Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those thinking of moving ... better make it 2.5

For those thinking of moving ... better make it 2.5

Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default For those thinking of moving ... better make it 2.5

The 50 most expensive cities in the world (March 2012 v March 2011). Source: Mercer

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-w...=1339479813872
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of
Default Re: For those thinking of moving ... better make it 2.5

I need someone to explain this to me. The Mercers study is designed for businesses deciding where to locate staff and therefore takes exchange rates into account. But 1. what is the foundation currency and 2. why is this report used year after year to decide where is most 'expensive' if it's not accounting for local currency? Read several stories about this just today and none have managed to explain anything about the premises used.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Its rubbish..
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31
I need someone to explain this to me. The Mercers study is designed for businesses deciding where to locate staff and therefore takes exchange rates into account. But 1. what is the foundation currency and 2. why is this report used year after year to decide where is most 'expensive' if it's not accounting for local currency? Read several stories about this just today and none have managed to explain anything about the premises used.
The media? Explain how they came to a conclusion? You must be delusional abi31!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31
False advertising/reporting.

It is a US business person expat survey. So the benchmark is the US dollar at year dot of the survey. They survey costs in each country (ignoring wages) and then convert those costs at the current US/<Other Country> exchange rate. If the exchange rate changes so does the ranking regardless of actual cost of living.

This simply tells a US executive how far their US dollars will go if they are posted to each country but still earn in US dollars. For a simple US expat survey like this there is no need to take into account other countries wages because they don't care - it is just for US dollar earners and useless as a general cost of living ranking as it ignores local wages and also fluctuates wildly based on US exchange rates.

Some quotes from Mercer's website:

"New York is used as the base city and all cities are compared against it. Currency movements are measured against the US dollar."

"Cities in Australia and New Zealand witnessed some of the biggest jumps, as their currencies strengthened significantly against the US dollar.”

"With a few exceptions, the remaining European cities have all dropped in the rankings, mainly due to a considerable weakening of local currencies, including the euro, against the US dollar."
Old Jun 13th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Thanks Fish - you managed to explain it very clearly in a few short paragraphs - I understand it and can now ignore it!

I know Elice I was expecting far too much from popular media it's a good job Fish isn't a journalist he'd never fit in