Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Quantas

Thoughts on Quantas

Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Quantas

Originally Posted by simongb
I know this thread is about Qantas, but I couldn't help and comment about what people have written about BA. I live in the US and I fly BA every time I go back to the UK. I fly back to Europe twice a year and have flown most US airlines over the years. Let me just say, compared to the US airlines BA is luxury. Travelling on American Airlines or US Airways to the UK is like taking a Greyhound bus or worse. Not much is free and the planes are dirty, the entertainment is awful (US Airways do offer better entertainment on their Airbus aircraft). Believe me guys, it could be worse. You could be stuck on a US aircraft! Happy flying!
I flew with Northwest Airlines (Northworst more like) to the states & they were truely awful. The plane was a crappy old DC-10, the service & food was appalling & it was late. Don't even get me started on Detroit airport.... Delta were better & my wife flew over here on United & she thought they were quite good.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I flew with Northwest Airlines (Northworst more like) to the states & they were truely awful. The plane was a crappy old DC-10, the service & food was appalling & it was late. Don't even get me started on Detroit airport.... Delta were better & my wife flew over here on United & she thought they were quite good.
Sometimes I have had a good experience too, like when a United Airlines flight attendant gave me her meal because they had forgotten to put my veggie meal on the flight. On the whole though, it's basically bad service all round. It makes me laugh when you see a flight attendant coming through the cabin dragging a trash bag reapeating the word 'trash' over and over or when they look like they haven't combed their hair in days. It's just bad. I just flew US Airways yesterday on a domestic flight. The wall covering was coming away and was hanging off! My seat pocket was full of old boarding cards from JUNE and other trash! I think I would take Qantas any day (prefer BA though)!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers everybody for your thoughts Good and bad
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac
Can anyone give me opinions on flying with Quantas. We're flying with them on 1st Sept
I really liked them. And they upgraded us on one flight
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
I know this thread is about Qantas, but I couldn't help and comment about what people have written about BA. I live in the US and I fly BA every time I go back to the UK. I fly back to Europe twice a year and have flown most US airlines over the years. Let me just say, compared to the US airlines BA is luxury. Travelling on American Airlines or US Airways to the UK is like taking a Greyhound bus or worse. Not much is free and the planes are dirty, the entertainment is awful (US Airways do offer better entertainment on their Airbus aircraft). Believe me guys, it could be worse. You could be stuck on a US aircraft! Happy flying!
I agree, I love BA all the more since living in the US and experiencing some of the airlines.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

greentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the rough

Do they charge you for an upgrade?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

I flew Delta once from Calgary (Can) to LA, it was great. I got totally smashed and slept the rest of the journey. Thats what I call first class.

I flew BA to Moscow and the only hitch we had was the two hour queue to get past customs.

Now if you want to know about horror flights, dont get me started on my domestic flight between Moscow and St Petersburg!!!

I thought Qantas were ok and being a vegan, they always had my proper meals etc. The only grumble was the plane from Brisbane to Singapore was a 747 and it was an old banger. Leg room nil. The guy in front of me , bar meals, had his seat extended the whole flight (his choice and right) which gave you the feeling of being a poor sardine in a can.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

btw, Does anyone have any knowledge on the best 'reward' sytems on offer that Qantas, Emirates, Singapore etc use?

I joined Qantas when I done my recce trip in Feb, but have no idea how their 'rewards' deal measures up against the rest.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure your QANTAS flight (theres no U in it!!!) is not operated by BA and you will be fine. Half a dozen UK-Aus return flights, and they are excellent.

If you are thinking of joining Qantas Frequent Flyer, do it with a UK address, then its free.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana

If you are thinking of joining Qantas Frequent Flyer, do it with a UK address, then its free.
or Irish address!!! ;-)
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stephen
btw, Does anyone have any knowledge on the best 'reward' sytems on offer that Qantas, Emirates, Singapore etc use?

I joined Qantas when I done my recce trip in Feb, but have no idea how their 'rewards' deal measures up against the rest.
I joined the Qantas FF programme in England as it is free to do it outside of Oz. However, as much as I stand up for Qantas as an airline (see the other thread) I think their FF programme is crap crap crap. Just try and book an award flight!! :scared:

Here is a tip if you are going to be using Qantas (especially once you are living in OZ), join the American Airline AAdvantage programme. There scheme is far better in terms of earning miles and redeeming them. And as AA is a oneworld carrier, you can earn points flying any oneworld airline (Qantas, BA, Cathay Pacific to name a few). You can then redeem the points earned to book free flights in Oz with Qantas, or perhaps to Asia with Qantas or Cathay Pacific, etc. That is what I have done. In fact you can very quickly achieve elite status with AA which amongst other things gets you lounge access at the airports with any oneworld carrier, check in at the business class desk to avoid queues, etc etc.

Hope this help.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=greentreefrog]Do they charge you for an upgrade?[/QUOTE

Depends on the luck of the draw.... I have a feeling a gold BA FF card had a small hand in fate that day though...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:23 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I just had the offer of free flights to Brisbane with Qantas....using some of my son's Frequent flier points.

I was on the phone for over an hour with the Qantas FF office but, unfortunately, we could not arrange anything suitable that fitted with the FF programme (not that many flights qualify). It was also close to the 'Ashes' which did not help.

My son flies Business class with them several times a year...in fact he is calling in to see us next week on his way to New York

He thinks they are fine but he travels Business class as his company pays. I have only used them for internal flights and they were OK.

Bear in mind that Qantas and BA code share so you could be on either companies' planes.

I eventually got my flights with SIA but had to pay

G
Cathay business class from LHR to HKG was excellent. I've never had such a nice experience on a plane before. The staff refer to you by your surname (as in Mr...or Mrs) and the food and seats were excellent. I've never slept 6 hours in a plane seat before and it was a nice experience. The only down side to the trip was that Cathay class the 8 hour flight to Brisbane as "regional" (my arse is it) and so that leg was in an A330 with the regional business class seats which were to my mind slightly better than premium economy. However, the level of service was exactly the same.

What narked me is that the Cathay rep told me before I bought the seats that both legs used the fully reclining seats and we took a night flight from HKG to BNE for this very reason.