Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To moderate or not to moderate

To moderate or not to moderate

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:09 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To moderate or not to moderate

I have to say that I am disappointed in the Moderator(s) who have not seen fit to deal with the amount of swearing on this forum yesterday, partcular offender Asciidental), I have openly criticised both asciidental and fuzzyness for their abundant use of foul language.

It was the swearing and the aggressive tones of both of their posts that made me wonder if they were one and trhe same (and maybe in some way they are!!

I am aware that last week the moderator gave out warnings about the use of bad language but it seems to have gone by unnoticed/not corrected, over the past 24 hours.

I did report the swearing in particular the attack on NickyC.

Does anyone think that swearing and the use of abusive language should be tolerated on this forum?

amendment:

My humble apologies to the moderator, I have just re-read the thread and found this note on the bottom of the post I reported

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note from moderator to asciidental: You may well find yourself banned if you continue swearing in these forums.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Jirrupin; Jan 15th 2004 at 11:11 am.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:13 am
WBB

Default Re: To moderate or not to moderate

Originally posted by Jirrupin
I have to say that I am disappointed in the Moderator(s) who have not seen fit to deal with the amount of swearing on this forum yesterday, partcular offender Asciidental), I have openly criticised both asciidental and fuzzyness for their abundant use of foul language.

It was the swearing and the aggressive tones of both of their posts that made me wonder if they were one and trhe same (and maybe in some way they are!!

I am aware that last week the moderator gave out warnings about the use of bad language but it seems to have gone by unnoticed/not corrected, over the past 24 hours.

I did report the swearing in particular the attack on NickyC.

Does anyone think that swearing and the use of abusive language should be tolerated on this forum?
in the right context certain words are OK with me but after reading the troll post yesterday i know what you mean, it was a bit OTT.

i had the word ******* moderated in another thread, must be a case of not wanting to offend the shamag wearing community

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:15 am
WBB

Default Re: To moderate or not to moderate

Originally posted by welshboybilly
in the right context certain words are OK with me but after reading the troll post yesterday i know what you mean, it was a bit OTT.

i had the word ******* moderated in another thread, must be a case of not wanting to offend the shamag wearing community

so i take it we are not aloud to say rag head then?

rag head

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:16 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

since last weeks outbusts i have toned my language down as it did make me realise that swearing doesnt get your point over any better than actually coming up with decent arguements and opinions. swearing only detracts from that. you may still not like what i believe in but i couldnt give a t*** about that. i dont neccessarily like what you believe in or stand for but at least i can take it for what it is and jsut get on with it rather than wetting myself and getting into a tizzie because someone used a swear word.

i cant vouch for acsiidental though as she is a different person.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:19 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I must say that I swear like a proverbial trooper but I would never post language like that - and acsiidental swears like only an angry 18 year old can - I do think that it should be moderated.

Trouble is that everyone's toleance levels are different - what is swearing and offensive to one isn't to another.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:21 am
WBB

Originally posted by Pollster
I must say that I swear like a proverbial trooper but I would never post language like that - and acsiidental swears like only an angry 18 year old can - I do think that it should be moderated.

Trouble is that everyone's toleance levels are different - what is swearing and offensive to one isn't to another.
i'll second that.

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:23 am
What's he asking?

what is swearing and offensive to one isn't to another.
so its down to whoever runs the boards to decide what level of swearing is ok, is it not? i mean somone must pay for this site and its not us is it.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:26 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I spose, Fuzzyness, yeah.

ptlabs has always come over as a fairly reasonable chap though, so I am happy if he is.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:28 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
since last weeks outbusts i have toned my language down as it did make me realise that swearing doesnt get your point over any better than actually coming up with decent arguements and opinions. swearing only detracts from that. you may still not like what i believe in but i couldnt give a t*** about that. i dont neccessarily like what you believe in or stand for but at least i can take it for what it is and jsut get on with it rather than wetting myself and getting into a tizzie because someone used a swear word.

i cant vouch for acsiidental though as she is a different person.
I have no idea what you believe in and I don't think you have much idea about what I believe in. It is wrong to assume that my criticism of swearing and abusive language on this forum is in retaliation to a view that you hold.

It would appear you may have a complex about that? I don't remember getting into a tizzie or wetting myself. Is that your weak attempt to minimise my point of view? Could it be that rather than offering a statement of agreement or disagreement you feel the need to make comments about my personality and reflect my reasoned comments as those coming from weak bladdered dizzy woman.

Perhaps you find me threatening?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
so its down to whoever runs the boards to decide what level of swearing is ok, is it not? i mean somone must pay for this site and its not us is it.
I think that people should just use common sense, and take account of the other people who will read these posts, both young and old.
My 7 year old daughter often wants to sit alongside me as I read and reply, so I am very careful in what I write, but i am able to switch screens if I think she would see something that I don't think she should see.

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:34 am
What's he asking?

Originally posted by Jirrupin

Perhaps you find me threatening?
no. not at all. why would i. you're 12,000 miles away. i dont find you intellectually superior either and even if i did why should that bother me. we're never going to meet.

if you're not getting yourself worked up about swearing why have you started two threads in the last week about people on here who do swear and the relative merits of how much swearing is acceptable. it seems you have more of a complex about it than others. maybe thats where my comment came about getting yourself in a tizzie came from. if you dont like it fair enough, you dont have to read it do you. you always know what the alternative is.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:35 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i'll second that.
I'll third it. No need for excessive swearing. It's not big or clever.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

One thing just to throw in you might not have realised with respect to bad language is that some of us may from time to time access BE on our computer at work. Mine has a very large firewall and I didn't get to see most of the posts you are referring to as I get an 'Access Denied, Reason DDR xx, and a reason' message every time. This in turn means that you may be asked to explain to the administrator of your site why you are accessing inappropriate material.

So tone it down some of you please because your actions have knock-on effects for others. I am also not particularly enamoured with those posters who post links to inappropriate websites for the same reason as above. I now know who they are so I don't bother clicking on any of their links now - which is a pity more for them because on the odd occasion they may have something decent to say or point out.

Oh, and you can always sw**r like this so firewalls don't pick it up!

OzTennis
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

I must have fell asleep at some stage yesterday (dont grass me to the boss) What did I miss that has created such a frenzy...........
What's he asking?

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I think that people should just use common sense, and take account of the other people who will read these posts, both young and old.
My 7 year old daughter often wants to sit alongside me as I read and reply, so I am very careful in what I write, but i am able to switch screens if I think she would see something that I don't think she should see.
that is a fair point ABCD. i suppose my experience of use of other BBs comes from being in a user group of people that are all the same age or all within 10 or 15 years of each other. i guess there is less of the generation thing going on there and reverts back to what pollster said early about what is acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.