Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of
Default Re: Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Cars. Bring yours; I definitely am.

Hi vash,

Would love to take my car but according to previous posts there is a problem with diesel? (Poor quality that screws up the engine management system)

Pretty sure you can't convert a diesel to LPG so that's that.

Flash.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about

Toothpaste for sensitive teeth
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
Hi vash,

Would love to take my car but according to previous posts there is a problem with diesel? (Poor quality that screws up the engine management system)

Pretty sure you can't convert a diesel to LPG so that's that.

Flash.
Never heard of that before, mate; Australian farmers wouldn't survive without diesel, and they seem to do alright. Poor quality diesel? Pfffft. Sounds like a silly rumour to me.

Anyway, diesel isn't as popular back home as it is in the UK; the savings are negligible, and Aussies don't really like driving hatcbacks that take several minutes to start and sound like lorries.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Originally Posted by GoingToOz
Hello,

Just wondered if there are any items that are a high price in Australaia, and therefore a good idea to spend the money bringing over? I read on another site that apparently duvets are expensive?

Conversely, are there things that are comparatively cheap as chips, and therefore really not worth shipping out?

I am planning on bringing nothing except my bed which I only bought 2 months ago, and personal stuff like books, CDs etc, but thought it best to check out if there was something it would be worth bringing.

Thanks
corduroy trousers and tank tops
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:06 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Things that are expensive in Oz & worth bringing over?

Originally Posted by The S's
you obviously have not researched this. it is scarily expensive to import a car.

If you think tax in the UK is something to behold wait until you get you import bill.
Actually I have researched it, thanks to this thread. I'm an Aussie citizen, so I could bring it over in the shipping container with the rest of my gear as a personal import.

The car I'd be shipping costs between £1000-£1200 in the UK, but around £4,000 back home in Australia. So even if it costs me £1500 to get it home, that's still a substantial saving on the cost of another one.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:22 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Still cheaper than buying another one when I get there.
Really !
What is it ? I had an 18 month old new bettle and sold it at the start of the year as didn,t think it was worth it , had it been an old classic in top cond then maybe , taking my bike though as only 10% gst on that
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:26 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the replies. I am leaving most things as they are not really great quality, and my hoover has just died anyway (oh dear....... )
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:33 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
you obviously have not researched this. it is scarily expensive to import a car.
If you think tax in the UK is something to behold wait until you get you import bill.
Depends on the value of the car, most European cars cost more.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Really !

What is it ? I had an 18 month old new bettle and sold it at the start of the year as didn,t think it was worth it , had it been an old classic in top cond then maybe , taking my bike though as only 10% gst on that
N-reg Mazda Astina.

You can buy 'em for £1000 here in the UK, but they cost around $10,000 back home. :scared:
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:37 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

I'm going to take the girlfriend, although she is also very expensive in Oz as well as the UK....!!!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:38 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

in hindsight I'd have taken front loading washing machine and bought a couple of spare 2nd hand ones for £20 out of the paper to take with me, I'd also have taken a lifetimes supply of washing liquid and fabric softner, I#m back in england at the m for a holiday and it is soooooo nice to have clean smelling clothes even though after 6 monts in oz I gave in and bought a front loader it still isnt as good as the pommy ones.

I'd also take dishwasher etc etc, the stuff you have can only be sold at 2nd hand prices, and to replace it all in oz is gonna cost a small or even large fortune.

an example, I bought an expresso machine in Oz for $250 when I got back to england 2 weeks ago I saw the exact same machine so bought it for my dad for £30, it is in my oppinion a hell of a lot cheaper in the Uk than back in OZ, the same goes for bedding, the asda smart price stuff for £3 a duvet cover is better quality than the cheap stuff in oz and he cheap stuff in oz is $30.

even my husband who has in aussie and just been over here in the UK for a quick holiday spent everyday shopping for clothes as it is so much cheaper.

another thing, I bought a microwave/convection oven/grill 3 months ago in oz the cheapest one I could find that wasn't really small was $800 (even the small ones were no cheaperthat $700) my dad bought one last week hich is smaller than mine but no smaller than the small ones in Oz for £60.

I'm seriously tempted buy a load of stuff here, store it at my dads for ayear and ship it all over, I honestly think it would save me a small fortune

Kala
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:39 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I have researched it, thanks to this thread. I'm an Aussie citizen, so I could bring it over in the shipping container with the rest of my gear as a personal import.

The car I'd be shipping costs between £1000-£1200 in the UK, but around £4,000 back home in Australia. So even if it costs me £1500 to get it home, that's still a substantial saving on the cost of another one.
You should look into it in more detail, the car will be classed as an import, therefore worth less when you come to sell it.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
You should look into it in more detail, the car will be classed as an import, therefore worth less when you come to sell it.
I have no intention of selling it; I intend to drive it until it falls apart.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:42 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I drive an imported car in Oz, it realy in;t too much of a problem but some insurance companies won't insure it so you have to shop arround a bit.

There are more and more imports on the aussie roads by the day especially Japanese.

Kala
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future

And we complain about rip off Britain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.