Timescale

Old Jan 6th 2017, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Unzie85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timescale

Hi, we (Myself, Wife & Daughter) have set a timescale of 2021-2022 when we will be ready to move as this coinsides with when our debts are paid off and we would be in a better financial place to feel better about the move, what my question is though is when did people start the initial process off? Although it's 4-5 years away before we will be ready I don't want to start the ball rolling the year before the move and it take 3 years making it 7-8 years. It seems complicated and very in depth so would people suggest using the Emigration group for help or is it not as complicated as it looks?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff
Old Jan 6th 2017, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timescale

Well, good luck in advance - I thought I had a time scale, got my 175 visa sorted out some 10 or 12 years back, then the money was too good to leave, and the visa lapsed. Got another 175 (because I didn't qualify for a RRV - resident return visa) and thought this was it. Debts have been paid, we've (wife and me) made our bundle, time to move on over and take it slow, but found that letting go of something we built from scratch (i.e. our business) turned out to be a lot harder than anticipated. That 175 lapsed as well.

Now, age is creeping up and by next year, I won't qualify for the 189 (the new 175), so I threw my hat into the ring (? one last time) and obtained the 189 just before the window closed. Clock's ticking - and we have 5 years to decide whether this time it's for real, or will it be another case of cold feet....

As you can see, it's been nearly what, 12 or 13 years and we are still undecided....

Good luck once again!
Old Jan 7th 2017, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It depends a bit on the occupation and points scored as some occupations have ceilings on visas and the higher point applicants are invited first.

Then, it can vary by visa. For example, a 189 is generally faster than a 489.

As a rule of thumb for a skilled visa such as a 189 or 190, then I would allow 9 months start to finish if you are on the ball.

Once a visa is granted, you have 12 months to validate it from the date of medical or police check, which ever was earlier. Many people just do this by a holiday - you will often see it called a validation run. Once the visa is validated, you have 5 years from grant to make the move. So, if you are planning a 20 or 21 move, there would be no harm starting the application now. This has the benefit that if you qualify now, do it now, as the rules and occupation lists change and I have seen many people wait only to find their occupation removed and are no longer eligible.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Accepted a job offer on the morning of my wedding day in August (yes they were hunting me down on a Saturday) and landed January 3.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

From the time we decided to apply, to the time the visa was granted, was about 8 months. That includes the skills assessment, etc.

From then - it was another two years of winding things down (professionally and personally) where we were, while also sorting out and planning things in Australia, and also researching/choosing where we wanted to settle. We took three trips to Australia during that time, doing that.

We both did come here without jobs - many people do that - though we had met with numerous employers on the three trips and felt on the basis of the feedback from them (correctly as it turned out) we would land something once we were actually on the ground here, and not applying from overseas.

My advice to you would be go on and do it, as an earlier poster said you never know when the regulations may change, and your circumstances in the UK could also change facilitating an earlier move.

The process is complex, and I definitely recommend using a registered migration agent (we did). I do think that was the key to our process going so smoothly. I do know others do it themselves without a problem - but the cost of migrating here and getting set up is large, and using a migration agent (should!) only add a small amount to the large amount you are already spending.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

jolder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Unzie85
Hi, we (Myself, Wife & Daughter) have set a timescale of 2021-2022 when we will be ready to move as this coinsides with when our debts are paid off and we would be in a better financial place to feel better about the move, what my question is though is when did people start the initial process off? Although it's 4-5 years away before we will be ready I don't want to start the ball rolling the year before the move and it take 3 years making it 7-8 years. It seems complicated and very in depth so would people suggest using the Emigration group for help or is it not as complicated as it looks?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff
Interesting question, as in, when is the best time to apply because there is no right answer. My 189 visa took about 6-8 weeks from submitting my invitation to apply to being granted but this wouldn't give you an indication of when the best time to apply is. In my opinion the best time to apply is when you are sure you can get a visa.

I flew out within the first year (2014) to activate it and returned to the UK straight away. I'm still in the UK but plan to make the move end of 2017, within the 5 year travel permit. I'll probably need a RRV or two by the time I get a passport but I will have significant ties by then and I'm set on making a permanent move so for me it's not a problem.

So 6-8 weeks to get the visa but depending on your circumstances it may or may not be the right thing to do to wait to apply until 2021. Why?

Rules change. I've seen them change many times over the years since I entertained the idea of emigrating. They usually change in July and every 1-2-3 years. The CSOL and SOL changes, expiry dates of skills assesments change, requirements change etc. etc. So that visa that you had in the bag in 2014 may not be in the bag in 2020.

I can tell you now if I applied for the same visa I was granted in 2014 today, I would not get it. Because the rules have changed.

If you are in a situation where a change in the rules could affect whether you are granted a visa or not, don't wait. The best time to apply is when you are sure you can get a visa.

So say you were granted today, you have to fly out to activate in the first year then have 5 years from date of grant until the travel permit expires. ie. you have to be in Australia before that expires and if you leave you need a RRV to re-enter. If you are out of Australia after it expires and do not have an RRV you lose your PR visa.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

spence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nice

My 175 took almost 3 years to be granted. Applied in 2009 then my job was moved to the back of the queue for priority processing. I almost gave up on it then I got bumped up at the end of 2011 so got asked to do my medicals then visa granted start of 2012