Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things I have got better at and worse at since I came to Australia

Things I have got better at and worse at since I came to Australia

Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:06 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Things I have got better at and worse at since I came to Australia

It occurred to me the other day that there's a lot of things I have got better at since I came to Oz and a lot of things I'm well out of practice in. Some of these are naturally to be expected, however some are a bit of a surprise to me -

Things I have got better at

- Using power tools
- Reversing a trailer
- fishing
- Barbecuing
- Appreciating Coffee
- Conversing with strangers
- not stressing about being late
- knowing my wines
- smiling for no reason
- caring about protecting myself against the sun
- speaking and understanding the Australian dialect

Things I am out of practice with and used to be better at in the UK

- cooking
- parking
- being on time for things

What else have you improved at since you've been here?

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:37 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I have got better at and worse at since I came to Australia

great thread, tricky one to answer though... will get back to you.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:43 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Things I have got better at when in Oz

Living on less wages
Staying out of the sun because of the risks
Drinking less because of the price and the taste of Australian beer.
Ignoring the Australian racist comments at work.
swatting bloody flies
Sweating
Swerving hoons on the road
Telling them to piss off when they want to search my bag at supermarket check-outs.
Switching the TV off.
No grass...so no lawn-mowing
Knowing the zzzzzzzzzz of a mozzie as he is about to attack.
Regonising what insects are killers

Relaxing
Watching decent football
Drinking in a decent pub
Having a night out and a superb curry to finish
seasons
Banter with me mates.
Driving without fear
Cutting the lawn on a summers day with test cricket on the radio and a beer in my hand.

Last edited by Neil52; Jan 14th 2010 at 11:03 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:51 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Better At:
- Parenting
- Husbandry
- Cooking
- Maintaining 4 stroke engines and mechanical stuff in general
- Chainsawing
- Building fires
- Woodworking
- Financial control (by choice, not necessity)
- Ride-on mowing
- Building dog houses
- Pulling down patios and digging out new base for slab
- Defensive driving (this IS a necessity)
- Wearing shorts, hats and thongs
- Appreciating rain
- Appreciating the stars man, the stars
- Shagging

Worse At:
- Keeping in touch with family
- Posting on BE
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:52 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Things I have got better at and worse at since I came to Australia

Originally Posted by Neil52

Living on less wages
Realising that the UK was not that bad after all.
Yes I wondered if it would take more than 5 seconds for this sort of response to rock up.

By the way with the exception of the staying out of the sun, I haven't had any of the experiences described above.

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:54 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes I wondered if it would take more than 5 seconds for this sort of response to rock up.

By the way with the exception of the staying out of the sun, I haven't had any of the experiences described above.

Buzzy
Lucky you, many do.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:03 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you, many do.
How did the other 51 Neils fare?

We need to know, this could save someone making a terrible mistake.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DeadVim
How did the other 51 Neils fare?

We need to know, this could save someone making a terrible mistake.
Think they all went home.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Driving slowly.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Living on less wages
swatting bloody flies
Sweating
Swerving hoons on the road
Telling them to piss off when they want to search my bag at supermarket check-outs.
Switching the TV off.
No grass...so no lawn-mowing
Knowing the zzzzzzzzzz of a mozzie as he is about to attack.
Regonising what insects are killers

Relaxing
Watching decent football
Drinking in a decent pub
Having a night out and a superb curry to finish
seasons
Banter with me mates.
Driving without fear
Cutting the lawn on a summers day with test cricket on the radio and a beer in my hand.
There are apprently some people who go to sleep one night and then mysteriously wake up the next morning far far away in a place called Australia. I mean how the **** does that happen?!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by spartacus
There are apprently some people who go to sleep one night and then mysteriously wake up the next morning far far away in a place called Australia. I mean how the **** does that happen?!
It was only my honest opinion that was asked by the original poster.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:23 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Things I have got better at and worse at since I came to Australia

It was only my honest opinion that was asked by the original poster.
Yes but to say you have got better at sweating? Like you can turn it on and off somehow!

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:23 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Better at:

Filling in forms
Ride On Mowing (unfortunately our new house is on the side of a mountain so I'll have to get better at pushing a flipping mower again)
Gardening
Talking to check out operators
Not stressing - if its meant to be, it will be, if not, well there's always alternatives.
Calling flip flops thongs.
Remembering Woolies is for food shopping, not pick n mix
Eating pies, but not pork ones
having Christmas in the summer (although its still weird )
Wearing shorts all year round - however we're in the Blue Mountains now so I'll probably have to wear jeans and socks at some point
Dealing with warm rain!
Setting the air con
Parallel parking
Photography

Worse at:
Writing cheques - don't even have a flipping cheque book
Driving in the snow
Setting the central heating
Having a credit card - we made a conscious decision that we were never going down that track again!
Remembering birthdays and being organised enough to get cards and presents to the relevant people
Having time away from the kids - I don't miss a lot from the UK, but I do miss those weekends when they disappeared off to their Gran's house
Remembering to upload pictures so rellies can see them

No different at but should be better:
Haggling. Still can't do it
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Things I've got better at:

Being more outdoorsie
Not driving like I'm trying to get to a burning house
More tolerant with people, as they are with me
Appreciate where I'm living (Sydney, best place in the world

Things I've got worse at:

Calling home
Staying in touch with my brother and sisters
Saving
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes but to say you have got better at sweating? Like you can turn it on and off somehow!

Buzzy
I have learned to take a change of shirt when I go out and control my sweating in the extreme heat by shallow breathing which I was taught by my wife who is a nurse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.