Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Handymen Of The Forum, How Should I Fix These Damages? (pictures)

Handymen Of The Forum, How Should I Fix These Damages? (pictures)

Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Question Handymen Of The Forum, How Should I Fix These Damages? (pictures)

Hi!

I am about to vacate the property I rented for the last 9 months. There are two damages I would like to fix before I vacate the property so I am not blamed for the damage cost.

Would you please guide me how to fix these?

1- As you can see in the picture, there is scissor mark on the basin bench. The basin benchtop is made of ceramic.

2- A rather big chip on the door

Thank you!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:02 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Handymen Of The Forum, How Should I Fix These Damages? (pictures)

I'm not a handyman but can give you a few ideas.

I'd glue the chip back on and then stipple any exposed mdf with paint. Have you got any leftovers in the house? if not get a match pot made up at Bunnings

What caused the scissor mark, water or some chemical like bleach?

You could try sprinkling some bicarb over it and leave it for a few days see if that lifts the stain.

If it's bleach try white vinegar to neutralise it. If the colour's gone though it's gone.

Zap it with a hairdryer if it's water.

If all else fails recreate the same damage to the rest of the stone so it blends in.

The most expensive solution is to call one of those companies that renovate stone bench tops, are you sure it's ceramic?

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Jul 5th 2011 at 1:04 am.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
I'm not a handyman but can give you a few ideas.

I'd glue the chip back on and then stipple any exposed mdf with paint. Have you got any leftovers in the house? if not get a match pot made up at Bunnings

What caused the scissor mark, water or some chemical like bleach?

You could try sprinkling some bicarb over it and leave it for a few days see if that lifts the stain.

If it's bleach try white vinegar to neutralise it. If the colour's gone though it's gone.

Zap it with a hairdryer if it's water.

If all else fails recreate the same damage to the rest of the stone so it blends in.

The most expensive solution is to call one of those companies that renovate stone bench tops, are you sure it's ceramic?
Thank you for your tips. Yes, unfortunately it is ceramic...

I honestly don't know what caused the scissor stain, the scissor were just a few days over the bench and I am sure I didn't use any chemicals on the bench...
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

For the benchtop, I'd try Gumption, an all-purpose white paste, gentle cleaner, comes in a tub. You could try rubbing some on gently with a soft cloth, wipe off, rinse a couple of times, then see how it looks. You could go over the whole benchtop to see if it evens out the tone. You could have a 2nd go with one of those soft scouring cloths/pad - I usually buy these from Coles or similar, Mr Clean brand. Rinse off again.

If that's a laminate surface on the door, I'd talk to Bunnings or other hardware shop and ask for the best type of glue to stick that slice back on. You can get a special paint for laminated cupboards. Good luck.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:50 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BARDI77
Thank you for your tips. Yes, unfortunately it is ceramic...

I honestly don't know what caused the scissor stain, the scissor were just a few days over the bench and I am sure I didn't use any chemicals on the bench...

It must just be water damage then, try the hairdryer on a gentle heat, or a layer of those those crystals that absorb water, covered with a sheet of clingfilm.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
It must just be water damage then, try the hairdryer on a gentle heat, or a layer of those those crystals that absorb water, covered with a sheet of clingfilm.
Thank you, I'll keep you updated