Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tiling-what do i need to apply for once there...

tiling-what do i need to apply for once there...

Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough
Question tiling-what do i need to apply for once there...

Hi,

A question on behalf on hubby- He is worried about not being able to find work for months, are there things he needs to apply for before he could start to work over there? or can he just find the work and be off?? He has been tiling for 20yrs and also has the nvq which is mandatory now to bebable to work on housing sites.
The tilers over there- do u work for yourselves, does someone find the work for you and then u go and do it?
Work is pretty good here at the mo and he is worried that things in Oz would not be as plentiful and rewarding.
Hope that makes sense, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Claire
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: tiling-what do i need to apply for once there...

Originally Posted by flump
Hi,

A question on behalf on hubby- He is worried about not being able to find work for months, are there things he needs to apply for before he could start to work over there? or can he just find the work and be off?? He has been tiling for 20yrs and also has the nvq which is mandatory now to bebable to work on housing sites.
The tilers over there- do u work for yourselves, does someone find the work for you and then u go and do it?
Work is pretty good here at the mo and he is worried that things in Oz would not be as plentiful and rewarding.

Thanks
Claire
Hi Claire I have p mailed you.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:41 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tiling-what do i need to apply for once there...

Where exactly are you heading for state wise & what sort of tiler [roof or ceramic] is your hubbie?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Have pm'd you.

Hi,

Thanks
Claire
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cresta57
Where exactly are you heading for state wise & what sort of tiler [roof or ceramic] is your hubbie?
Hi

He is a ceramic tiler, not dead set on a particular place as yet, we have been looking around brisbane ish area. How do u choose where to live tho!!? We haven't yet visited Oz but hope to be doing so in the near future.
Thanks for replying.
Claire
Old Dec 26th 2006, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Hi I hope you dont mind if we bump this. After long delays we are also heading to Brisbane and looking for tiling work. Hubby is rubber stamping his tiling experience in France first, plenty of work here in France but no idea about Oz. Also wants to know if he should bring his tools, whether its easy to find work contracting as your own boss or working for someone else. Cant find much info on wages either and what we have found seems to vary wildly. Happy christmas to you all, hope i dont sound too sad, just the baby is getting first tooth and this is a way to keep sane-ish.
thanks
Ruth
ps that Nigella Lawson choccie christmas cake is something else!!!!

Hi,

Thanks
Claire
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
Hi I hope you dont mind if we bump this. After long delays we are also heading to Brisbane and looking for tiling work. Hubby is rubber stamping his tiling experience in France first, plenty of work here in France but no idea about Oz. Also wants to know if he should bring his tools, whether its easy to find work contracting as your own boss or working for someone else. Cant find much info on wages either and what we have found seems to vary wildly. Happy christmas to you all, hope i dont sound too sad, just the baby is getting first tooth and this is a way to keep sane-ish.
thanks
Ruth
ps that Nigella Lawson choccie christmas cake is something else!!!!
Do a search through Cresta57's threads, as I know he's posted on it a few times - try THIS for starters
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Do a search through Cresta57's threads, as I know he's posted on it a few times - try THIS for starters
hi and thanks.
have already looked thru posts and done searches on tiling. The catch 22 thing confuses me. In France you cant subcontract without your licence but you can work as an employee and there is plenty of that about. In Oz am I right in thinking he would be better going for any type of job while he applies for his licence as no one really employs?
Some posts say we should bring tools and others that we should buy them over there (not refering to voltage differences just cost of replacing etc).
Moneywise if he did manage to get a job as an employee what kind of wage would he expect to be on after tax?
confused ruth