Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Redcliffe and Moreton Bay

Thoughts on Redcliffe and Moreton Bay

Old Jan 13th 2004, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default Thoughts on Redcliffe and Moreton Bay

Coming closer to the city, any thought on nice area's in these parts anyone happy living here ?

As Much info as poss please xx
Old Jan 13th 2004, 3:51 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Redcliffe and Moreton Bay

Originally posted by Carrianne
Coming closer to the city, any thought on nice area's in these parts anyone happy living here ?

Moreton bay is Beautiful, try this official link

http://www.mbcc.com.au/

my mate stayed in Mooloolahbah < i think thats how ya spell it and said What a place !!

Old Jan 13th 2004, 5:44 pm
earlswood

Carianne,

The Foggies have just settled in Redcliffe and we have been looking at this area too. Everything we have seen on the web so far has confirmed what a lovely place it looks within 20kms of Brizzie

Best of both worlds if you ask me

Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Carrie,

I think Ceri is the girl for this question. Shes not on here much lately but I bet a search on redcliffe (she calls it deadcliffe so try that too ) will bring up heaps of info. Redcliffe is quite expensive now tho, Deception bay is another area down there tho which is cheaper. They are not really surf beaches more like sand flats.

Some of these areas, Bribie Island for example have a much older population, Bribie has the highest concentration of elderly people in OZ. So watch out for that retirement feel in areas down there.

Distances, it sounds close but I still think it would be 45 mins + to the City in the rush hour traffic.

I have a feeling you would get some cheap rentals there tho could be a great starter area till you sort out whats for you.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Ceri you out there girl.

Ceri.......
Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:15 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dotty
Ceri you out there girl.

Ceri.......
I haven't a good word to say about deadcliffe, so I'm keeping my mouth closed (for once) . Ive written plenty in the past about it (may find them if you do a search.)
Us trolls have feeling you know..

sorry they wouldn't my honest opinion - I couldn't stand the place, lived there for around two years until recently.

Cheers
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Ceri,

What's better about where you live now?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hiya,

Thanks dotty, mmm we want surf beaches not flats, this is getting to be a pain now. I have a list of areas from a previous thread that all had good reviews so i shall spend the avvo looking into these.

Thanks

Carrianne
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:19 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hiya,

Thanks dotty, mmm we want surf beaches not flats, this is getting to be a pain now. I have a list of areas from a previous thread that all had good reviews so i shall spend the avvo looking into these.

Thanks

Carrianne
Carrianne, there are no surf beaches in Brisbane . The "beaches" in Brisbane (Moreton bay) are too protected by the islands You can not surf in Redcliffe, Sandgate, Manly (Wynnum) There is no surf and all are pretty shallow close in - they are ok for wind surfing and that's about it

. For real "proper" surf beaches you have two choices - Sunshine Coast area, or Gold Coast area. Both I can not advise you on , where to live etc.. personally if it was me and if I didn't mind the commuting distance to work, I'd go sunshine coast way - Gold coast in my opinion is ugly, too many high rises etc, too much being built up - where sunshine coast seems to 'design around the environment" - you'll have to ask dotty for areas for the SC.

If you need to be in the Brisbane area and the SC and GC are too far for you to commute, try Bribie island, that is the closest to a real beach(s) we have in Brisbane. I'm not so sure about it being a retirement area, as it has changed over the past few years. There is a lot of development, new luxury homes etc over there. Personally I think Bribie is oK - except for the new estates next to the water - stopping people access the water ( can't remember the name of the estate) , it's pretty much contained, shops, clubs , banks etc. I couldn't tell you what it is like to live there, as I have said in the past it's one thing visiting the place and another living there - I personally feel you don't really get to know place until you live there. For Bribie perhaps you should PM Florida - I'm sure he said he once lived on the island. .

To migrantoz - it's called nature and space. I don't know where to start on that one. personally I found Redcliffe to packed in, too much a chip shop and cafe society ( same goes for a lot of these bay communities) and they are not what I call real beaches . It may suit some, me no - I'm used to real beaches and beauty.
I'm still finding my feet in this new area - guess what - I'm going to my first council meeting in a few weeks - bl**dy developers want to chop down some bush near me (not 'My" bush .. but in my area) for one of these new proposed built up estates... the area where they want to chop houses Koala's - right if you don't hear from me next month, it means that I have been arrested and I am banged up somewhere... bl**dy developers - Aus environmental? - I don't think so some how.

Anyway, If I were both of you , when you get here, rent first. Have a look at the areas for yourself, what suits others may not suit you and vice versa (you really do need to look at the areas for yourself) - do not rush in and buy the first place you see. Around two years ago we were going to buy in Redcliffe, actually hubby wanted to buy - I said no, rent in the area first and see if we like the place - glad we did, I would have been gutted if we had forked out for a home there, it took us about a year to think "beam me up scotty" (mind you we wouldn't have lost anything as houses have doubled in the past two years)
cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 15th 2004 at 1:22 am.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ceri,

Thanks for your comments, The sunny it is for me as I would like to live in the lush countryside as we do at the moment and want good surf, so the Sunny seems the best place I know Andy commutes every day from Caloundra and maybe we could go together in a car share if I cannot get a job on the Sunshine Coast. Or come in land a bit.

Totally agree, we are not buying at all for a couple of years or maybe build our own but no real plans apart from renting for the first six months. But will definalty discuss and tour first before we rent.

Carrianne
Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:13 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Ceri

I remember reading not that long along that you really didn't like living in Oz. Now that you have your new house built and are in a different area (? not sure about that ?) do you like it a bit better? What area do you live in now? (if you don't mind me asking - I'm just being a nosey parker)

Vee
Old Jan 16th 2004, 3:35 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by Vee
Ceri

I remember reading not that long along that you really didn't like living in Oz. Now that you have your new house built and are in a different area (? not sure about that ?) do you like it a bit better? What area do you live in now? (if you don't mind me asking - I'm just being a nosey parker)

Vee
yes you're a bit of a nosey parker aren't you(I'm just joking! ) .

My personal views on Aus have not changed. Do I like it a bit better? not really. I like where we have bought, but a house and wonderful plot of land is not enough to make me want to stay. It will never be my home.

Where am I'm living? My house is in the pine shire council area /region (as it says under my username) surrounded by eucalypts (not pine )and wildlife (just like bambi ...I tells you .. or in my case Blinkety Bill) I'm not prepared to say where... I don't give out too much personal info on these boards (there are some weirdoes )

Cheers
Old Jan 16th 2004, 9:12 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not prepared to say where... I don't give out too much personal info on these boards (there are some weirdoes )
Fair enough.

Sorry to hear that you don't like it any better. It can't be very nice living somewhere that you don't like. I'm living in London and even though I only have less than 3 weeks to go I can't wait to get out. Have felt like this for over a year now and it's hard to get motivated to do anything when you live somewhere you don't like.

I hope you settle in soon and find something that you like so you can start enjoying it. Or rather, hope you can sell up soon and go back home as that's probably what you would rather happen!

And yeah, I am nosey - only way you get to find out anything interesting!!

V