Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things I have got better at and worse at since I came to Australia

Things I have got better at and worse at since I came to Australia

Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I have got better at and worse at since I came to Australia

Better at
Laying pavers for driveways
Building sheds
Using a brick saw to cut pavers
Installing bullnosing
Laying floor tiles
Bartering with tradies
Asking for a better price on things in shops
Talking to strangers without having a panic attack
Being appreciated at work
Appreciating what I've got instead of always wanting more
Appreciating my children
Being independant
Feeling confident about my decisions
Voicing my opinion

Worse at
Being on time - I'm now 5 minutes late for everything!
Letting irritants slide
Keeping in touch with family
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:06 am
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I didn't see it as 'divisive', just a list of personal better and worse things.

"Australia Is Better Than The UK" - Divisive
"I Appreciate The Outdoors More In Australia" - Personal Opinion

Yes that is great for you but you must respect other peoples views even if you do not like them, my list was my honest opinion.

Last edited by Neil52; Jan 15th 2010 at 3:09 am.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:45 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil52
Yes that is great for you but you must respect other peoples views even if you do not like them, my list was my honest opinion.
Thanks mate, I'll take that advice on-board, do you have a book coming out?

My life really could do with some direction, I'm kind of adrift at sea lacking a moral compass.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:52 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

My life really could do with some direction, I'm kind of adrift at sea lacking a moral compass.
You don't need a book or a moral compass. You need a Queensland road sign!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
You don't need a book or a moral compass. You need a Queensland road sign!
My collection is growing, I have taken it upon myself to remove any that I find unfit or unnecessary. The collection has become very popular around these parts and is housed in paddock number 3.

In fact, in an ironic twist, I have had to erect extensive signage on the surrounding roads to direct inquisitive passers-by towards the collection.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:57 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

My collection is growing, I have taken it upon myself to remove any that I find unfit or unnecessary. The collection has become very popular around these parts and is housed in paddock number 3.

In fact, in an ironic twist, I have had to erect extensive signage on the surrounding roads to direct inqusitive passers-by towards the collection.
Do you have one of the highly sought after electronic 'make up your own message' road signs?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:02 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Do you have one of the highly sought after electronic 'make up your own message' road signs?
I could only get hold of 2 faulty ones.

The first can only display "Slow Down" between the hours of 9am and 5pm ... it's a handy reminder that helps to counter the pace of modern life.

The second is solar powered but the battery does not charge so it only works when there is no cloud cover. When working it can only display "Fog".
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:04 am
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Vim....you live in Brisbane...get to the nearest beach and start walking East my friend....do not stop....keep walking....we are all right behind you mate...
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:11 am
Mostly Harmless

Vim....you live in Brisbane...get to the nearest beach and start walking East my friend....do not stop....keep walking....we are all right behind you mate...
Christ, I've only been here 5 minutes and now you think I can walk on water.

Thanks mate, that has boosted my self-esteem, exactly what I was looking for
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Shaping up to be a good one Buzzy!

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Isnt the thread about what we do better/worse here rather than whats better/worse about the place?
Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Correct.
and that is why I carefully did not title it "Things Australians do better than English people" or suchlike.
Good!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes but to say you have got better at sweating? Like you can turn it on and off somehow!

Buzzy
Acclimatisation?

OK, here's mine...

Better at:
Parenting (non-existent before hand)
House ownership
Agricultural - animal husbandry
My career - time in role has paid (expected) benefits
Power and Hand Tools
Ride On Mowing
Chainsaw use
Understanding pumps
Gardening - Veggie patches not flowers - (Chief does the front garden).
Carpentry
Building/dismantling sheds
Fire-fighting and many things associated with the emergency services
Wearing hats
Cooking
Doing situps - used to be very lazy about these.

Worse at:
Driving - I am so much lazier over here.
Not much else - our life is so different there is nothing to compare it to. There are... skills that have lapsed but they would have done anyhow: ie. past job skills - abseiling, shooting, climbing, parachuting, skiing. Some of these I could do here, I just haven't resumed them with the same intensity.
Taking risks - after all, I am a father now.

I could say I am worse at living in a faster environment, for example:
Worse at being grumpy about crowded places like London Terminuses.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 5:00 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Absolutely any thread that has a combination of two or three of these in its title always ends up as a slanging match. 'better' 'worse' 'Australia' 'UK'
You could have ended your list at 'Absolutely any thread'.

Yes that is great for you but you must respect other peoples views even if you do not like them.
Why? Honestly, of all the crap people spout on here this is my absolute favourite.

I mean let's say for instance, that someone says, "It's my personal view that we should be able to have sex with children from the age of 10," or, "It's my personal view that Islam is the one true religion and any infidels who are not devout followers of Mohammad should die."

I don't respect either of those views and, though yours obviously aren't in the same league and I've exagerated to make a point, I don't respect them either. So there you go - I don't respect your views and I'd like to see the contract I signed where I said I ever would?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:34 pm
Mostly Harmless

Is it fair to say that Australia suits people that like to muck in and have a go more than someone that wants everything on a plate?

I just get the impression that the people who thrive here are more 'hands on', what you get out is what you put in and all that.

<ducks>
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:41 pm
Banned

Is it fair to say that Australia suits people that like to muck in and have a go more than someone that wants everything on a plate?

I just get the impression that the people who thrive here are more 'hands on', what you get out is what you put in and all that.

<ducks>
Not at all, you can do everything in the UK that you can do in Oz, I like fixing everthing myself and love working on anythinf mechanical, it is the person not the Country...if you are hands on in the UK you will be hands on in Oz, if you are a lazt *** in the Uk you will be a lazy **** in Oz. the person is the same.
I am going back to Oz later this year but not to boring Perth and I will be the same person over there than I am over here....
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

<ducks>
Right colour, wrong place..make no mistake, Australia does offers some of that - but so does the UK (get it in quick...whilst the pen has barely made it's sweep...)

Not at all, you can do everything in the UK that you can do in Oz, I like fixing everthing myself and love working on anythinf mechanical, it is the person not the Country...if you are hands on in the UK you will be hands on in Oz, if you are a lazt *** in the Uk you will be a lazy **** in Oz. the person is the same.
I am going back to Oz later this year but not to boring Perth and I will be the same person over there than I am over here....
Yes.

There has never been any doubt in my mind that if you are a mindless *****wit then Australia won't change that basic fact after the initial honeymoon.

I even wonder if the people who bang on about culture, variety, (etc), how Australia has very few international music acts (even more etc), are, for example, really marginalised, misunderstood men who work for their local shire, lie with their Mam in a bedsit and last got excited when their student union at Uni organised a nude demo and spend all their time looking at CPU clock speeds and graphics cards on the internet.

Or bean-counters or accountants, who can't earn GBP150,000.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm taking the piss of course...don't take it too seriously...

to me it sometimes pays to have a look at the sort of person you are. Think twice and all the rest of it..

Buyer beware..but who ultimately who knows?

There's no shame in giving anything a go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.