Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those with an interest in Aus vs UK education..

For those with an interest in Aus vs UK education..

Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:21 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For those with an interest in Aus vs UK education..

I'm not convinced by Australia's (WA) education system as yet but I'm certainly not convinced by the UK's either.....

From The Times today

"....Dr Hempsall, 58, told 1,000 pupils and parents at the school’s annual prizegiving: “Frankly I don’t care how many politicians say something to the contrary. Rigour has gone out of the window. Results are massaged so that they appear better than they are.

“Ministers — and the present one is a disaster, imply that standards over time have been maintained, which is absolute nonsense.

“The national curriculum is a disaster. Whilst it has had some slight effect in raising the floor, it is academically and intellectually impoverished, however much teachers flex it.”

Dr Hempsall said that he interviewed 11-year-olds for admission each year who had missed out on important subjects because their teachers had spent so much time preparing them for national curriculum tests in English, mathematics and science.

“It’s commonplace to hear youngsters who are being taught no art, music, geography, history or technology. The damage done to children, especially in the formative years, is incalculable and by the time they go on to secondary schooling, virtually irreparable,” he said. “The stifling of imagination and the spirit of enquiry is oppressive beyond belief. The waste of their potential makes me very, very angry.” He added: “It’s time someone told some simple truth — our educational system is in crisis and there is no confidence in our examination system.” His remarks won support from John White, the President of the National Association of Head Teachers, who said: “When 70 per cent of lesson time is spent on maths and English, there is little effort put into other subjects, creativity or development of that child into a well-rounded individual.

“The Government has taken the joy out of teaching and education and Ruth Kelly shows her inexperience when she insists on hailing A levels as some golden standard.”

Full article at The Times
Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice
Default Re: For those with an interest in Aus vs UK education..

Originally Posted by NKSK
I'm not convinced by Australia's (WA) education system as yet but I'm certainly not convinced by the UK's either.....

From The Times today

"....Dr Hempsall, 58, told 1,000 pupils and parents at the school’s annual prizegiving: “Frankly I don’t care how many politicians say something to the contrary. Rigour has gone out of the window. Results are massaged so that they appear better than they are.
Gosh a real Mr Motivator!! Almost as good as Larry Ellisons fabled "speech" -
here , unfortunately Dr Hempsall actually said what he did.