a tin roof. I missed that here in the UK until we had a loft conversion done. Helps me sleep better when it rains. But it's still not quite the same. Its close, but not quite load enough
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We stayed with relatives on the Gold Coast a couple of years back and they had a tin roof. We were there for 2 weeks and there was some really heavy rain a couple of times. I can't say I found it that noisy at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.