Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The thing that drives me absolutely mental

Wikiposts

The thing that drives me absolutely mental

Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:07 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Megalania
Putting it to bed, the sun rises earlier in London's summer:

BRISBANE
Southern Winter Solstice: June 22, 2003 Sunrise 6:38 AM Sunset 5:02 PM; DAY=10:24.

Southern Summer Solstice: December 22, 2003 Sunrise 4:50 AM Sunset 6:43 PM; DAY=13:53.

LONDON
Northern Summer Solstice: June 22, 2003 Sunrise 4:43 AM Sunset 9:21 PM; DAY=16:38.

Northern Winter Solstice: December 22, 2003 Sunrise 8:04 AM 3:54 PM; DAY=07:50.

Now now Meg, posts like these just upset those in oz who know better.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

When we went to Oz in April, we were sitting in a resaurant having a lovely steak meal, when at 9.00pm it started emptying. At 9.15 the waitress asked if we had finished eating because they were ready to close up!!! This was in Keppera area not that far from Samford.

Yes, people generally get up earlier and go to be at 9pm, as our hosts did a few times!! We were just getting ready to party!?!

Mandy
Old Oct 15th 2003, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Now now Meg, posts like these just upset those in oz who know better.

Well Pete,

I personally have no trouble with Megs factual post but your added comments are tiresome.

Donna
Old Oct 15th 2003, 2:56 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by scrawni
When we went to Oz in April, we were sitting in a resaurant having a lovely steak meal, when at 9.00pm it started emptying. At 9.15 the waitress asked if we had finished eating because they were ready to close up!!! This was in Keppera area not that far from Samford.

Yes, people generally get up earlier and go to be at 9pm, as our hosts did a few times!! We were just getting ready to party!?!

Mandy
In some ways I do find this a bit strange. I would have thought Oz to be similar to Spain/Italy and the like (especially seeing as there are so many Med people over there). In Spain, as i am sure most here know, they eat late, normally about 9 or 10, when it starts to cool off. You find this in alot of hotter countries.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 2:58 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by karawara88
Well Pete,

I personally have no trouble with Megs factual post but your added comments are tiresome.

Donna
Then mute me. Go up the top and stick moi on ignore.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We are early risers over here but that doesn't mean I want it dark early too!!
Anyone want to start a petition up for daylight saving in Qld - I'll sign it!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:22 am
WBB

Originally posted by tinaj
We are early risers over here but that doesn't mean I want it dark early too!!
Anyone want to start a petition up for daylight saving in Qld - I'll sign it!

yeah i agree it does get dark way too early and really quickly, one minute it is bright daylight the next it is pitch black.

pass me that petition

Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:01 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
In some ways I do find this a bit strange. I would have thought Oz to be similar to Spain/Italy and the like (especially seeing as there are so many Med people over there). In Spain, as i am sure most here know, they eat late, normally about 9 or 10, when it starts to cool off. You find this in alot of hotter countries.
Now you mention it, I remember people going to bed earlier, but also people eating later than here in Holland. Here it is more 6 o'clock, and some even at 5, but I remember quite a lot in Oz where they were eating at 7 and sometimes 8.

Anybody recognise this, because I can't remember if this was just a few people I knew or nearly everyone?

And the thing about it getting dark very quickly: I remember that clearly from july 2000 in Perth. But maybe it seemed such a big difference because we were coming from the european summer?
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by karawara88
Well Pete,

Donna
Donna I just have to laugh sometimes, Summer in UK as they keep telling us is what 2 days!! Early mornings drag on here for at least half the year, still at least in winter we can sleep in to 6.30!

Sun in Pommersland, quite sedate as I recall,
sun in OZ zero to melonoma in 10 minutes.

Sunrise may well be 4.50 but we all know with the strength of the sun here its getting light well before that an hour at least here. Sunrise is not when its starts rising!

Plus the noise, have you heard the birds here, big ugly screetching crows and Kookaburras, cat birds, OMG anybody who has lived here knows exactly what I am saying.
LOUD.

Spring now, 3.52 our whole house wide awake, by 6am nail guns going off over the road as builders start.

Still some may love the pre 4am starts for half the year, will give them more time to worship OZ

Last edited by dotty; Oct 15th 2003 at 8:53 am.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:51 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by Simone82
Now you mention it, I remember people going to bed earlier, but also people eating later than here in Holland. Here it is more 6 o'clock, and some even at 5, but I remember quite a lot in Oz where they were eating at 7 and sometimes 8.

Anybody recognise this, because I can't remember if this was just a few people I knew or nearly everyone?

And the thing about it getting dark very quickly: I remember that clearly from july 2000 in Perth. But maybe it seemed such a big difference because we were coming from the european summer?
Just asked the wife and she reckons she always used to eat about 7ish, which is about the same as we do here. At the weekend they always ate dinner at lunchtime.

And getting dark quickly...it gets even more pronounced the further north you do. Up in Darwin the sun literally seems to drop out of the sky!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 10:33 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
Donna I just have to laugh sometimes, Summer in UK as they keep telling us is what 2 days!! Early mornings drag on here for at least half the year, still at least in winter we can sleep in to 6.30!

Sun in Pommersland, quite sedate as I recall,
sun in OZ zero to melonoma in 10 minutes.

Sunrise may well be 4.50 but we all know with the strength of the sun here its getting light well before that an hour at least here. Sunrise is not when its starts rising!

Plus the noise, have you heard the birds here, big ugly screetching crows and Kookaburras, cat birds, OMG anybody who has lived here knows exactly what I am saying.
LOUD.

Spring now, 3.52 our whole house wide awake, by 6am nail guns going off over the road as builders start.

Still some may love the pre 4am starts for half the year, will give them more time to worship OZ
Get a shotgun, sneak around the corner of the house, steady it against the corner of the kid's bedroom, take aim, squeeze trigger, BOW-FANG, in a single puff of feathers, the kids bound out of bed full of beans and ready for life, neighbours know it is time to start baking Kookaburras pie and life resumes it's heady rhythm.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Megalania
Get a shotgun, sneak around the corner of the house, steady it against the corner of the kid's bedroom, take aim, squeeze trigger, BOW-FANG, in a single puff of feathers, the kids bound out of bed full of beans and ready for life, neighbours know it is time to start baking Kookaburras pie and life resumes it's heady rhythm.
Shotguns and I dont mix. Shot a Magpie that had just about ripped the eyes out of everykid in the neighbourhood. Childhating neighbour calls police, police tell me they would have done same thing however its not really a good way for Pom women to act in Suburbis, let me off with warning.

Shortly after all guns were banned, (not due to me but the physcho who went mad and killed 30 odd in Tassie). We even had to give up the air rifle. Alas my cowboy days are dead and gone.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 11:59 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Shotguns and I dont mix. Shot a Magpie that had just about ripped the eyes out of everykid in the neighbourhood. Childhating neighbour calls police, police tell me they would have done same thing however its not really a good way for Pom women to act in Suburbis, let me off with warning.

Shortly after all guns were banned, (not due to me but the physcho who went mad and killed 30 odd in Tassie). We even had to give up the air rifle. Alas my cowboy days are dead and gone.
Must admit, life sans shot gun is becoming more difficult.

OK, suggest brewing up a batch of wheat laced with strychnine.

First, acustomize the parrots etc with generous supplies in the bird feeder then one day substitute the laced wheat. Within an hour your neighbourhood will ascend into glorious ear ringing deathly silence. The good thing is it also gets rid of lots of neighbourhood dogs and cats - they never can resist free parrot.

Oh, if your country cousins won't oblige with the neccessary substance, you might need a license:

Application Guide for Strychnine Permits
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:52 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It is the Dottinator. No magpie in Brisbane is safe with you armed.