Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of coming to Oz??

Thinking of coming to Oz??

Old Jul 20th 2006, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Tumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking of coming to Oz??

Originally Posted by Dizzykaren
Elsha... what do you think of the clothes and food in the UK compared to Oz?. On the clothes front there seems to be a competion here as to who can sell the poorest quality clothes... its all Bi-Lo, Best and Less, Payless... every shop seems to be at the bottom end of the market.
Mandy Skeggs is alive and well
Old Jul 20th 2006, 3:45 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you like living with rednecks then Deliveranceland (aka Queensland) is the place for you.

Perth is far more civilised.
Perth! Center of the civilised world, famous for its art, history and culture.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
It is interesting to note how many people on this forum say how bad service is in Australia.

Now, everything is relative. If things were really that bad in the UK, then why would migrants in Australia make a point of saying how bad things were in Australia?

Surely if service is bad in the UK, then Australia would be an improvement.......so why complain?
I'd love to agree there, but I feel its all perception and unfamiliarity. Some of us are resourceful and have spent much of our professional lives dealing with change, turmoil and flexibility, believe me

a) I think there are sectors which can be improved - there are known sectors which are poor in both countries.
b) It's not all bad- (I've received great service - recently from my bank. Very pleased with that)
c) There's no doubt that some people seem to get in to the wrong mindset from the start and it colours everything from that point onwards. I can't otherwise explain why half of us do OK and cope and the other half fall to pieces - and its nothing to do with education or intelligence or standards - I know Phd professionals who love it here etc.

In fits of empathy, I sometimes try to think back to my first few weeks doing the admin, and 'setting up' in various sectors - and remember thinking - 'wow' - 'won't have any problems with that then - I like doing business in this country' over just about everything.

Often the first I hear of bad service is when I read it on this forum - I then warn all friends and sundry and they laugh at me when 'I' am proved wrong. Don't shoot the messenger and all that.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Jul 20th 2006 at 4:28 am.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Thinking of coming to Oz??

Well the best advice I can give is.... don't.
Wow, that is a sweeping piece of advice! I would offer the exact opposite, however!

If you have anything approaching a comfortable life in the UK then stay there.
My life in the UK was very comfortable, but I would have regretted it if I hadn't moved to Australia. I wouldn't want that regret.

We have been in Oz for 4 months and its been nothing but pain.
I'm really sorry to hear that, Dizzykaren. Have you just been in the one town / state? I hope that the next four months are less painful for you and more enjoyable.

The staggering levels of red tape are matched only by the complete incompetence of every organization you will have to deal with.....
I have found that most staff are helpful and competent. I have struggled a couple of times, particularly with banks, with red-tape, but I hated banks in the UK, so there's no change there!

we have had DIMIA lose one of four, emailed x-rays, we had the bank screw up our mortgage application, twice.
That is unfortunate. But these are just teething problems. I don't think that they're a true indication of life in Australia.

You will be constantly asked to provide information that you couldn't possibly have as you have only just arrived in the country. If you don't have an Oz driving licence you may as well not exist. Phone, gas and electric companys have ALL screwed up or failed to show up. Telstra told us they don't work weekends.
I imagine that there's an Australian writing a similar post on migrating to Britain on a parallel forum. Immigration is never going to be as easy as moving house within the same country (and what a pain that can be!). But once you have got over the move, then you can make yourself at home. One of the things that I found really frustrating when I got to Melbourne was how laid-back mechanics, banks, plumbers, (real) estate agents, etc. were about things that were very urgent as far as I was concerned. Now that I'm settled and blending in with the locals, one thing I really love about Melbourne is how laid-back everyone is.

Stoke up the barbie, open a cold tinny, relax and enjoy the open air!

Mental note to self: Must get a .au driving license!

Last edited by Johnsyweb; Jul 20th 2006 at 4:48 am. Reason: Added Mental Note
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a thought. I used to jump out of aircraft at 800ft with half my body weight strapped to me - and trying to concentrate on the .5 second delay between the exiters on both side of the aircraft....used to make me nervous I admit. And no its not like in the movies where you pull a cord and float nicely down. Or sitting on a skid of a helicopter flying low level at 100 feet above the deck with a machine gun tripod - it wouldn't fit in the helicopter - but we had to get out. I was not thinking of customer service then or worrying about getting a TFN no then, or standing in a post office queue. Or maybe appraching a car on fire and thinking hmmm..wonder if it will explode? Or going into a house on fire - and feeling a tad apprehensive - and that's just in training...

My wife tells me that since she's met me, shes really learnt to keep things in perspective and stresses alot less now. She's a bit stressed, I tell her a couple of things, I get a big hug and a "Wow! Why didn't I think of that!".

Look at what is going on in the Middle East and in Africa or South America. We have piss easy lives. Come on!

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Jul 20th 2006 at 4:42 am.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Perth! Center of the civilised world, famous for its art, history and culture.
Never said it was. It's infinitely more civilised that SE Deliveranceland though.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:44 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

One of the things that get me is that people slate the whole of Australia based upon a single experience in one part of Australia. You have to get over the fact that Australia isn't really one country, but a number of states. Each state does things differently, and each does things better than others, and worse than others. I'm lucky having lived in Victoria, NSW and Queensland, so I have seen the differences, and that's why I settled for Queensland.

But more importantly, I think, is that rural/regional Australia is very different from the capital cities. I think the cities are much more like living in the UK, but the rural areas are completely different. I think Aussies moving froma city to a rural area would suffer just as much culture shock as a Pom. OK, maybe slightly less, but a culture shock all the same.

If you really cannot get used to Kiama (is that the place south of Wollongong in NSW) then maybe try somewhere else. Maybe it is the remoteness of a little town that is the problem, and you need to get closer to a major city. Or change state.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Just had a thought. I used to jump out of aircraft at 800ft with half my body weight strapped to me - and trying to concentrate on the .5 second delay between the exiters on both side of the aircraft....used to make me nervous I admit. And no its not like in the movies where you pull a cord and float nicely down. Or sitting on a skid of a helicopter flying low level at 100 feet above the deck with a machine gun tripod - it wouldn't fit in the helicopter - but we had to get out. I was not thinking of customer service then or worrying about getting a TFN no then, or standing in a post office queue. Or maybe appraching a car on fire and thinking hmmm..wonder if it will explode? Or going into a house on fire - and feeling a tad apprehensive - and that's just in training...

My wife tells me that since she's met me, shes really learnt to keep things in perspective and stresses alot less now. She's a bit stressed, I tell her a couple of things, I get a big hug and a "Wow! Why didn't I think of that!".

Look at what is going on in the Middle East and in Africa or South America. We have piss easy lives. Come on!
It really must be horses for courses.

I had no problems getting everything set up (other than my experience with real estate agents) when I arrived - and my UK licence seemed to suffice for most things along with passport etc etc.

Difficulties only really began when we set up a business.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
It really must be horses for courses.

I had no problems getting everything set up (other than my experience with real estate agents) when I arrived - and my UK licence seemed to suffice for most things along with passport etc etc.

Difficulties only really began when we set up a business.
Indeed! Now we're talking....

Incidentally, I get barriers and problems alot in all walks of life, inexperienced people, people who don't care, don't share, don't know.

I find a bit of negotiating, and a bit of politeness goes along way. Even a joke cracked can lighten a task someone doesn't fancy or can be arsed to do. It even goes by the name of charm. I remember being taught by my mother to basically get something out of nothing.

I am frequently bewildered by some people.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Of course don't forget how things are magnified due to the sheer volume of tasks involved with setting up a new life in a new country. Bank accounts, credit cards, rental agreements, utilities, furniture, job applications, job contracts, medicare, centrelink, doctors, dentists, schools, kinders.... the list goes on. Imagine if you had to sort all that out in the UK (or probably most other countries) all in the first few months of walking off a plane!! These tasks you probably carry out every month or so, or even less often, in the UK - so it's bound to seem hard work and inefficiencies will come to the fore.

I have to say that I don't think I find it any worse than the UK with regard to service. However, generally the staff are more pleasant. I have had to do many things twice and we had a little trouble with Telstra -which was sorted. The worst was trying to organise a mortgage with Westpac - now that's too long a story - but shockingly inefficient and pretty useless (now changing lender!!).

R

Keep with it OP - I just expect to have to do things twice now and I don't really mind.....
Old Jul 20th 2006, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Hear, hear!

Personally I can't wait to have your problems Karen. I'm still looking for the good things about this place - will let you know if I find any :scared:
Old Jul 20th 2006, 7:17 am
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
People who immigrate to countries like Spain, France and Greece have exactly the same problems but much worse because of the different language
and you have to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Believe me - you haven´t had problems with paperwork etc. until you have lived in Tenerife........ As everyone knows it´s the "Mañana Syndrome" which doesn´t mean tomorrow, just not today (in fact in most cases the next week/month if you´re lucky). The language barrier is the worst thing, and no matter how much Spanish you learn it´s never enough. We can´t wait to get to Oz, just to speak English all the time will be heaven !! I think living here has prepared us for any other country really. Oh yes,and we will have to get back into driving on the "right" side of the road again
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly...perspective people, perspective.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
It sounds like the OP is going through a bit of culture shock - learning the ways of a new country can be testing and you can either accept it or reject it. Life out here is different, it isn't the UK and I think its unfair to compare Australia to the UK, or to compare things here to what you are used to from before.

You have to start your life out here with a clean slate and expect things to be "Australian' - comparing things doesn't work. We've all had a lighthearted laugh on the 'foods' thread about foods to avoid etc, which means just that, if you don't like something, don't have it / do it.

Bad service can be found anywhere in the world. Having said that, I do think its ok to have a moan if you're unhappy but then you have to get realistic about things and say, "well I'll either get used to it or I'll go back". Its like it or lump it.

Australia is laid back in most aspects (which most of us love), but theres many people who find it hard to shrug off the 'go,go,go' of the UK. Then theres the people who want the laid back Aussie lifestyle but snappy service too... they want the best of both worlds...you can't always have your cake and eat it...

Good luck to the OP and give it more time and see if you can adapt.
I think ElshaUK wants her cake and eat it (lots and lots of cakes)
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:46 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a few posters on this thread that are clearly disillusioned with Australia or our (and I say that since its my country now) way of life. Please remember though for those people who come here and moan there are equally those of us that have found Australia a great place to live and wouldnt return to the UK if you paid us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.