Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving over, advice needed please

Thinking of moving over, advice needed please

Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

fatpantsss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving over, advice needed please

hi i am newly married 10 months ago and living in kent, uk.
nothing has really gone our way financially in uk and we are just getting by in life, carpentry work here is terrible and im just window cleaning as its more reliable then site work.

we don't have much savings either but was thinking of coming over on a holiday working visa then applying for a permanent visa when i got some money from working in aus,

what i want to no. is it good life in aus for familys? no children yet.
is their still a lot of work in aus for carpenters? unlike uk. and does it pay well?
what is cost of living compared to uk?

i am really considering a move soon and appreciate any info and useful knowledge.
many thanks
craig
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving over, advice needed please

Have moved your post into a new thread as the information you're after isn't really relevant to the one you posted on.

Cost of living is generally considered to be higher here than the UK - obviously depends on earnings and where and how you live though. Carpenters don't earn a huge amount and depending on where you think you'd settle may or may not have much work about. There are a fair few tradies constantly unemployed around here at the moment.

I think your best bet would be to do the year WHV and travel around. See how you get on, if you think you could live here (assume you've not been, you may hate the place) and then see if there's any visa that you would be able to apply for.

Do an Advanced Search on here (pink toobar at the top) for info. We've had stacks of threads recently about Cost of Living and all the other things you're thinking about and they should help (or confuse further).

Good luck.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:34 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

You should be aware that to apply for skilled migration (permanent residency) you need recent skilled work experience, so coming over for a Working Holiday can stuff that up if you are unable to get work in your profession over here.

You need to go to www.immi.gov.au and do the visa wizard to see your options and then read the associated booklet very carefully.

If you have questions after you've done that then re-post them here.

Good luck.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Good qualified chippies could get $35 an hour, but there are a lot of tradies around compared to the amount of work.

The companies we deal with have projects in qld and victoria and both have a lot of applicants for any job that comes up. Nowhere near the amount of construcion going on in OZ compared to pre 2007.

What the heck are chippies earning in the UK now, I read rather a low figure on one thread for brickies

MP said WHV, try before you buy - good advice.