Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Three Weeks Here

Three Weeks Here

Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice
Default Re: Three Weeks Here

Originally Posted by treefrog
Thanks very much to both of you, this is really useful and interesting stuff to those of us who are planning on going to Melbourne.

I wouldn't worry about people who don't like generalisations - you can hardly do a blow-by-blow listing - Melbourne is nicer than Scunthorpe but not as good as Towcester, etc. Anyway, let's face it, not many places can beat the nicer bits of Britain in terms of fantastic scenery and historical architecture, but when you're talking about the weather, the people, the shops and the politics... It depends on what you are talking about. The point is, Melbourne is better for YOU and it's your impressions we're talking about.

(I'd send you some karma but I'm afraid it ran over my dogma.)
Had my first interview over here in Geelong last Monday and I was trying to think of where Geelong reminded my of. Eureka! Cheers Treefrog, it reminds me of Scunthorpe, with apologies to expats settled in Geelong. Melbourne's a bit more like Bristol with trams and skyscrapers.
Went to the Royal Melbourne Show with lots of merchandise, fast food stalls, animals and a ferris wheel, today and we actually got some sun this afternoon (take that Sydney!!). Hoping to see Shrek, but my son chickened out.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Bluebristolian is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Three Weeks Here

Originally Posted by Neil S
Had my first interview over here in Geelong last Monday and I was trying to think of where Geelong reminded my of. Eureka! Cheers Treefrog, it reminds me of Scunthorpe
We went to Geelong the other day, and to think that I'd always assumed Scunthorpe wouldn't be that nice!!! Makes me real sorry that I never visited it while I had the chance :-)

BB
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:26 am
Just Joined

fair_dinkum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Neil S
Had my first interview over here in Geelong last Monday and I was trying to think of where Geelong reminded my of. Eureka! Cheers Treefrog, it reminds me of Scunthorpe, with apologies to expats settled in Geelong. Melbourne's a bit more like Bristol with trams and skyscrapers.
Went to the Royal Melbourne Show with lots of merchandise, fast food stalls, animals and a ferris wheel, today and we actually got some sun this afternoon (take that Sydney!!). Hoping to see Shrek, but my son chickened out.
for god sake Neil... stop complaining about the bloody weather, it was winter only 4 weeks ago, give it time.....sheesh your sounding like a whingeing pom!
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:35 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Neil,
interesting thing you said about the rental properties

"Rental Properties
Not good so far. The missus is keen to get place to rent with a pool in a quiet area and not too far away from the coast. We’ve seen about half a dozen places so far and they range from drab inside to downright dilapidated. Most of the landlords can’t even make the effort to tidy the place before the prospective tenants come round to look. And the real estate agents never seem to do their homework, because you ask questions about the property and they invariably say ‘I don’t know’ and ‘this is the first time I’ve seen it too’. Unbelievable."

One of my coleagues left the UK recently to live in Melbourne, job lined up & all that, but returned after 2 day's. His reason for returning was that the rentals he was offered were rubish and he didn't won't to agree to a 6 or 12 month contract on one. This alomng with a case of the jitters and one daughter wonting to leave, made him return. also hs house in the Uk was unsold and work would give him a job in the UK.

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya Neil,
interesting thing you said about the rental properties

"Rental Properties
Not good so far. The missus is keen to get place to rent with a pool in a quiet area and not too far away from the coast. We’ve seen about half a dozen places so far and they range from drab inside to downright dilapidated. Most of the landlords can’t even make the effort to tidy the place before the prospective tenants come round to look. And the real estate agents never seem to do their homework, because you ask questions about the property and they invariably say ‘I don’t know’ and ‘this is the first time I’ve seen it too’. Unbelievable."

One of my coleagues left the UK recently to live in Melbourne, job lined up & all that, but returned after 2 day's. His reason for returning was that the rentals he was offered were rubish and he didn't won't to agree to a 6 or 12 month contract on one. This alomng with a case of the jitters and one daughter wonting to leave, made him return. also hs house in the Uk was unsold and work would give him a job in the UK.

Bye
Mark
returned after 2 days ?????? first, not all rental property have a 6 or 12 month lease and secondly, you only get what you pay for when it comes to renting ! price and choice of suburb have a lot to do with the type of place you will be offered.

fair_dinkum
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

TWO DAYS! Its insane - how can someone reverse a major decision lik migration after only 2 days. I know we've discussed it before, but it never ceases to amaze me.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
TWO DAYS! Its insane - how can someone reverse a major decision lik migration after only 2 days. I know we've discussed it before, but it never ceases to amaze me.
It never ceases to amaze me either pollyanna ! I cant help but wonder what makes some people decide to migrate .... do they have some sort of fantasy in their heads as to what they think Australia is like and not put serious thought into the fact that they are migrating to another country! I really dont think some people put enough thought into it before packing up their children and moving them to another country
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Originally Posted by fair_dinkum
for god sake Neil... stop complaining about the bloody weather, it was winter only 4 weeks ago, give it time.....sheesh your sounding like a whingeing pom!
I actually don't mind the weather, but I'm getting obsessed about it because of home pressure to move to bloody Sydney because of it. I personally don't wanna move to Sydney, because I actually love Melbourne even after only 3 weeks or so.