Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There is something I've missed. I know its sad but it's online shopping

There is something I've missed. I know its sad but it's online shopping

Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: There is something I've missed. I know its sad but it's online shopping

Online shopping in oz is rubbish. There is a distinct lack of web designers over here. The best ones are target and kmart they have a few pages from a catalogue online but you cant actually buy anything!! You can't even use maestro/ eftpos cards to buy stuff online, they only accept credit cards, how annoying.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There is something I've missed. I know its sad but it's online shopping

Originally Posted by markbhx
Online shopping in oz is rubbish. There is a distinct lack of web designers over here. The best ones are target and kmart they have a few pages from a catalogue online but you cant actually buy anything!! You can't even use maestro/ eftpos cards to buy stuff online, they only accept credit cards, how annoying.
Just get a Visa or Mastercard Debit card - most banks do them these days - Commonwealth, ANZ, Bendigo Bank etc
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

My first Aussie online grocery order arrived last night on the first day of running in WA

When I did my ordering online, it showed any special offers ie: I sometimes get heart smart mince and sometimes get 4 star. It showed me that 4star was on offer so I opted for that one. My only gripe would be that for ordering meat items they based everything on a 250g option so if you wanted say 750g you would have to order 3 of each item. Tesco used to do a drop down menu of choosing between say 250 -500g, 500 - 750g, etc. I don't see how the Coles system can work with a joint of meat. How can you possible say what size leg of lamb you want? Guess this is something that they need to hone, and I am fully aware that this is very new. A big plus is that everything was also unit priced. I ordered a salad bag as I wanted to check if they brought out stuff with quite a good use by date on it and the salad is dated for May 5th, so that's good.

Anyway, there were only two items that I'd ordered that I didn't get yet I'd already received an email at lunchtime today to say the two items were out of stock. I had opted not to have an alternative if something was unavailable. I only ordered a couple of meat items as I wanted to check them out first but the meat looks great.

My delivery was scheduled for between 5-7pm and arrived at 5.10pm. I could have paid online with a credit card but choose to pay eftpos mobile when the stuff was delivered, thus not having to worry about any refunds for something that wasn't available or didn't turn up.

The only other thing I really want to do now is to take my priced delivery slip physically around a store so I can check the prices.

But otherwise I am very happy.

Oh, and...... I've also been given some free samples of soup, muesli and a free cook book. A very nice one too
Old May 1st 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Mine turned up tonight, only they were an hour late! Nice lady from Coles rung me to say they were running late, had new drivers that were getting lost, but all in all a good experience, everything I ordered was there, I also got the soup, museli and cookbook.

Will give it another go in a couple of weeks, I personally prefer to shop at woolies cos for me the rewards card offers me a better deal with the shopping voucher every 4 months.

I emailed Woolies to ask when they were going to start online in Perth and they said they had no plans at the present time, they are probably waiting to see how Coles go with it. But one things for sure, if they do take the plunge, I'll be one of the first to sign up, I'm loving the idea that tomorrow I dont have to go shopping! I was very impressed with the $22 vegie box that I ordered.

SaL X
Old May 1st 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the story with Woolies reward cards.What do you get.
Old May 1st 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Is online shopping popular in Adelaide/SA?
Old May 1st 2009, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Just out of interest, what websites are these?

Here in Tas, they don't know what online shopping is, so would be keen to know if I can order online to save the ordeal of shopping in 60's style shopping arcades with clothing and goods to match!

Sam
Hi Sammy,

Is the choice of shops really 60's style,is it really that bad in Tassie?
Old May 1st 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fish.01
You guys are always so balanced in your opinions

Australians are the third biggest online shoppers in the world, and spent 38 per cent more buying products and services over the Internet than a year ago, according to new figures released today by Visa International.

Australians spent A$617.1 million in ecommerce sales using Visa cards in March 2005, up from A$446.9 million in March 2004. This puts Australia in third place of the world’s biggest online spenders by total sales volume, behind only the US and UK, and ahead of Canada and Japan. The average ecommerce transaction value in Australia was A$142.

Visa data provides a reliable indicator of consumer spending trends as cards are the preferred method of payment online, with more than 50 per cent of total online payments done using Visa credit or debit cards.

“The data is quite astonishing given Australia’s relatively small population, and confirms that we are among the leaders in embracing the Internet as a global retail channel,” said Mr. Bruce Mansfield, General Manager, Australia and New Zealand, Visa International.
Just to clarify what this is saying, remember it talks about Australians using Visa's cards to buy over the net. That is NOT buying from Australian retailers but could be anywhere in the world.

Thus I would agree that online shopping over here is pants in comparison to other countries, but this report is not saying that, it is saying that they like to use their visa's cards more than many other markets (whether it be credit or debit), and thus they could be shopping in any other country in the world.

Plus, it probably typifies the state of the global economy that the US spends more than anyone on credit or debit, and the UK is second.

Which probably means, as we are seeing, the recession is hitting here as Australians spend more (potentially) on the never-never!

Thus, online shopping in Aus is very poor in comparison, but this report shows how much Australians like to spend elsewhere in the world as well...
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:12 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
120 million $5 desktop trickling water features?

60 million cheap $10 copies of a Borner v-slicer?

Or maybe like me they got suckered in to a 95% duck down 'Queen Size' duvet, that fits no queen size dimensions known in any country......I guess I'll make my own cover then???? :curse:
Hi in New Zealand queen size fit a UK king size...and have to say I do on line shopping back to the uk from NZ so when I move over it will be no change for me.
Lin
Old May 4th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shoshana
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/

http://www.wishlist.com.au

There are some more I used to use, will look when i get home tonight...
Remember to go through www.buckscoop.com.au to earn cashback from dealsdirect, currently 4.5%
Old May 4th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

yep i find online shopping in australia extremely poor.

so whats the best overseas sites to use? as the postage on most items usually puts the prices up to aussie equivalent or more in some cases
then im not sure if theres import tax to pay on some items/values

ive found amazon great for getting presents for family back in the uk, and they post some items to australia.
ive just orderd 5 dvd`s (full series stuff like coast n michael palin) cost just less than $100 including postage,p&p was about $4per dvd then $10 per order .worked out a lot cheaper than buying from the ABC shop

for books ive found this site useful www.bookdepository.co.uk you pay uk retail price on books but get free worldwide shipping

anyone know any other decent online shops with good postage rates to australia?
Old May 6th 2009, 5:15 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

I have hundreds of links on my site to online shopping stores some are good and some are how shall i put it "not so good" but they are out there if you know where to look...
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz miller man
for books ive found this site useful www.bookdepository.co.uk you pay uk retail price on books but get free worldwide shipping
10% off http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/14172
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I shop on line all the time have done for a long long time. We renovated our pond recently and got all the stuff off line, delivered the next day from an Adelaide company and we are in Melbourne.

The problem is know where the sites are and being in a new country its a whole new ball game.

My daughter shops on line continually buying clothes from the US and even with the postage they are still cheaper than equivalent here. She also buys from small retailers in UK. Wallets from Singapore

We do not do online shopping although Safeway and Coles do it here in Vic. We are only 10 mins from both so bit too lazy for me to do that.

Ezibuy for clothese is a good site and if you get their emails often give delivery free.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I use Ebay a lot - there are lots of shops on there as well as 2nd hand stuff. Just updated my account with Aussie addresses and reregistered with PayPal. Easy! Got something on a van winging its way to me as I speak - very professional service from this company - registered e-parcel with tracking through AusPost - it is on a van with driver from 5:24 this morning!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.