Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tin roof v Tiled roof - which is best?

Tin roof v Tiled roof - which is best?

Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Tin roof v Tiled roof - which is best?

Looking through realestate.com I find myself put off when I see a property has a tin roof as I keep thinking they'll be noisy and hot. What's your opinion?
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: Tin roof v Tiled roof - which is best?

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Looking through realestate.com I find myself put off when I see a property has a tin roof as I keep thinking they'll be noisy and hot. What's your opinion?
When we lived in South Africa, we once had a house with a tin roof. Whilst insulation means it doesn't get hot, we certainly found it a lot noisier during storms, etc. than a house with a tiled roof. We would never buy a house with a tin roof again!

Hope that helps
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester

ever been on a caravan holiday and woken up and 5am by bloody seagulls landing on roof...........!?!?! imagine all the critters scutterin around on your roof in Oz?!??! you wouldnt sleep a wink!! and youd probably be crappin your pants!! :scared:

and im sure im not alone when i say what good fun it is to throw bread on neighbours caravan roof at night ......
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:56 am
blossom

We had a house built in Oz with a tin roof and bullnose veranda - it was lovely - However we did ensure that the roof space was well insulated which abated alot of rain noise. We never had problems with noise from birds on the roof, so I suspect it is all down to the insulation you use.

I would definitely have another 'tin' roof.

We did rent a place once with a tin roof, but mustn't have had any real insualtion as when it rained (rain is very heavy on Oz) we couldn't hear the tv!!

My advice, go with what you want, but make sure you insulate.

Blossom

Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:58 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Tin roof v Tiled roof - which is best?

Originally Posted by Rooksie
ever been on a caravan holiday and woken up and 5am by bloody seagulls landing on roof...........!?!?! imagine all the critters scutterin around on your roof in Oz?!??! you wouldnt sleep a wink!! and youd probably be crappin your pants!! :scared:

and im sure im not alone when i say what good fun it is to throw bread on neighbours caravan roof at night ......
Excellent , been there and done that! LOL

My old man lived in a mobile home whilst building a bungalow and the noise was unbearable.

Like you say if there are no birds and no rain its probably OK!

R.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 9:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by blossom
We had a house built in Oz with a tin roof and bullnose veranda - it was lovely - However we did ensure that the roof space was well insulated which abated alot of rain noise. We never had problems with noise from birds on the roof, so I suspect it is all down to the insulation you use.

I would definitely have another 'tin' roof.

We did rent a place once with a tin roof, but mustn't have had any real insualtion as when it rained (rain is very heavy on Oz) we couldn't hear the tv!!

My advice, go with what you want, but make sure you insulate.

Blossom

but they have possums blossom!!!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 9:45 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but half of the time the possums live in the roof .

I love a tin roof, nothing nicer than the sound of rain on the roof! Its something that Aussie country people seem to appreciate .
Old Apr 28th 2005, 9:51 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard that tiled rooving can crack under the golf ball size hail stones that can fall here. Anyone with any experience?
Old Apr 28th 2005, 9:59 am
blossom

Well we must have been lucky - no possum problems experienced at either house - one in bush setting and the rented place in central Wollongong.

Our garden visitors were rosellas and galahs - and never a problem.

I loved my tin roof (colourbond), and would definitely have another home with one. It's down to individual preference, but I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

We also found them cooler in the summer months - so there is another plus.

Blossom

Old Apr 28th 2005, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Well we must have been lucky - no possum problems experienced at either house - one in bush setting and the rented place in central Wollongong.

Our garden visitors were rosellas and galahs - and never a problem.

I loved my tin roof (colourbond), and would definitely have another home with one. It's down to individual preference, but I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

We also found them cooler in the summer months - so there is another plus.

Blossom

id be happy with no roof and sleep under the stars - i just want bloody visa!!!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 10:16 am
blossom

id be happy with no roof and sleep under the stars - i just want bloody visa!!!

Would be nice, until the rain and hail paid a visit!

Sending you some karma - your visa will arrive.

Blossom

Old Apr 28th 2005, 10:22 am
Account Closed

Would be nice, until the rain and hail paid a visit!

Sending you some karma - your visa will arrive.

Blossom

thanks mate - we right where we started 6 months ago however - still havent resubmiited 2nd TRA attempt!!!! talk about nightmare!!!!

karma to you
Old Apr 28th 2005, 10:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
I've heard that tiled rooving can crack under the golf ball size hail stones that can fall here. Anyone with any experience?
We had a severe hail storm here on Easter Saturday, the damage to tiled roofs was spectacular, tiles were obliterated by the hailstones the power/size of them is amazing. Of the four jobs we've worked on in the area that was hit the tiled roof is by far the worst affected. The hailstones penetrated the roof void and caused considerable damage to electrical fittings and gyprock when they melted. The three tin roofs had a few dents but nothing major.
In an area where there is no reticulated water tin/colourbond roofs are necessary anyway as tiles give off far too much dust and muck which build up to an unhealthy sediment in the water tank.
Our roof is colourbond and as the roof is well insulated we don't have any of the excessive noise of an uninsulated ones, the hailstones have put a few small dents in it over the last 18 months. If the sheets do get damaged they are quick and easy to replace unlike concrete tiles which vary in size and colour and often go out of production.
For me it's tin all the way, thats just my preference.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

ooo ooo ooo I answered this one before!! I personally would prefer a tin roof to a tiled roof anyday!

When we first arrived we rented a place with a tin roof that had no insulation and during the stormy season we couldn't hear the TV and we vowed never to have a tin roof in our house.

We bought a house with a tile roof then needed some electrical work doing...did he go through the loft???? NOOOOOO he just slide out some tiles and went in through the roof!!! :scared: how easy would it be for burglars to get in MY house??!!

My aussie mate on the other hand has a house with a very well insulated tin roof, you can't hear the rain (much), keeps the warm in and the heat out during the change of seasons, the roof is not open for burglars and as another poster said, the roof won't crack with the violent weather...or get blown away during a windy storm!!

Tin roof for me on my next place for sure!!!

love sophia xx
Old Apr 28th 2005, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Thanks for all your replies guys. It looks then like I shouldn't rule a tin roof out so long as it is well insulated..

Cheers

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.