Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:21 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future
Default Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Hello,

Just wondered if there are any items that are a high price in Australaia, and therefore a good idea to spend the money bringing over? I read on another site that apparently duvets are expensive?

Conversely, are there things that are comparatively cheap as chips, and therefore really not worth shipping out?

I am planning on bringing nothing except my bed which I only bought 2 months ago, and personal stuff like books, CDs etc, but thought it best to check out if there was something it would be worth bringing.

Thanks
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:49 pm
Banned

Hunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to all
Default Re: Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Bread!!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

gjc38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers x
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:37 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingToOz
Hello,
I am planning on bringing nothing except my bed which I only bought 2 months ago, and personal stuff like books, CDs etc, but thought it best to check out if there was something it would be worth bringing.

Thanks
Bring everything you can. I'm always amazed at the mentality of getting rid of all your possesions before migration. We wnt through something similar, only to arrive here, thinking, "why the hell did we get rid of the ... we've got to go out and buy another ..."

BTW to buy another ... (insert whatever) in Australia is always expensive if you want to match the quality. Here there's plenty of cheap stuff but it's crap like you wouldn't believe.

The things I wish I'd brought most are the lawnmower and chainsaw, sure it would have taken about a day to clean them but to replace them over here will cost a small fortune which I haven't got.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:09 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

If you've got a container then bring as much as you can (within AQIS rules). If looking for things to buy then books would be the big one; they are noticeably more expensive here. (However, note that the libraries are, in my opinion, better in Victoria than they are in the UK.) If buying books in the UK, I would recommend www.thebookpeople.co.uk

A

Last edited by kirsty&al; Sep 29th 2005 at 12:11 am.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:34 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjc38
Making sure that they are totally cleaned...so clean you can see your reflection in them!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by gjc38
I agree with the Vacuum cleaners (new) but I've found the lawn mowers cheaper here.

A
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

On the topic of bringing new goods in with your shipments, has anyone has problems with customs charging for goods under 12 months old?
..or do they not even bother looking in the container?
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ****** eejit
On the topic of bringing new goods in with your shipments, has anyone has problems with customs charging for goods under 12 months old?
..or do they not even bother looking in the container?
Assume that they are going to look in the container.

We declared all our stuff less than 12 months old and didn't have a problem. It was mostly presents and we indicated this, but the stuff that wasn't presents wasn't big in value. If you take the piss you will probably have a problem.

A
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:00 pm
Happy, happy Visa holders

Location: Back in Huddersfield, after fantastic time in Gold Coast
And&Mez has a spectacular aura aboutAnd&Mez has a spectacular aura aboutAnd&Mez has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Assume that they are going to look in the container.

We declared all our stuff less than 12 months old and didn't have a problem. It was mostly presents and we indicated this, but the stuff that wasn't presents wasn't big in value. If you take the piss you will probably have a problem.

A
bosch washing machine front loader make sure its made in germany for parts in oz
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Cars. Bring yours; I definitely am.

Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:27 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Cars. Bring yours; I definitely am.

You must love paying loads in import fees and shipping costs :scared:
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Originally Posted by Perthforme
You must love paying loads in import fees and shipping costs :scared:
Still cheaper than buying another one when I get there.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:49 pm
Parent Contr.143

lened is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

My priority is to bring all the items I'm emotionally attached to cos I will need to have these around me . Then I have worked out with the help of John Masons that most other things cost too much to ship over so I'll buy new when I get there.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

you obviously have not researched this. it is scarily expensive to import a car.
If you think tax in the UK is something to behold wait until you get you import bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.