Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things that bite?

Things that bite?

Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

samjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nice
Default Things that bite?

Looking to move to Perth next year, son has fear of spiders and snakes. Are there many in that area or is it in the bush??Are mosquitos a problem at dusk? Are sharks and box jellyfish just on East side? God my family are right wimps, so thought I'd better check it out.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that bite?

Originally Posted by samjones1999
Looking to move to Perth next year, son has fear of spiders and snakes. Are there many in that area or is it in the bush??Are mosquitos a problem at dusk? Are sharks and box jellyfish just on East side? God my family are right wimps, so thought I'd better check it out.
Sharks all round australia and jelly fish and blue ringed octpus and various spiders and snakes. Loads of stuff here that "can" bite you.
Worst thing we've had to deal with is cockroaches. Seen a shark last weekend at the beach, was chasing fish though. Have been told more likely to see a snake in built up areas as higher concentrations of rats? Personally been in WA (rural) for 7 week? and not seen a deadly spider nor snake , loads of cockroaches and some big lizards so far oh and billions of ants that do bite....
Old Mar 13th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

samjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nice

Has anyone been attacked by a shark in WA?, the ones I hear about tend to be in Queensland.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nice

Has anyone been attacked by a shark in WA?, the ones I hear about tend to be in Queensland.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/ma...1227-75t9.html

Note: Nearly all shark attacks occur only when you are wet.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

forget the things that bite, just don't stand on any of these buggers,
Attached Thumbnails Things that bite?-august-sept-oct2006-513.jpg  
Old Mar 13th 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

What the hell is that?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

What the hell is that?
it's a portuguese man-o- war jellyfish,i used to take my dog a walk on whitfords dog beach in perth,there was loads of them washed up dead,even then they can give a painful sting as i found to my cost....

have a look at the thread i did some time back, entitled ,aussie wildlife.
i put a few pictures up.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Australia for 26 years and here are my viewings of the deadliest creatures in the world!!

Sharks - only saw them in the Aquarium

Snakes
- seen 3 red bellied black snakes in all that time, one of them dead in the road, 2 in long grass, 1 in Nowra, 1 on Bulli Pass.

Spiders
- few huntsmen, a few red backs, a few assorted others, never saw the Sydney funnel web (thank God)

Jellyfish - only dead on the beach.

Seen lots of disgusting cockroaches and LOADS of bluddy annoying flies!!!!

Don't let the scare mongering TV programmes put you off, unless of course you plan to live in the bush. The majority of people live in the suburbs.......
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thank god for that, I was getting nervous and I don't even mind spiders.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 5:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Thank god for that, I was getting nervous and I don't even mind spiders.
I'm sure lots of people will come on here with horror stories!!

My (ex) husband used to check in and under the kids beds every day for years looking for all kinds of deadly creatures, never saw a one!!

Mind you as I said we lived in the suburbs of either Sydney or Wollongong NSW, not sure about WA though............
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:38 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I'm sure lots of people will come on here with horror stories!!

My (ex) husband used to check in and under the kids beds every day for years looking for all kinds of deadly creatures, never saw a one!!

Mind you as I said we lived in the suburbs of either Sydney or Wollongong NSW, not sure about WA though............
I've been in WA for a year now, so far I have seen . . .

Snakes - none
Sharks - none
Spiders - numerous redbacks, a couple of huntsman, a couple of white tails
Scorpian - one in the baby's chair
Jellyfish - tiny ones dead on the beach
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We live fairly rural and have had a couple of red backs, but none in the house.
Have seen a couple of snakes - usualy Tiger but mainly when dead on the road.
Havent seen any jelly fish and i surf a LOT. Nor any sharks, though we did have a warning last summer and the beach evacuated. But it was probably a pair of dolphins.
I also work in the bush and dont even come across much there. Snakes are very timid and will hide away from humans.
The only pest are the flies!
Old Mar 14th 2010, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I've been in WA for a year now, so far I have seen . . .

Snakes - none
Sharks - none
Spiders - numerous redbacks, a couple of huntsman, a couple of white tails
Scorpian - one in the baby's chair
Jellyfish - tiny ones dead on the beach
Been here 6 months...

Snakes - one dead, coiled up at the start of the trail into the nature reserve
Sharks - none
Spiders - two redbacks in the garage, one huntsman, about four white tails
Scorpion - none
Jellyfish - tiny ones dead on the beach, yeah, don't step on them
Roaches- a few in the garage, don't know why as there's no food out there and recently one found its way into the stroller basket on the walk to school
Flies- thousands
Old Mar 14th 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

3 months northern brisbane semi rural

snakes
2 green tree snakes
1 baby eastern brown
1 carpet python that wrapped round our border collie puppy and bit him just above his eye both were ok after

spiders
2 redbacks in the garden almost none in the house
sharks
never seen one
horse flys
loads in the garden (painfull bite)
jellyfish
a couple of blue bottle stings
mossies
we seem to always have a fresh mossie bite somewere
Old Mar 14th 2010, 5:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Japonica
Been here 6 months...

Snakes - one dead, coiled up at the start of the trail into the nature reserve
Sharks - none
Spiders - two redbacks in the garage, one huntsman, about four white tails
Scorpion - none
Jellyfish - tiny ones dead on the beach, yeah, don't step on them
Roaches- a few in the garage, don't know why as there's no food out there and recently one found its way into the stroller basket on the walk to school
Flies- thousands
I'm obviously living in the 'wrong' bit of the Illawarra. In four years I've seen...

Snakes - plenty. The area I take the dog walking is classic red belly country. In four years I must have seen 30 or 40.... Including one huge one. Dog knows to steer well clear.

Sharks - none

Spiders - redbacks on the garden fences are a permanent fixture. Huntsman are a daily occurence at some times of the year. Actually been bitten by a white tail... flesh didn't rot and no part of me dropped off. Paper wasp sting is MUCH more painful

Scorpion - three in the house. never seen any outside but they must be there

Jellyfish - Can't say I've seen many/any. Bluebottles abound.

Roaches - everywhere. Mortein is a must. I was thinking of training a couple to take my wheelie bins out.

Flies - billions.

Bees and wasps - buggers seem to love my house. I've had pest exterminators out three times in as many years to tackle bees setting up home in my house. I've just been outside and counted the number of paper wasp nests on one wall of the house and there are 11 of them.

Mozzies - The biggest pain of the lot. Aeroguard is a must at some times of the year.

Thread is lacking in piccies... so here's one of a paper wasp from my back garden.
Attached Thumbnails Things that bite?-wasp.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.