Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those that have yet to make the move ---

For those that have yet to make the move ---

Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default For those that have yet to make the move ---

May I offer one piece of advice. I should state that we are all great at giving advice and totally crap at taking it but here goes.

You can do as much homework as you like on locations, property and so on but for those that don't have a job to slot into that may prove to be the straw that breaks the camel's back so to speak.

If you are a nurse, engineer or in IT then you should be fine but if you have a more unusual background then you may be in for a shock - both careerwise and financially. All I am saying is please do your homework on the type of opportunities available to you BEFORE you get on that plane.

Good luck!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:44 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those that have yet to make the move ---

Originally Posted by suebrennan
May I offer one piece of advice. I should state that we are all great at giving advice and totally crap at taking it but here goes.

You can do as much homework as you like on locations, property and so on but for those that don't have a job to slot into that may prove to be the straw that breaks the camel's back so to speak.

If you are a nurse, engineer or in IT then you should be fine but if you have a more unusual background then you may be in for a shock - both careerwise and financially. All I am saying is please do your homework on the type of opportunities available to you BEFORE you get on that plane.

Good luck!

It depends on how blinkered you are before moving down under.

I knew that I would have to accept a massive pay cut by moving here. That wasnt my reason for emigrating.

I do/did however see the massive potential for migrants wanting to start up for themselves when settled.

As I am typing this, I am sat outside on my deck overlooking fantastic views, listening to the cockatoos, rosellas & frogs in the local pond. Thats one of the reasons I moved. To get away from the non stop lifestyle in the UK & Europe, and get a life back.

I feel that I have succeded so far. What job do I have ? I sell flowers. Not exactly IT or a doctor.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:44 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew

I knew that I would have to accept a massive pay cut by moving here. That wasnt my reason for emigrating.

I do/did however see the massive potential for migrants wanting to start up for themselves when settled.

As I am typing this, I am sat outside on my deck overlooking fantastic views, listening to the cockatoos, rosellas & frogs in the local pond. Thats one of the reasons I moved. To get away from the non stop lifestyle in the UK & Europe, and get a life back.

I feel that I have succeded so far. What job do I have ? I sell flowers. Not exactly IT or a doctor.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:53 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. You'll find that many people assume that they can slot into the same occupation immediately after getting off the aircraft, and refuse to take anything else if they can't, or when they are told that they have no Australian experience blame employers, then spit the dummy and go back to the UK.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I think you should also be prepared to take any job,, or something you would never consider bk in the UK, to bring in the dollars.

Just be prepared that the job you may have here in the UK to what you would like in OZ may never happen!

Bluekipper
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:56 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Just popping back onto BE for a couple of weeks. How are you settling in to life down under?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Bod864 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bluekipper
I think you should also be prepared to take any job,, or something you would never consider bk in the UK, to bring in the dollars.

Just be prepared that the job you may have here in the UK to what you would like in OZ may never happen!

Bluekipper
Have to agree. I work in IT in the UK, not sure how long I want to carry on doing this for when I get to Aus, that's the whole idea of the move. However when we arrive, my wife and I have agreed whoever gets any job offer will take it, the other has the kids until we get ourselves sorted.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bod864
Have to agree. I work in IT in the UK, not sure how long I want to carry on doing this for when I get to Aus, that's the whole idea of the move. However when we arrive, my wife and I have agreed whoever gets any job offer will take it, the other has the kids until we get ourselves sorted.
Thats what we did,,also once your in work, atleast you have something Australian to put on your CV!

Not very easy in some parts of OZ to get anything let alone the job you have done for many years & are qualified in!!!

Bluekipper
Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

but...but...what about the sun? the beaches? the laid back mortgage-free lifestyle?
uproot, take a massive pay cut and listen to the frogs? ahh the joys of australia.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:40 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastere
but...but...what about the sun? the beaches? the laid back mortgage-free lifestyle?
uproot, take a massive pay cut and listen to the frogs? ahh the joys of australia.
I assume Australia isnt/wasnt for you.

BTW, I dont live near a beach, and I do still have a mortgage like most expats here, but I have a life, and yes it is pretty laid back.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Thats what we did,,also once your in work, atleast you have something Australian to put on your CV!

Not very easy in some parts of OZ to get anything let alone the job you have done for many years & are qualified in!!!

Bluekipper
Well that is what I have done over the past 2.5 years - every kind of crap imaginable and I bored and restless - I have even walked out of a couple of jobs rather than end up in jail. And I am still here because I love the weather and the outdoors and the scenery (especially in FNQ) and the space and the lack of pollution but I am very broke and seriously over doing very boring work when I can get it. I have also lived like a backpacker since this time last year (all my crap that I bought when I arrived is rotting in storage in Brisbane) and I have been to Broome, Perth, Sydney and Cairns. So the move has been financially and careerwise a complete disaster but I AM STILL HERE FOR NOW.

I just thought if I could help even one potential migrant learn from my mistakes and lack of research then the post would serve its purpose.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:12 am
Just Joined

4 me has a spectacular aura about4 me has a spectacular aura about4 me has a spectacular aura about

I have been applying for jobs for months now and haven't even had an interview. I had a decent job in the UK, I researched everything to death before coming here and knew that I would have to go for jobs that I wouldn't normally. STILL no job. My OH is a tradesman and got his job through word of mouth. It's tough and more than a little soul destroying at times.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4 me
I have been applying for jobs for months now and haven't even had an interview. I had a decent job in the UK, I researched everything to death before coming here and knew that I would have to go for jobs that I wouldn't normally. STILL no job. My OH is a tradesman and got his job through word of mouth. It's tough and more than a little soul destroying at times.
Sorry to hear about your situation and thank you for making me feel a little bit better.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:36 am
Loving Perth!

mand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to all

I agree that you should do as much research as you can before you leave. Although I have to say that we've now been here for 2 months & I don't think any amount of research actually prepares you fully for the move - especially with the current financial economy

For the 14 months between us deciding to move and actually boarding the plane, we constantly looked on job websites, sent our CVs to agencies and researched areas of Perth. We found loads of reasonably priced rentals & also great jobs with higher wages than we were on in the UK but as soon as we arrived everything had changed.

We actually got our visas based on James's profession (1st class machinist) but he hasn't been able to get any work & has now taken a massive pay cut to become a trainee in a different field

I accepted the 1st job I was offered even though I knew it wasn't for me, I left there after 4 miserable weeks & have luckily managed to get myself a job that I think is perfect for me, starting in the new year.

If you are constantly comparing to your life in the UK then you will never be able to settle. We earn less now but we also spend less entertaining ourselves as we can go to the beach for free, wander around Kings Park, exercise by running around the river & use the free equipment in the park

I don't regret the decision to move at all & don't think we could or would have done anything differently if we had the chance.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:08 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suebrennan
Well that is what I have done over the past 2.5 years - every kind of crap imaginable and I bored and restless - I have even walked out of a couple of jobs rather than end up in jail. And I am still here because I love the weather and the outdoors and the scenery (especially in FNQ) and the space and the lack of pollution but I am very broke and seriously over doing very boring work when I can get it. I have also lived like a backpacker since this time last year (all my crap that I bought when I arrived is rotting in storage in Brisbane) and I have been to Broome, Perth, Sydney and Cairns. So the move has been financially and careerwise a complete disaster but I AM STILL HERE FOR NOW.

I just thought if I could help even one potential migrant learn from my mistakes and lack of research then the post would serve its purpose.
I read your post in what I believe is the spirit that you intended, in that you are trying to do everyone a kindness in reminding people that there are risks and these risks can be lessened by researching re jobs before the move is made, so that at least you can have a realistic idea of what type of jobs are available and salaries that go along with it.

You've clearly had a bad experience, but as you say, you're still here plugging away and fingers crossed something good will come up for you! 2009 may just be your year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.