Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Oz??

Thinking of moving to Oz??

Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

hgardner is on a distinguished road
Red face Thinking of moving to Oz??

Hi everyone,
We are coming over to Oz in March for a 4 week holiday, and we are so excited!!!

My OH and I are debating whether if we like it would we make that jump with our 3 children (12,9 and 6) and the dog to move out. But as usual I have concerns. I have been on so many different threads some are so positive
and it makes me think yes I can do it and others are quite negative being very home sick and coming back to the UK.

On one thread it mentions about bringing dogs and how you should be careful with snakes and other creatures out there and that they can be harmful to a small dog. Does anybody else have any worries like this?

It is such a big decision to leave all your surroundings and go and start somewhere else from scratch - how do you deal with the home sick feeling? I have so many questions but I wont bore people with it......So if anyone would like to chat that would be grate!

Thanks.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:37 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Oz??

Originally Posted by hgardner
Hi everyone,
We are coming over to Oz in March for a 4 week holiday, and we are so excited!!!

My OH and I are debating whether if we like it would we make that jump with our 3 children (12,9 and 6) and the dog to move out. But as usual I have concerns. I have been on so many different threads some are so positive
and it makes me think yes I can do it and others are quite negative being very home sick and coming back to the UK.

On one thread it mentions about bringing dogs and how you should be careful with snakes and other creatures out there and that they can be harmful to a small dog. Does anybody else have any worries like this?

It is such a big decision to leave all your surroundings and go and start somewhere else from scratch - how do you deal with the home sick feeling? I have so many questions but I wont bore people with it......So if anyone would like to chat that would be grate!

Thanks.
The biggest danger facing dogs is being hit by cars, snake bites are rare particularly if your living in a city or suburban area.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
The biggest danger facing dogs is being hit by cars, snake bites are rare particularly if your living in a city or suburban area.
Thats a relief to know! Do you see many of the snakes in the city or redback spiders? Not that I'm scared or anything!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:44 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

...On one thread it mentions about bringing dogs and how you should be careful with snakes and other creatures out there and that they can be harmful to a small dog. Does anybody else have any worries like this?
There's a few other threads about dogs that are worth reading as well, have a search on the forum... There's bundles of dogs out here and he'll stand a much better chance of being hit by a car than having a problem with snakes...! If you're coming over to the East Coast then a much bigger worry is the paralysis ticks but these are well coped with by Frontline Plus and/or tick collars...

Again have a good read, there's bundles of good stuff on here for those in the initial stages... Good luck with it all...
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
Hi there I suppose if you are going out for a 4 week holiday you will at least get a feel for the place. Once you return, you will probably be in a better position at to wether or not to start the application process. I think that it is a personal thing and no amount of reading can sway your decision, only offer advise, good or bad. I suppose it all depends on what you and your family want out of life and if you go for the right reasons, and with a positive attitude then there is no reason why you can not make it work. On the other hand you can always come back and at least you will know that you have given it your best shot, not saying in years come if only we had ............
I can not answer the question about your dog as we do not have any pets, but through reading on this site I know a lot of people have taken their animals and I am sure they will have had some reservations.
You are right about it being a BIG decision, it will probably be one of the biggest ones that you make. As for the homesickness, I can not comment yet as we are not at that point, but I am sure that very soon we will be and both my OH and I have said that we will deal with it one day at a time. I would be lying if we said that we wasn't scared but we are doing what we feel is right for us as a family. You are not on your own, just one of the many. All the very best with whatever you decide and enjoy your holiday.
P.S where are you going?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

ware01uk will become famous soon enoughware01uk will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
Hi HGardner

We too are in a similar position in that we are thinking about taking the plunge to Oz. I have 2 black labs and have done extensive research on this site and have come to the conclusion that i would/will definately be taking them with us - there are a big part of our family and therefore no way i could leave them behind. If you keep up there meds and innoculations they should be fine - i am more worried about there not being alot of places to let them off of the lead. Good luck for the future....
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Hi there I suppose if you are going out for a 4 week holiday you will at least get a feel for the place. Once you return, you will probably be in a better position at to wether or not to start the application process. I think that it is a personal thing and no amount of reading can sway your decision, only offer advise, good or bad. I suppose it all depends on what you and your family want out of life and if you go for the right reasons, and with a positive attitude then there is no reason why you can not make it work. On the other hand you can always come back and at least you will know that you have given it your best shot, not saying in years come if only we had ............
I can not answer the question about your dog as we do not have any pets, but through reading on this site I know a lot of people have taken their animals and I am sure they will have had some reservations.
You are right about it being a BIG decision, it will probably be one of the biggest ones that you make. As for the homesickness, I can not comment yet as we are not at that point, but I am sure that very soon we will be and both my OH and I have said that we will deal with it one day at a time. I would be lying if we said that we wasn't scared but we are doing what we feel is right for us as a family. You are not on your own, just one of the many. All the very best with whatever you decide and enjoy your holiday.
P.S where are you going?
We are flying to Brisbane (surfers Paradise), then onto Hamilton Island, from there to Adelaide (I have family there) and then onto Sydney - we are so looking forward to it. I think you are correct it is us as a family that need to make the decision what a exciting and scary one!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ware01uk
Hi HGardner

We too are in a similar position in that we are thinking about taking the plunge to Oz. I have 2 black labs and have done extensive research on this site and have come to the conclusion that i would/will definately be taking them with us - there are a big part of our family and therefore no way i could leave them behind. If you keep up there meds and innoculations they should be fine - i am more worried about there not being alot of places to let them off of the lead. Good luck for the future....
I to have heard that there is not many places to let the dog off the lead which is quite a worry as my dog is let off every moment that I can. Surely there must be parks etc....
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

We are flying to Brisbane (surfers Paradise), then onto Hamilton Island, from there to Adelaide (I have family there) and then onto Sydney - we are so looking forward to it. I think you are correct it is us as a family that need to make the decision what a exciting and scary one!!!!
What an exciting adventure, enjoy every minute of it and then on your return you can make the scary one!!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of

What an exciting adventure, enjoy every minute of it and then on your return you can make the scary one!!!!!
Went for 4 weeks last April - decided xmas that we are going to go - not easy but just gotta give it a go - would hate to say "I wish I had" in 20yrs time!
Niz.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nizcac
Went for 4 weeks last April - decided xmas that we are going to go - not easy but just gotta give it a go - would hate to say "I wish I had" in 20yrs time!
Niz.
absolutely that is what my OH keeps saying to me - but I feel so nervous about the decision - if only I could see into the future!!!??? (I think we would all benefit from that!). Do you have kids? and where are you heading to in Oz?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

When do you go to Oz? I bet you are looking forward to it?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome,

Hamilton Island is absolutely fab. My hubby and I went there 2 years ago - not a family place more of a romantic couples place - but it is so beautiful.

Sarah
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:05 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I to have heard that there is not many places to let the dog off the lead which is quite a worry as my dog is let off every moment that I can. Surely there must be parks etc....
Yes there are off leash areas. We have a local one and take our dog down there at about 4.30 every day. There he gets to run riot with about 10 other dogs and gets truely knackered. There is also Wellington Pt Beach we can walk off leash but off leash beaches are rare.

You will have to keep your dog on leash practically everywhere else or risk a fine, which is enforced. That and people aren't accepting of dogs being off lead as they are in the UK.

As to the whole worried about the wildlife thing, this is rapidly turning into a BE urban legend and unfounded. Sure there are nasty things that can bite here but really its not a concern for dogs other than ticks which are prevented by regular treatments.

There are many more people who have shipped thier dog and never had a problem than have not shipped dogs I'll think you'll find. They soon adapt to the sun and if anything my Doberman has found a new hobby of snoozing in the midday heat

Honestly, you shouldnt have a concern about bringing your dog.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Centurion
Yes there are off leash areas. We have a local one and take our dog down there at about 4.30 every day. There he gets to run riot with about 10 other dogs and gets truely knackered. There is also Wellington Pt Beach we can walk off leash but off leash beaches are rare.

You will have to keep your dog on leash practically everywhere else or risk a fine, which is enforced. That and people aren't accepting of dogs being off lead as they are in the UK.

As to the whole worried about the wildlife thing, this is rapidly turning into a BE urban legend and unfounded. Sure there are nasty things that can bite here but really its not a concern for dogs other than ticks which are prevented by regular treatments.

There are many more people who have shipped thier dog and never had a problem than have not shipped dogs I'll think you'll find. They soon adapt to the sun and if anything my Doberman has found a new hobby of snoozing in the midday heat

Honestly, you shouldnt have a concern about bringing your dog.
Thanks alot - I don't mean to sound "stupid" about making an issue over the dog - but one thread I read was very negative about bringing dogs. So it kinda makes you think!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.