Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those starting to pack.........

For those starting to pack.........

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default For those starting to pack.........

..........get your hands on as many of those little bag things that you get in new shoes, handbags and electrical goods...you know, the things that absorb moisture.

The reason I'm telling you this is that Toby, my eldest son, is Chelsea Football Club mad, and has a large collection of framed photos of himself with many of the players. Whilst on the container they seem to have absorbed some moisture and now have quite a bit of discolouring. I know there is nothing I can do about these, but if it helps someone else...........
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:21 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those starting to pack.........

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
..........get your hands on as many of those little bag things that you get in new shoes, handbags and electrical goods...you know, the things that absorb moisture.

The reason I'm telling you this is that Toby, my eldest son, is Chelsea Football Club mad, and has a large collection of framed photos of himself with many of the players. Whilst on the container they seem to have absorbed some moisture and now have quite a bit of discolouring. I know there is nothing I can do about these, but if it helps someone else...........

Firstly can I say, that your eldest has fantastic taste.. and assure him we will be beating the Toon tomorrow..

secondly.. why didnt you tell me this last week? I've got the packers in tomorrow and have none of the silicia gel packs.. more stress...aaahh

to make it worse, they are in during the Chelsea match, so I wont even be able to go to the pub to watch it...

thanks for the advice.. might have to ram raid a shoe shop on the way home
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Good advice, silica gel is the stuff.

(edit) Beaten to it Got some Chelsea programmes meself actually, might take a couple with me.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

mad house is ours.......even got a boxer pup named.........wait for it........Lampard!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:28 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

mad house is ours.......even got a boxer pup named.........wait for it........Lampard!!!!!!!!!
lets hope he doesnt turn into a dribbler like cole... (The puppy that is)
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:14 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sloake
Firstly can I say, that your eldest has fantastic taste.. and assure him we will be beating the Toon tomorrow..

secondly.. why didnt you tell me this last week? I've got the packers in tomorrow and have none of the silicia gel packs.. more stress...aaahh

to make it worse, they are in during the Chelsea match, so I wont even be able to go to the pub to watch it...

thanks for the advice.. might have to ram raid a shoe shop on the way home
can i just add my weight behind this comment

UpTheChels ...
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:18 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

who did you ship with ?

I filled all my boxes up with newspaper and wrapped stuff to seal it but when the boxes where taken by the shipping company they advised us that the chances of damp are very remote
as the boxes go into a sealed wooden container which is then loaded and should not allow any of our goods to get wet !

Just wondering if they where fibbing ?
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:20 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

when I moved to the UK, I sent over 2 boxes of stuff...with a moving company.. the boxes got damp!!!! I don't think containers are totally waterproof if there are big seas... specially if you look at how container ships are stacked high with containers.. and the huge seas they do go through..
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In spite of all my gripes with ***** ********, all my boxes arrived compltely dry, no sign of damp. The only thing that was damp was the last minute excess, which I dropped off at Excess Baggage in Heathrow Airport, the night I flew out. There were books in the bottom of the box, and when I unpacked them 2 weeks later, they were rescuable but had clearly been very soggy! The worrying thing is that this box came by AIR freight...........
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The worrying thing is that this box came by AIR freight...........
Presumably condensation
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 7:22 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

We have a framed black and white photo that we took to Oz and like yours it had really discoloured when it arrived funny thing is though we came back to the UK and it has gone back to how it was before, strange or what, perhaps it was like us and didn't like it over there!!!

Susan