Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those who rent through an agent.

For those who rent through an agent.

Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:39 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile For those who rent through an agent.

Hi all

Is it normal for a RealEstate agent to come and inspect a rented poperty every three months?

In the UK I never heard from the letting agent, not once.

But here they seem to be sending me these "notice to inspect" forms a bit too often. The actual landlord is very nosy, and lives underneath us, which I'm thinking must have something to do with it!

thanks !
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those who rent through an agent.

Where do you live? Depends on your lease - sometimes there is one after 3 months, then another within the 12 months, but usually not every 3 months. Check your lease, and/or your state tenancy agency. You do have the right to quiet enjoyment of your property.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

We have just signed an agreement which states just that! The Landlord or his Agent is entitled to inspect the property every 3 months - but they give you at least 24 hours notice
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver1982
Hi all

Is it normal for a RealEstate agent to come and inspect a rented poperty every three months?

But here they seem to be sending me these "notice to inspect" forms a bit too often. The actual landlord is very nosy, and lives underneath us, which I'm thinking must have something to do with it!

thanks !
Yes its quite normal here.
They have to put a clause in the lease to say that they will notify you when they are coming, and certainly in Qld they must give you 24 hours notice at least, in writing, before entering the property. Works both ways - they can tell if you are wrecking the place, and you get the chance to point out anything that needs fixing. The time between inspections varies from agent to agent - our last one was every 6 months, this one does it every 3 months.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver1982
Hi all

thanks !
Depends on which state you live in................ this is applicable to rental properties here in Perth :

When is the landlord permitted to enter the premises?

Under Section 46 of the Act, the landlord has the right to enter the property after giving notice to the tenant stating why and when they intend to enter the property. The landlord must give the tenant notice BEFORE they enter the property. Entry must be at a reasonable time of day. Notice is not required in case of emergency, or if the tenant consents. The landlord can enter the premises for the following reasons on the following advance notice:

1. For the purpose of inspecting the premises: at least 7 days written notice should be given. This notice should be in writing and specify the date and time at which the inspection will be done. The inspection should be done at a reasonable hour.

2. To carry out or inspect NECESSARY repairs: 72 hours notice should be given. The landlord or tradesperson may only enter at a reasonable hour. This does not include general renovations; only necessary repairs or maintenance.

3. To show prospective tenants through: in the last 21 days of the tenancy; OR to show prospective purchasers through: providing they come at a reasonable hour, after having given reasonable notice and only a reasonable number of times.

4. To inspect the property while collecting rent BUT not more than once every 4 weeks.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:00 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone! At least now I know where we stand. Now I just need to get the landlord off my case. We were told that the laundry underneath the house was "shared" with the landlord.

The real story is that she actually lives in the basement. She has her own entrance, but no house number so I'm sure something is amiss here as the contract makes no mention of it. lol