British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tin roof v Tiled roof - which is best? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tin-roof-v-tiled-roof-best-299469/)

Sue from Manchester Apr 28th 2005 8:34 am

Tin roof v Tiled roof - which is best?

Looking through realestate.com I find myself put off when I see a property has a tin roof as I keep thinking they'll be noisy and hot. What's your opinion?

coxfamuk Apr 28th 2005 8:36 am

Re: Tin roof v Tiled roof - which is best?

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Looking through realestate.com I find myself put off when I see a property has a tin roof as I keep thinking they'll be noisy and hot. What's your opinion?

When we lived in South Africa, we once had a house with a tin roof. Whilst insulation means it doesn't get hot, we certainly found it a lot noisier during storms, etc. than a house with a tiled roof. We would never buy a house with a tin roof again!

Hope that helps :confused:

Rooksie Apr 28th 2005 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester

ever been on a caravan holiday and woken up and 5am by bloody seagulls landing on roof...........!?!?! imagine all the critters scutterin around on your roof in Oz?!??! you wouldnt sleep a wink!! and youd probably be crappin your pants!! :scared:

and im sure im not alone when i say what good fun it is to throw bread on neighbours caravan roof at night ...... :D

blossom Apr 28th 2005 8:56 am

We had a house built in Oz with a tin roof and bullnose veranda - it was lovely - However we did ensure that the roof space was well insulated which abated alot of rain noise. We never had problems with noise from birds on the roof, so I suspect it is all down to the insulation you use.

I would definitely have another 'tin' roof.

We did rent a place once with a tin roof, but mustn't have had any real insualtion as when it rained (rain is very heavy on Oz) we couldn't hear the tv!!

My advice, go with what you want, but make sure you insulate.

Blossom

Carruss Apr 28th 2005 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Rooksie
ever been on a caravan holiday and woken up and 5am by bloody seagulls landing on roof...........!?!?! imagine all the critters scutterin around on your roof in Oz?!??! you wouldnt sleep a wink!! and youd probably be crappin your pants!! :scared:

and im sure im not alone when i say what good fun it is to throw bread on neighbours caravan roof at night ...... :D

Excellent , been there and done that! :D LOL

My old man lived in a mobile home whilst building a bungalow and the noise was unbearable.

Like you say if there are no birds and no rain its probably OK!

R.

Rooksie Apr 28th 2005 9:03 am

Originally Posted by blossom
We had a house built in Oz with a tin roof and bullnose veranda - it was lovely - However we did ensure that the roof space was well insulated which abated alot of rain noise. We never had problems with noise from birds on the roof, so I suspect it is all down to the insulation you use.

I would definitely have another 'tin' roof.

We did rent a place once with a tin roof, but mustn't have had any real insualtion as when it rained (rain is very heavy on Oz) we couldn't hear the tv!!

My advice, go with what you want, but make sure you insulate.

Blossom

but they have possums blossom!!!

MrsDagboy Apr 28th 2005 9:45 am

Yeah but half of the time the possums live in the roof :D .

I love a tin roof, nothing nicer than the sound of rain on the roof! Its something that Aussie country people seem to appreciate ;) .

bondipom Apr 28th 2005 9:51 am

I've heard that tiled rooving can crack under the golf ball size hail stones that can fall here. Anyone with any experience?

blossom Apr 28th 2005 9:59 am

Well we must have been lucky - no possum problems experienced at either house - one in bush setting and the rented place in central Wollongong.

Our garden visitors were rosellas and galahs - and never a problem.

I loved my tin roof (colourbond), and would definitely have another home with one. It's down to individual preference, but I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

We also found them cooler in the summer months - so there is another plus.

Blossom

Rooksie Apr 28th 2005 10:08 am

Well we must have been lucky - no possum problems experienced at either house - one in bush setting and the rented place in central Wollongong.

Our garden visitors were rosellas and galahs - and never a problem.

I loved my tin roof (colourbond), and would definitely have another home with one. It's down to individual preference, but I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

We also found them cooler in the summer months - so there is another plus.

Blossom

id be happy with no roof and sleep under the stars - i just want bloody visa!!!
:(

blossom Apr 28th 2005 10:16 am

id be happy with no roof and sleep under the stars - i just want bloody visa!!!
:(

Would be nice, until the rain and hail paid a visit!

Sending you some karma - your visa will arrive.

Blossom

Rooksie Apr 28th 2005 10:22 am

Would be nice, until the rain and hail paid a visit!

Sending you some karma - your visa will arrive.

Blossom

thanks mate - we right where we started 6 months ago however - still havent resubmiited 2nd TRA attempt!!!! talk about nightmare!!!! :(

karma to you :D

cresta57 Apr 28th 2005 10:23 am

Originally Posted by bondipom
I've heard that tiled rooving can crack under the golf ball size hail stones that can fall here. Anyone with any experience?

We had a severe hail storm here on Easter Saturday, the damage to tiled roofs was spectacular, tiles were obliterated by the hailstones the power/size of them is amazing. Of the four jobs we've worked on in the area that was hit the tiled roof is by far the worst affected. The hailstones penetrated the roof void and caused considerable damage to electrical fittings and gyprock when they melted. The three tin roofs had a few dents but nothing major.
In an area where there is no reticulated water tin/colourbond roofs are necessary anyway as tiles give off far too much dust and muck which build up to an unhealthy sediment in the water tank.
Our roof is colourbond and as the roof is well insulated we don't have any of the excessive noise of an uninsulated ones, the hailstones have put a few small dents in it over the last 18 months. If the sheets do get damaged they are quick and easy to replace unlike concrete tiles which vary in size and colour and often go out of production.
For me it's tin all the way, thats just my preference. :D

sophia Apr 28th 2005 10:27 am

ooo ooo ooo I answered this one before!! I personally would prefer a tin roof to a tiled roof anyday!

When we first arrived we rented a place with a tin roof that had no insulation and during the stormy season we couldn't hear the TV and we vowed never to have a tin roof in our house. :rolleyes:

We bought a house with a tile roof then needed some electrical work doing...did he go through the loft???? NOOOOOO he just slide out some tiles and went in through the roof!!! :scared: how easy would it be for burglars to get in MY house??!!

My aussie mate on the other hand has a house with a very well insulated tin roof, you can't hear the rain (much), keeps the warm in and the heat out during the change of seasons, the roof is not open for burglars and as another poster said, the roof won't crack with the violent weather...or get blown away during a windy storm!!

Tin roof for me on my next place for sure!!! :D

love sophia xx

Sue from Manchester Apr 28th 2005 11:12 am

Thanks for all your replies guys. It looks then like I shouldn't rule a tin roof out so long as it is well insulated..

Cheers

Sue

boom_meringue Apr 28th 2005 11:15 am

I'm with Sophia on this one, friends of ours in Rockingham had their house broken into by some scum bag who whipped a few of the tiles off the roof and got straight in.

Good luck!

Steve

sophia Apr 28th 2005 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
I'm with Sophia on this one, friends of ours in Rockingham had their house broken into by some scum bag who whipped a few of the tiles off the roof and got straight in.

Good luck!

Steve

:scared: :scared: AAARRRGGHHH see what I mean...I live in rockingham!!! flipping 'eck wonder how much it is to replace my roof!!!

Nah, it'll be fine, we've been here nearly 3 years now and not had a problem, we love rockingham....bit boring tho!!

love sophia xx

boom_meringue Apr 28th 2005 11:48 am

Originally Posted by sophia
:scared: :scared: AAARRRGGHHH see what I mean...I live in rockingham!!! flipping 'eck wonder how much it is to replace my roof!!!

Nah, it'll be fine, we've been here nearly 3 years now and not had a problem, we love rockingham....bit boring tho!!

love sophia xx

is Rockingham really that boring? we liked the fact that you can be on the beach quickly and in the city within 45 minutes. Our favourite part of Perth was Freo but we can't afford a decent size house there :(

sophia Apr 28th 2005 11:58 am

is Rockingham really that boring? we liked the fact that you can be on the beach quickly and in the city within 45 minutes. Our favourite part of Perth was Freo but we can't afford a decent size house there :(

hi there,

Don't get me wrong, Rockingham is beautiful (and anyone who wants to point out the fact that it isn't and that it's "near" the industrial strip obviously hasn't been to the miles and miles of unspoilt beaches just around the corner from the "tourist" beach at the foreshore) ;)

well I guess it depends what you are after lifestyle-wise. We have a 5 year old boy and it suits us for now, but for a young couple who are into going out still then it definitely would be too boring!!

The coastline here is arguably some of the best I've seen in time I've been here (and no I haven't seen it all, before anyone starts, it's just MY opinion! :D :p )

I commute to Freo about 5 days a week for my yoga teacher training and would have to say I would move there in a hot minute if we could afford anything!! We moved from Leeds/Wakefield city centre living and plonked ourselves in Rockingham. Which, as I say is great if you want a pretty peaceful lifestyle...I just miss the city a bit! So I think at some point we will look to moving to Freo or it's surrounds just so we can be a bit closer to where stuff is happening.

If you want to know anything else, feel free!!

love sophia xx

steandleigh Apr 28th 2005 11:58 am

We are 'tin roof' peeps :D

Firstly, the insulation is fine, depending upon where you live - for us it's bloody hot in summer and freezing now in winter - insulation or not.

Secondly, the sound of the rain upon the roof is absolutely beautiful and I would not change it for a second. When it rains here, it really rains.

It's like many other things in live - it either pisses you off, or you get used to ( and ignore it ) or you start to accept and appreciate the simple things in life.

Do you have much else going off in your life? ( Not meant as an inflammatory comment...)...

I have a husband, two kids aged 4 and 6, a full time job, family and friends to keep in touch with, housework, cooking, washing, ironing, homework, projects, gardening, an ongoing 'housebuild', etc etc to contend with and one of the finest things I can think of is to sit on the patio with a glass of wine and a good book and listen to the raindrops fall on me tin roof - BLISS!!!!

;)

MrsDagboy Apr 28th 2005 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by steandleigh
We are 'tin roof' peeps :D

Firstly, the insulation is fine, depending upon where you live - for us it's bloody hot in summer and freezing now in winter - insulation or not.

Secondly, the sound of the rain upon the roof is absolutely beautiful and I would not change it for a second. When it rains here, it really rains.

It's like many other things in live - it either pisses you off, or you get used to ( and ignore it ) or you start to accept and appreciate the simple things in life.

Do you have much else going off in your life? ( Not meant as an inflammatory comment...)...

I have a husband, two kids aged 4 and 6, a full time job, family and friends to keep in touch with, housework, cooking, washing, ironing, homework, projects, gardening, an ongoing 'housebuild', etc etc to contend with and one of the finest things I can think of is to sit on the patio with a glass of wine and a good book and listen to the raindrops fall on me tin roof - BLISS!!!!

;)

That is such a great post - but it wouldnt let me give you karma, said I have to spread it around (oooeerrrrrr missus :eek: :D ).

boom_meringue Apr 28th 2005 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by sophia
hi there,

Don't get me wrong, Rockingham is beautiful (and anyone who wants to point out the fact that it isn't and that it's "near" the industrial strip obviously hasn't been to the miles and miles of unspoilt beaches just around the corner from the "tourist" beach at the foreshore) ;)

well I guess it depends what you are after lifestyle-wise. We have a 5 year old boy and it suits us for now, but for a young couple who are into going out still then it definitely would be too boring!!

The coastline here is arguably some of the best I've seen in time I've been here (and no I haven't seen it all, before anyone starts, it's just MY opinion! :D :p )

I commute to Freo about 5 days a week for my yoga teacher training and would have to say I would move there in a hot minute if we could afford anything!! We moved from Leeds/Wakefield city centre living and plonked ourselves in Rockingham. Which, as I say is great if you want a pretty peaceful lifestyle...I just miss the city a bit! So I think at some point we will look to moving to Freo or it's surrounds just so we can be a bit closer to where stuff is happening.

If you want to know anything else, feel free!!

love sophia xx

Sophia,

we are both from Cornwall and loved the beautiful beaches and peaceful surroundings. We're looking to get out of the rat race and get back to being a bit hippy and a hell of alot more chilled out. Rockingham will do for a start I think but alot is going to hinge on where I can find work (boring IT stuff) because I don't want to be in the position of spending hours each day commuting

How long does it take you to get to Freo from Rocky? I loved the energy of Freo and there are some fantastic restaurants - we found the best mexican place and I hope it's still there.

Steve

steandleigh Apr 28th 2005 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
That is such a great post - but it wouldnt let me give you karma, said I have to spread it around (oooeerrrrrr missus :eek: :D ).

Thanks Mrs D. :)

What I am beginning to think ( after all of my vast...ooh...9 months experience of Australia..., is that what makes a migrant or what breaks a migrant is not the 'big house', the 'mortgage free lifestyle', the '4x4', the " moccachino versus the cappuccino ', not the 'best schools', not the pretence...

But...ME!!!! ( Big headed cow, I know.... :D ).

I LOVE AUSTRALIA, I loved the summer ( and it was BLOODY hot ), I love the rain ( and the sound of it ), I am still thrilled when a cockatoo squarks noisily overhead, when I drive to Cairns, via the sugarcane fields and it still puts a smile on my face. The fact that my kids don't have to spend 20 minutes 'rugging up' before they can go outside....

Too many things to mention and many peeps on here woulden't get it anyway, it's acceptance, it's reality and it's living....

I'm a simple girl me.

( No offence meant to the OP, I asked plenty of silly qwuestions before i arrived too, just go with the flow.....best advice around....) :)

sophia Apr 28th 2005 3:11 pm

Sophia,

we are both from Cornwall and loved the beautiful beaches and peaceful surroundings. We're looking to get out of the rat race and get back to being a bit hippy and a hell of alot more chilled out. Rockingham will do for a start I think but alot is going to hinge on where I can find work (boring IT stuff) because I don't want to be in the position of spending hours each day commuting

How long does it take you to get to Freo from Rocky? I loved the energy of Freo and there are some fantastic restaurants - we found the best mexican place and I hope it's still there.

Steve

Well sounds to me like Rockingham could be ideal for you guys! My hubby is in IT and to be honest found it very hard initially to get work (he's in IT Project Management, it took him a year to find anything remotely right for him :( ). I hear the IT industry has picked up since we arrived so here's hoping you'll have success finding the right job for you.

I think that most IT work will be up in the City, which although it usually takes about an hour, will be longer at the moment due to the roadworks on the freeway for the new railway that's due here next year (!hmm we'll see if the workers can be arsed finishing on time first I guess lol!) so if commuting may be an issue, I would either think about renting here first or just doing the run a couple of times during rush hour to see what you think.

It usually takes me between 35-40 mins to get to freo from here, I always take the scenic route tho (which probably takes slightly longer) as I don't see the point in living near the sea and then never seeing it!! :D Freo is absolutely one of my favourite places here, the vibe is sooo cool. The people are lovely and friendly (and of course, very much on my wavelength!!). Not sure about the mexican, can you remember what it's called and where it was?

love sophia xx

Carruss Apr 28th 2005 3:22 pm

( No offence meant to the OP, I asked plenty of silly qwuestions before i arrived too, just go with the flow.....best advice around....) :)

Yes, you PM'd us over a week ago about 'any questions' and I emailed you and never got a reply! :p LOL

R.

MrsDagboy Apr 29th 2005 3:16 am

Thanks Mrs D. :)

What I am beginning to think ( after all of my vast...ooh...9 months experience of Australia..., is that what makes a migrant or what breaks a migrant is not the 'big house', the 'mortgage free lifestyle', the '4x4', the " moccachino versus the cappuccino ', not the 'best schools', not the pretence...

But...ME!!!! ( Big headed cow, I know.... :D ).

I LOVE AUSTRALIA, I loved the summer ( and it was BLOODY hot ), I love the rain ( and the sound of it ), I am still thrilled when a cockatoo squarks noisily overhead, when I drive to Cairns, via the sugarcane fields and it still puts a smile on my face. The fact that my kids don't have to spend 20 minutes 'rugging up' before they can go outside....

Too many things to mention and many peeps on here woulden't get it anyway, it's acceptance, it's reality and it's living....

I'm a simple girl me.

Another great post, sorry I cant give karma for it again!

I know what you mean about the simple girl bit, similar to me, couldnt give a toss if I cant get the latest fashions from europe, latest designer clothes or anything like that. The things that make me happy are like yours - driving down the road & seeing some beautiful scene unfold before me, relaxing on the verandah or on the boat, watching the kids playing in the pool or on their bikes riding up & down the driveway etc.

This morning we walked out into the living room & looked through our french doors to see 3 sulpher crested cockatoos sitting on our verandah railing talking to each other. They just sat there about 6 feet away from us for about 5 mins befre they flew away.

Absolute magic :) .

Someone once said on here (& its so true) - either you "get it" or you don't ;) .

hevs Apr 29th 2005 3:22 am

I have both. The old part is tiled and the new part is tin. The tin is over the bedroom and i love it, it rained last night and its a beautiful sound.

We have found some great insulation stuff called isoboard its fab and is working very well, the difference where we've finished and where we havn't is astounding:)

Badge Apr 29th 2005 3:28 am

Someone once said on here (& its so true) - either you "get it" or you don't ;) .

It is me that used to say that - you either get it or you don't.

It was the sole reason why I joined this site. I wanted to tell people it isn't about Tim Tams vs Penguins or Coles vs Woolies or kangaroos you want to see bouncing down the street, or how "lovely" the beach is, it's just accepting the differences and the whyfores and understanding the Aussie pschye/way of doing things.

I'm a simple boy at heart too. Wish my job was simple too, but hey :D

Badge

steandleigh Apr 29th 2005 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Carruss
Yes, you PM'd us over a week ago about 'any questions' and I emailed you and never got a reply! :p LOL

R.

Are you the frigie / air con peeps? if so, I sent you a pm back! Check your mail box. :)

NickyC Apr 29th 2005 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Badge
It is me that used to say that - you either get it or you don't.

It was the sole reason why I joined this site. I wanted to tell people it isn't about Tim Tams vs Penguins or Coles vs Woolies or kangaroos you want to see bouncing down the street, or how "lovely" the beach is, it's just accepting the differences and the whyfores and understanding the Aussie pschye/way of doing things.

I'm a simple boy at heart too. Wish my job was simple too, but hey :D

Badge

I agree with ALL of you... (well Mrs DB of course, and Steandleigh and Badge).

I knew it was for me the minute I saw the harbour through the jacarandas.

The novelty STILL hasn't worn off and barely a day does by when I don't thank my lucky stars that I was smart enough to come and have a look all those years ago! I'm also eternally grateful that Australia let me stay (came on a WHV).

I guess we're just lucky that we've found somewhere to live that 'fits' us all so well.

MrsDagboy Apr 29th 2005 9:18 am

Badge, thought it was you but wasn't sure.

Nicky, not very often we don't agree ;) , know what you mean though, Dagboy says the same thing, when he drives into work somedays he says he still cant believe that he lives here :) .

steandleigh Apr 29th 2005 11:17 am

Dagboy says when he drives into work he still cant believe that he lives here :) .

Hallelujah! :) ;)

Looks like we're on the same wavelength.... :)

astonished Apr 29th 2005 11:49 am

I think the broad agreement would be that modern colourbond style tin is far superior to concrete tiles but concrete tiles are better than old fashioned galvanised iron. Now slate is an option which looks cool and you should consider terracotta tiles which also are very good but expensive. All have strengths and weaknesses but if push came to shove i would put in colourbond iron roof as it lasts for ever. suprisingly much longer than concrete tiles which can be waterlogged in 20 years and hurt your roof structure.

Plug Apr 29th 2005 12:00 pm

I think everyone has summed it up but I'll add my bit - lived in NZ as a kid and when it rained - and boy does it rain! - you couldn't sleep at night :mad: !

hevs Apr 30th 2005 10:42 pm

It rained over night last night, first real rain since Feb, and it woke me up, just for a couple of mins, but then lulled me back to sleep again :)

Wol Apr 30th 2005 11:17 pm

What exactly is this "Rain" stuff that you are all talking about?

hevs Apr 30th 2005 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
What exactly is this "Rain" stuff that you are all talking about?

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, it never rains in Aus does it :D

Badge May 1st 2005 12:57 am

A rat came down our chimney and is now behind the fridge!!

Badge

Pollyana May 1st 2005 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Badge
A rat came down our chimney and is now behind the fridge!!

Badge

Wasn't there a song about it? "Theres a rat in my kitchen, what am I gonna do........" :confused:

MrsDagboy May 1st 2005 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wasn't there a song about it? "Theres a rat in my kitchen, what am I gonna do........" :confused:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286360

Hey Badge, is he related to ours by any chance? ;)