Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The thing that drives me absolutely mental

Wikiposts

The thing that drives me absolutely mental

Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:20 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
And where might YATALA be????? :scared:

I hope your not sending me anywhere dodgy.
LOL its in Logan ..... ok ok ok, not quite, but close . Its just south of Beenleigh on the highway down to the Gold Coast.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:23 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

And where might YATALA be????? :scared:

I hope your not sending me anywhere dodgy.
lol

Towards the Gold coast. I actually think it falls under the Gold coast area.

I just remember seeing a sign somewhere, didn't know if it was an old one or what
I think it's on that road that leads down towards the logan river. farming country... watch out!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
LOL its in Logan ..... ok ok ok, not quite, but close . Its just south of Beenleigh on the highway down to the Gold Coast.
Dodgy it is then Can just see it now, pop in to get me popcorn come back and the cars been nicked!!

All the ones that were up here now have housing estates built on them, if it does not move stick a housing estate on it sad really.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:30 pm
owieb

Do you have many open air cinemas in Brisbane?

There's loads in Perth and they are fantastic, especially the one in Kings Park.

Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by owieb
Do you have many open air cinemas in Brisbane?

There's loads in Perth and they are fantastic, especially the one in Kings Park.
South Bank parklands and fake beach, show movies sit on the grass take a picnic, good 1.5 hours drive from us now tho. Usually family type things tho lots of young kids from memory.

Buderim has a once a year concert outside, bit hoity toity, tweed trouser mob, wine and nibblies type get up, would probably get arrested if I started lobbing popcorn. No movies tho.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In Sydney there is the moonlight cinema in Centennial park which will show classic films as well as new releases.

Check this out

http://www.moonlight.com.au/
Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:48 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Dodgy it is then Can just see it now, pop in to get me popcorn come back and the cars been nicked!!

All the ones that were up here now have housing estates built on them, if it does not move stick a housing estate on it sad really.
I was saying watch out for the farmers..lol.. some of them may take a fancy to fair English lass.

No I don't think it's dodgy.. it is on a road which leads through horse farms and such, there's a lot of cane farming further down too.. I'm sure it's the one I'm thinking of.. at the bottom of the road you come to a boat ramp.. Jacobs well. It's probably where I saw my sign .. I was going fishing.

cheers
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:04 pm
owieb

South Bank parklands and fake beach, show movies sit on the grass take a picnic, good 1.5 hours drive from us now tho. Usually family type things tho lots of young kids from memory.

Buderim has a once a year concert outside, bit hoity toity, tweed trouser mob, wine and nibblies type get up, would probably get arrested if I started lobbing popcorn. No movies tho.
That's a surprise, Perth has at least 3 or 4 in the CBD area alone, as well as numerous outdoor events throughout the summer.

Kings Park has an outdoor theatre which I went to last year and watched Romeo & Juliet, they built the stage in amongst the trees and lakes and used all the natural surroundings as part of the scenery.

They also put on a free opera event. The main opera was taking place in the city hall, but they setup 4 huge screens on the riverfront to broadcast it live; you could just rock up and watch.

SunsetCinema do the Kings Park one and looking at their website they also do Brisbane too! Checkout www.sunsetcinema.com.au

Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
In Sydney there is the moonlight cinema in Centennial park which will show classic films as well as new releases.

Check this out

http://www.moonlight.com.au/
There is another one Blacktown, Sydney, although it would take a lot more than that to persuade me to venture anywhere near Blacktown.

http://www.greaterunion.com.au/
Old Oct 14th 2003, 6:28 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by owieb
You need to get yourself to Perth Dotty, http://www.galaxydrivein.com.au/ not been myself but sounds fun.
Oh, cool, I was just gonna ask if this still exists!
And they've still got the 2 movie thing too!
Went there as a kid, saw Mrs Doubtfire and The Sandlot. (about kids and baseball)
Old Oct 14th 2003, 6:45 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody else see the funny side in these posts, everyone in OZ (you know living there, experiencing it, putting up with it etc) agreed its a real bummer.

However Magically overnight everyone in the UK turned it into some great big plus, yeah yeah we all really believe your going to be thrilled with 4am starts, restaurants closing at 8pm and beddy bise at 9. Sure sure sure

You can pick it, everytime, its gonna happen!!

lol, well, I'm not from the UK, but I'm still gonna defend myself :P
4.30 definetly sucks!
I'm going to Perth where it'll be a bit better, luckily.
Nobody has said anything good about restaurants closing at 8, that's annoying too, and I'll have to get used to that. Or maybe not, cos usually here I go quite early, otherwise get too hungry
Bed at 9, well, I don't think that's usually the case, but 10, 10.30 I don't mind. I like lots of sleep, well, or we'll have to adjust to our new country by getting up a bit earlier, which hopefully won't be too difficult. It helps if it's light and it's warm (a big part of the time).

Dotty, maybe they have those (electrical) screen things, that you put on the outside of the window in Oz? keep out ALL light out and probably some sound too.
They seem to be all the rage here, don't know why, stupid expensive ugly things.(they're usuallly white) People also have them to keep out burglurars(sp????) too. Or maybe that's the main reason.

Well, good luck with the light problem
Probably getting worse and worse everyday now right?
arrgggghhh

Hope they do daylight saving soon! What are the reasons for not doing it I wonder?
Old Oct 14th 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Dotty, my mate told me the best pies in Oz are in Yatala!!!

Anyone heard of Helensvale?

Debs
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:02 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Putting it to bed, the sun rises earlier in London's summer:

BRISBANE
Southern Winter Solstice: June 22, 2003 Sunrise 6:38 AM Sunset 5:02 PM; DAY=10:24.

Southern Summer Solstice: December 22, 2003 Sunrise 4:50 AM Sunset 6:43 PM; DAY=13:53.

LONDON
Northern Summer Solstice: June 22, 2003 Sunrise 4:43 AM Sunset 9:21 PM; DAY=16:38.

Northern Winter Solstice: December 22, 2003 Sunrise 8:04 AM 3:54 PM; DAY=07:50.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:44 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Amsterdam:
June 22, 2003 5:18 AM 10:06 PM

Sounds about right, BUT I found:
October 15, 2003 8:05 AM 6:47 PM

That's today, and sunrise was at about 7.05 AM

So, has the website got the time zones mixed up, or has it to do with daylightsaving, which it doesn't take into consideration?

Now I'm getting sooooo confused. Am really not good at all these time calculations, but want to figure it out!
Not that it's important or anything!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Can just imagine you with a red streak down the middle of your face

Or if you are a farmer, a ring around you neck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.