Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life's a Beach! Then the tide comes in!!

Life's a Beach! Then the tide comes in!!

Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Life's a Beach! Then the tide comes in!!

Has anyone else looked into moving to areas away form the more popular coastal (within 100k) areas in either NSW or QLD? Places like Parks, Orange and Bathhurst in NSW sping to mind as being inviting, though work in some of the more regular professions may not be available. It seams to me that the majority of folk are moving towards the coastal towns when inland (just a wee bit) there is an awful lot to offer, including much cheeper housing.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hubby and I are hoping to be in the country say about 30 - 40 mins inland on between Brisbane and Maroochydore, possibly the toens that go on teh train line, like Palmwoods, Mooloolah.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:52 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Life's a Beach! Then the tide comes in!!

Originally posted by scotvness
Has anyone else looked into moving to areas away form the more popular coastal (within 100k) areas in either NSW or QLD? Places like Parks, Orange and Bathhurst in NSW sping to mind as being inviting, though work in some of the more regular professions may not be available. It seams to me that the majority of folk are moving towards the coastal towns when inland (just a wee bit) there is an awful lot to offer, including much cheeper housing.
Hi,

My brother went to NSW's 11 years ago, Windsor to be exact, house prices have risen rapidly, he paid $140,000 his house is now worth over $250 but its a great area, hes a chippy ( carpenter) and travels all over inc Sydney which i think he told me takes about an hour in the mornings due to traffic...not sure if this helps or is relevant to your post but hope it helps....i think orange and bathhurst is close to windsor....anyway goodluck

tigger
Old Oct 15th 2003, 10:18 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

While I live in Sydney, we have a place up in the Blue Mountains, where we're building a houe on 116 acres, fairly near to Lithgow (halfway to Orange) Gorgeous countryside (if you like rolling hills, which I do), VERY friendly, helpful Aussies, many from UK backgrounds, even to several generations back, with wicked senses of humour! You'll get the usual teasing about being a Pommy, but it's VERY good natured, and these people would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it. All they ask in return is that you accept them the way that they are, which is very easy to do.

Cheaper than living in the city. House prices are lower than the city, but having said that house prices all over Oz are rising rapidly - about 20% per annum the last I heard. Still, for the cost of a modest 2 bed terrace in south east England, you can get a 4 bed detached with a pool. That's a no-brainer!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 12:58 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Life's a Beach! Then the tide comes in!!

Originally posted by scotvness

Most people live near the coast for a reason. Here in Brisbane, south east queensland, it's cooler on the coast.. you go inland a bit and it gets too hot and muggy. Take Ipswich, it gets some of the hottest temps around the Brisbane region in summer and in the winter it gets some of the coldest nights. Plus the major cities and towns are on the coast.. it's where the work is.

Maybe ok if you live in a cooler part of Aus, but for most people in the Brisbane/southeast QLD region .. they prefer to be on, or near the coast for jobs and temp relating reasons.

If the area has cheap housing.. delve a bit. You'll probably find that it's a high unemployment area.
cheers
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:02 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I lived in Ipswich for a couple of years as a kid, and found it fine, climate wise. But, thinking about it, we moved to Ipswich after living in Mount Isa for nearly three years, so anything would have seemed cooler!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The difference between Eastern and Western Suburbs in Summer is 5C. And in winter the western burbs are a few degrees colder.

The mullets in Western Sydney must make life difficult in the heat.