Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Timescales - When to do What and When??!?

Timescales - When to do What and When??!?

Old Jul 20th 2005, 11:51 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Question Timescales - When to do What and When??!?

We have just sent off our Skills Assessment and my husband is on the MODL List, our agent (who is excellent, but feel I cant ring her with another question AGAIN!! ha ha) said that things are moving very quickly at the moment

Anyone that has been through it recently can you tell me how long does it take for the skills assessment to come back with results??

As I understand it then we send off for the Visa and this includes Medicals and Police Checks. How long does it take when you send this off to get a result??

Someone told me that you have 12 months when visa granted but then someone else said this is from when you have your medical/police check.

My husband lived in Adelaide for a year but I have never been so our plan was to get visa go for trip just the two of us, check it is defo what we want, sell up and move out within 12 months taking our two young kids with us then, but my concern is if it from MEdcial dates then we could only have about 8 months to do all that and it is cutting it fine to get to Oz within 12 months....any suggestions/comment??

And my final question having read alot of messages/threads on here and there seems to be alot of different answers, but when do people tend to put their houses on the market?? When you do are you honest about the fact you are Emmigrating??

Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:20 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timescales - When to do What and When??!?

lots of Qs - let me have a go

Time of skills assessments etc - have a look at timeline

Usually it is 12mths (can be less) from the earliest of the date of the medicals or PC that you have to validate the visa - that means all people incl your children have to enter Australia by this date, even if you get on the next plane out. One reason to wait for request to do them rather than send with application.

House selling - depends on your property and how quickly you need to sell it - ie you may need to bring the price down to move things along - how desirable you property is, and other local market conditions. Some will say ASAP. Get several estate agents round to give you an idea, which is what we have been doing, ask loads of Q (I posted a list of Qs the other day). Estate agents/prospective buyer are NOT knowing exact details - ie just moving out of area.

All the best
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:28 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
lots of Qs - let me have a go

Time of skills assessments etc - have a look at timeline

Usually it is 12mths (can be less) from the earliest of the date of the medicals or PC that you have to validate the visa - that means all people incl your children have to enter Australia by this date, even if you get on the next plane out. One reason to wait for request to do them rather than send with application.

House selling - depends on your property and how quickly you need to sell it - ie you may need to bring the price down to move things along - how desirable you property is, and other local market conditions. Some will say ASAP. Get several estate agents round to give you an idea, which is what we have been doing, ask loads of Q (I posted a list of Qs the other day). Estate agents/prospective buyer are NOT knowing exact details - ie just moving out of area.

All the best

Thank you for all of that, I did see you list of questions which was very helpful!! I just felt people taking a big risk putting their houses on the market so early before they got a YES on the visa, thought they might know something I didnt?? ha ha But I suppose chances of being turned down are quite slim??
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by toon williams
Thank you for all of that, I did see you list of questions which was very helpful!! I just felt people taking a big risk putting their houses on the market so early before they got a YES on the visa, thought they might know something I didnt?? ha ha But I suppose chances of being turned down are quite slim??

ask your agent about applying online, we are and it is all going super fast, 6 weeks TRA and we have just sent off meds and have been told to expect the visa in sept, we have our house on the market now and hope to move in Oct

toni