Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those that have yet to make the move ---

For those that have yet to make the move ---

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those that have yet to make the move ---

Originally Posted by furkew
I assume Australia isnt/wasnt for you.

BTW, I dont live near a beach, and I do still have a mortgage like most expats here, but I have a life, and yes it is pretty laid back.

I don't live near the beach either and I also have a mortgage etc. We are better off financially though OH is doing the same job as in the UK, but for more money and I'm just about building up a really good reputation with employers by doing temporary jobs for a recruitment agency. I'm now on more than I used to be too (I told the agent I wanted a pay rise and got it )

Originally Posted by suebrennan

I just thought if I could help even one potential migrant learn from my mistakes and lack of research then the post would serve its purpose.
Absolutely, people really should research before they get here - I'm constantly suprised how much people leave until they get here That's not a dig at you Sue, just an general observation over the years.

Originally Posted by 4 me
I have been applying for jobs for months now and haven't even had an interview. I had a decent job in the UK, I researched everything to death before coming here and knew that I would have to go for jobs that I wouldn't normally. STILL no job. My OH is a tradesman and got his job through word of mouth. It's tough and more than a little soul destroying at times.
I agree, took me 6 months to get anything at all. Plenty of interviews, but no work. I really was ready to give in.

I hope you have more luck in the New Year
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:37 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I have been applying for jobs for months now and haven't even had an interview. I had a decent job in the UK, I researched everything to death before coming here and knew that I would have to go for jobs that I wouldn't normally. STILL no job. My OH is a tradesman and got his job through word of mouth. It's tough and more than a little soul destroying at times.
Totally agree
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:40 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Just popping back onto BE for a couple of weeks. How are you settling in to life down under?
Hi Worzel

Been here 6 months now and its been a struggle to be honest.We're here for a couple of years regardless and then take it from there....thats all you can do really.

Lee
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:14 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Hi Worzel

Been here 6 months now and its been a struggle to be honest.We're here for a couple of years regardless and then take it from there....thats all you can do really.

Lee
Should have come to Perth mate! What's been the struggle - work,homesickness?
Old Dec 24th 2008, 5:02 am
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by worzel
Should have come to Perth mate! What's been the struggle - work,homesickness?
Work is the main thing..more chance of pooing in the queens handbag then getting a job here

Perth !???!

Lee
Old Dec 25th 2008, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

wheresnick is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a teacher and found it almost impossible to get any sort of information or offers from employers before arriving here (Brisbane) However, within a few days of stepping off the plane was inundated with job offers (contracts initially) and now have a lovely house in a fantastic suburb and a permanent job 5 mins drive away.
We only arrived at the end of July but came with the idea that we were determined to make the move work whatever. If we'd based our decision on information gained in the UK, we'd never have moved here!!
Old Dec 27th 2008, 11:57 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Same situation with us too. My OH was a plumber for 18years and yet employers just didn't want to know, and he started applying for other jobs and still no joy. In the end he got a number from a kiwi guy we met, it seems it's not always what you know nut who.... you need to get out and meet as many people as possible as you will need some of them one way or another....
Old Dec 28th 2008, 12:09 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

As a professional (accountant) I found companies falling over themselves to offer me a job. But my wife does admin / clerical and struggled for months. Employers are reluctant to offer newly arrived poms a job when a large proportion will quit to return to the UK or decide working for a living doesn't fit with their vision of heaven that Australia is supposed to be - I know lots of women who did that. The important thing is to get a job, any job even if it is stacking shelves in Coles to have that on your cv and someone to give you a reference. Then after a while you can start looking for a job that you want rather than need.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:14 am
Just Joined

gogirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I am glad that I am not the only one finding it hard on the job front. I really thought that after over 23 years in administration, I would have no problem finding work in Brisbane - wrong!! I am not even getting an interview which is very frustrating as I take time and pride over each application. I am hoping though that the New Year brings me more luck, and hope the same for all of you out there in the same boat.

Just one more gripe. What do recruitment agencies actually do? Anyone?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gogirl
Occasionally they take you out to lunch - to 'Thank You' and get to 'meet you' as a very pretty girl told me.

They can be crap - but at the end of the day, it might well be harder to get a job in some industries *without* them.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Chorley Lancashire is just really niceChorley Lancashire is just really niceChorley Lancashire is just really niceChorley Lancashire is just really niceChorley Lancashire is just really niceChorley Lancashire is just really niceChorley Lancashire is just really niceChorley Lancashire is just really nice

Originally Posted by gogirl
I am glad that I am not the only one finding it hard on the job front. I really thought that after over 23 years in administration, I would have no problem finding work in Brisbane - wrong!! I am not even getting an interview which is very frustrating as I take time and pride over each application. I am hoping though that the New Year brings me more luck, and hope the same for all of you out there in the same boat.

Hi a tip that seems to have worked for my wife is dont put your age on your cv and only put whats realvant on your cv dont make it over complicated you can get involved at the interview.

Australians are lazy most will only pick up the first 3 applicants cv and if there too thick to many pages its means its to much trouble to read so u dont get a interview.

An also u will find the same jobs advertised keep putting your cv in as they do not keep any on file.

I have 29 years experience as a commecial vehicle bodybuilder and went for a job were i was interveiwed by a 20 year old girl lol lol lol when i asked how much the pay was she replied $15 per hour she wasnt impressed when i told her what she could do with that i was expecting $40.

The pay scales are poor here on the Gold coast but if you move towards Brisbane the pay gets better.

My wifes got 25 years catering experince c&g coming out of her ears and she was "lucky" to land a job as a manager at Sizzler $19.50 a hr lol lol lol what a joke but thats how much it pays